Crazy Driving Getting Worse

Old 01-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Veteran member

The one issue I have even though I love the traffic circles which keeps traffic flow moving. Is while you're rounding the circle there is always one driver who is aware your there and enters at the next entrance anyway and in many cases slows down after they merge. You get the feeling they want to get into an accident.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:11 AM

I was coming back from Walgreens at Lake Deaton, driving at the posted speed limit, back to the traffic circle on Morse. An elderly gentleman was coming out of the plaza turning left in front of me, looking me right in the eye (I was that close) as he pulled out in front of me. He was effectively saying, "I'm pulling out now, and it's your job to avoid me." Of course I was paying attention, driving defensively, and it all went fine. Let's be careful out there. ;-)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdasta View Post
Everyday now when I leave the house I say a little prayer for a safe trip. Yesterday, three near collisions. A car making a left turn right in front of my car on 301–this happens frequently. But this time the driver almost caused an accident—he was that close! Another was a car entering a turnaround with my car right in front of hers! She stopped just in the nick of time. Another time was again on 301–a driver weaving in and out of traffic. He almost collided with my car when cutting into my lane.
Then there was the driver of a red Toyota Rav 4 who sped right through a turnaround without even slowing down, as if the turnaround did not exist.
We moved here 3 years ago.I enjoyed driving then. What has happened?

Don’t forget now, this is a retirement community full of elderly people that you chose to move to. Driving abilities become less & less. If you don’t have issues now, you soon will too. Just saying. Drive extra cautious
Old 01-27-2024, 06:04 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Don’t forget now, this is a retirement community full of elderly people that you chose to move to. Driving abilities become less & less. If you don’t have issues now, you soon will too. Just saying. Drive extra cautious
Great post!

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 01-27-2024, 06:11 AM

“Thats all it is... if some wants to go fast, let em, no signals, you just keep and eye out. riding right on your tail..slide over.”
Life would be so much easier if the slow people on the roads and on the golf cart paths would just pull over or drive in the right lane then you wouldn’t have all of this weaving in and out.
Also, when you come to a roundabout, if nobody is coming on your left side, there is no need to slow down to go thru the roundabout. Most roundabouts you can see for a block if somebody is in the roundabout on your left. I see a lot of people almost come to a stop when entering the roundabout with no cars in sight, this is not the way to drive. You yield if somebody is in the roundabout or you drive thru it at the speed limit if no cars in sight.
I almost got hit by 2 different T&D Pool workers at 2 different roundabouts. I called the company to tell them and what the drivers looked like.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
One thing people forget about, or just don't realize, until its too late. The door post/windshield frame can hide stationary and moving objects. Small and LARGE. Be careful! Very careful, always. You may or may not see them. Do they, can they see you?
This is a great point, ours is so thick it hides a golf cart traveling for a good 75 yards.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
For me the common denominator is, there are simply no long police patrolling traffic. I drive down Morse every day and every fing day see drivers doing well over 50+, weaving in and out of traffic. Every day!!! Never have I seen a cop pulling anyone over.
No cops because they’re busy handling more important calls than a traffic complaint.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
Most roundabouts you can see for a block if somebody is in the roundabout on your left.
What does the word 'block' mean?
Old 01-27-2024, 07:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
And you can thank the developer for that, he's bought and paid for 3 incompetent Sheriffs. Law enforcement = fewer home sales.
Who might those be? Bill Farmer has been the Sheriff in Sumter County since 1997.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:14 AM
Veteran member
Default They’re Back

April things will get better
Old 01-27-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
One thing people forget about, or just don't realize, until its too late. The door post/windshield frame can hide stationary and moving objects. Small and LARGE. Be careful! Very careful, always. You may or may not see them. Do they, can they see you?
👍 I have pulled some boneheaded moves for that very reason. I now move forward to see around the post and large door mirror.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
“Thats all it is... if some wants to go fast, let em, no signals, you just keep and eye out. riding right on your tail..slide over.”
Life would be so much easier if the slow people on the roads and on the golf cart paths would just pull over or drive in the right lane then you wouldn’t have all of this weaving in and out.
Also, when you come to a roundabout, if nobody is coming on your left side, there is no need to slow down to go thru the roundabout. Most roundabouts you can see for a block if somebody is in the roundabout on your left. I see a lot of people almost come to a stop when entering the roundabout with no cars in sight, this is not the way to drive. You yield if somebody is in the roundabout or you drive thru it at the speed limit if no cars in sight.
I almost got hit by 2 different T&D Pool workers at 2 different roundabouts. I called the company to tell them what the drivers looked like.
There are literally reduced speed 20 MPH speed limit signs for the roundabouts.

So the speed limit in a roundabout is 20 MPH just like the sign says.

Cops should sit near roundabouts and ticket everyone who is going more than 20 MPH in the roundabouts.

This is the crux of the problem folks think roundabouts are some type of autobahn and speed around the roundabouts.

They also need to cut down all the high shrubbery inside the roundabouts so we can see cars more easily in the roundabouts.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Doctor’s Prescription

If you go to your physician’s office they have a fix. “Take two aspirin and call me again in May.”

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 01-27-2024, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Lots of bad drivers here in the Villages ..... but not so bad as in some other places. Just came back from Mauritius (Indian Ocean) and the people drive like crazed idiots. Narrow, twisting, turning roads that are extremely narrow and hilly. A ride in one of their taxi cabs will up your blood pressure and test your anxiety.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
There are literally reduced speed 20 MPH speed limit signs for the roundabouts.

So the speed limit in a roundabout is 20 MPH just like the sign says.

Cops should sit near roundabouts and ticket everyone who is going more than 20 MPH in the roundabouts.

This is the crux of the problem folks think roundabouts are some type of autobahn and speed around the roundabouts.

They also need to cut down all the high shrubbery inside the roundabouts so we can see cars more easily in the roundabouts.
Cops can't ticket you for doing over the speed limit unless you are doing more than 5mph over the posted limit.

Tags
car, time, driver, turnaround, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.