Crash at the 466 Southern Trace Shopping Center.

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Be advised, Publix has no outdoor cameras to record any type of incident. My wife was attacked by a woman, slapped and pushed down right in front of the store. We filed a police report but the state atty. chose not to pursue a prosecution due to no visual record of the attack. Witness statements were taken on the scene to no avail. I talked to the store manager and asked why no cameras. He stated it will not happen unless the store goes through a renovation. Be careful there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
About ten years ago in Baltimore my mother was coming out of a Shop-Rite Grocery Store and was on the sidewalk outside under roof, very similar to Publix. She tripped on the curb stepping down and broke her hip and was taken away in an ambulance. The next day I had two lawyers call. One from Shop-Rite wanting to know how much it would cost to settle and another lawyer wanting to represent my mother with her injuries. I guess they have informants at the hospitals. I told them both, I wasn't interested in any money, the Shop-rite lawyer called 3 or 4 times, I guess they couldn't believe we didn't want to sue.

After this experience, I find it difficult to believe that Publix didn't want to get involved in an altercation that happened almost on the store's premises as you described. I also can't believe the police would do so little. I think if you gave an interview to The Villages News or posted your story online on this site and Facebook, you might of gotten some attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You all make it sound like it's Publix's responsibility to have cameras on someone else's property. Remember Publix is a tenant. The plaza is not their property, they have no ownership or responsibility regarding what happens outside their walls UNLESS one of their own employees is directly involved, while on the clock.

If you want cameras to record activity in the parking lot or anywhere else outside the store, you need to ask the owner of the property to install them. I believe the owner of Southern Trace shopping plaza is the Holding Company of the Villages, LLC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Why did you quote my post, I don't see any reason for your response to my post. I never mentioned cameras. I mentioned Shop-Rite, not Publix, and I told a story that released the merchant from any responsibility and took full responsibility for the incident in not suing. If you disagree with a poster, select that poster to quote.

Now that you mention it, cameras at Publix does sound reasonable. If you watched ID Channel, Investigation Discovery as much as I do, you wouldn't believe how many crimes are solved by cameras at Walmart. Not just on the premises, but the customer buying duct tape and a suit case at 2am.
You were responding directly to the post about wanting security cameras. If you intended your post to have nothing to do with security cameras, I don't believe you would have responded to that post, and instead, hit the quick reply button without quoting them.

That was why I posted "you all make it sound" as indicated in my bolded/underlined quote above. You all, as in - you, and whoever else. I was including that other person in my "all" but I didn't multi-quote, as I am doing here.

You support your previous post, and my interpretation of it, by adding in your new post that you think Publix having security cameras is a swell idea. And my opinion on the matter stands: the property is not Publix's property outside their walls. Having cameras might be an awesome idea (and I actually agree) but it isn't the store's responsibility to install them. It's the Villages Holding Company's responsibility.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Sage

Well, Dang It! John W. is just not following Robert's Rules of Posting Procedure.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 AM
Sage

John_W vs OBB...this should be fun!!
Old 03-04-2020, 11:19 AM
Sage

Volley & Serve
Old 03-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The man who crashed Monday is a 55 year old from Oxford according to the few paragraphs in The Villages Daily Sun today in the Local Section. He did have a medical episode which caused him to lose control of his car.

Went to that Publix yesterday to pick up a few things. I go to a number of Publixes here in the Villages but this is the closest to Lynnhaven.

They are working hard to clean up the bushes that were damaged. And there were a number of workers outside of the Hair Salon.
"Medical episode" seems to be a term used so frequently when one of us senior citizens is involved in an accident. It could include anything from a stroke to a sneezing fit. The other news-site said the driver had been arrested some years back for an altercation at a Sumter Landing restaurant. I don't want to jump to a conclusion, but since no details of the arrest were reported, conclusions do get jumped to.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

[QUOTE=John_W;1723907]Why did you quote my post, I don't see any reason for your response to my post. I never mentioned cameras. I mentioned Shop-Rite, not Publix, and I told a story that released the merchant from any responsibility and took full responsibility for the incident in not suing. If you disagree with a poster, select that poster to quote.

Now that you mention it, cameras at Publix does sound reasonable. If you watched ID Channel, Investigation Discovery as much as I do, you wouldn't believe how many crimes are solved by cameras at Walmart. Not just on the premises, but the customer buying duct tape and a suit case at 2am.[/QUOTEi've seen those same shows, good info
Old 03-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

The Local section of today's The Villages Daily Sun has a short paragraph or two saying that Salon Jaylee opened this morning at 8:30 AM. That is the business that got the worst of the damage from this driver losing control of his car on Monday afternoon.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
How easily we forget, a few years ago two women walking on the MMP alongside 466 A, were killed by a driver who had a medical episode- its time for those who have medical problems to stop driving or at least get a vehicle with the latest technology that will automatically stop the vehicle
My trainer told me, one of his clients has a neighbor who moved here, because she is legally blind , had to surrender her DL, but drives a golf cart
And I am sure you would know if you were going to have a heart attack or a stroke before it happened. Most people who have these don't know until it happens.

Of course having a couple drinks and driving is ok but then you know you are impaired and still do it.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
And I am sure you would know if you were going to have a heart attack or a stroke before it happened. Most people who have these don't know until it happens.

Of course having a couple drinks and driving is ok but then you know you are impaired and still do it.
This is true but anyone who has a history of medical episodes, should not be behind the wheel. Example: someone who has untreated, or under-treated diabetes who has gone into diabetic shock more than twice in the last year.

Someone who has suffered clusters of mini-strokes over the past few years.

Someone who has had untreated or undertreated epileptic seizures, even the petit mal ones, for years.

Anyone who knows that they DO have these problems, and who are aware that they can't count on NOT having them when they get behind the wheel, should not get behind the wheel.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
How easily we forget, a few years ago two women walking on the MMP alongside 466 A, were killed by a driver who had a medical episode- its time for those who have medical problems to stop driving or at least get a vehicle with the latest technology that will automatically stop the vehicle
My trainer told me, one of his clients has a neighbor who moved here, because she is legally blind , had to surrender her DL, but drives a golf cart
What ever happened in that 466A case? Anyone know? I believe that driver also claim a " medical episode. " Were there lawsuits? That driver was a business man from Fruitland Park.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
"Medical episode" seems to be a term used so frequently when one of us senior citizens is involved in an accident. It could include anything from a stroke to a sneezing fit. The other news-site said the driver had been arrested some years back for an altercation at a Sumter Landing restaurant. I don't want to jump to a conclusion, but since no details of the arrest were reported, conclusions do get jumped to.
The crash was one door away from the liquor store. I don't drink. I like to act smug about it.

And it is not a joking matter. People were seriously hurt. It is a nightmare to think you could be innocently going about your business and be hit and killed. OR...hit and kill someone. I stopped driving when I learned that my heart beat...before the pacemaker was installed, could have made me black out. It has been two years and I know now I am safe, but we all need to think of others as well as ourselves.

Tags
crash, southern, trace, shopping, center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.