Credit card hacked

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoni View Post
When traveling to TV from Michigan , my husbands debit card was hacked and used for two small purchases in Fort Lauderdale. We believe the card was compromised at a Chick Fil A on our way down. We called our bank immediately after seeing the two charges. They cancelled his card, said they would refund the charges, which never happened. Get this, because the charges were made in Florida and we were in the state at our home,in TV, we had to have made them! They called us liars on several phone conversations. It took 3 weeks to get a new card, but in the meantime we opened a new account down here and moved most of our funds to that new account. So having your card hacked could only be the beginning of your problems...

That's awful. What bank did this? I'd like to avoid it.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
That's awful. What bank did this? I'd like to avoid it.
I have been with a local bank in the area I live in, Adrian, MI for over 25 years. They probably had 15-20 branches in our area and in Ann Arbor. It was United Bank and Trust. They would have never treated their customers this way. Several months ago they sold out to Old National Bank and they have gone downhill from their. Our debit card was just one of many problems and why we didn't hesitate opening an account at Bank of America down here. We don't have one in Adrian any longer, but can get to one in 30 min. if need be.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoni View Post
When traveling to TV from Michigan , my husbands debit card was hacked and used for two small purchases in Fort Lauderdale. We believe the card was compromised at a Chick Fil A on our way down. We called our bank immediately after seeing the two charges. They cancelled his card, said they would refund the charges, which never happened. Get this, because the charges were made in Florida and we were in the state at our home,in TV, we had to have made them! They called us liars on several phone conversations. It took 3 weeks to get a new card, but in the meantime we opened a new account down here and moved most of our funds to that new account. So having your card hacked could only be the beginning of your problems...
Since it was your debit card, isn't this a problem with your bank and not the cc company? I have never had that happen when my cc was fraud ex. I never use my debit card for anything other than withdrawing cash at bank atm's. You could have your bank account cleaned out, and banks are much slower to recognize and fix cases of fraud.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I'm using ApplePay at every place I can these days. I'm hoping that more and more places acquire NFC terminals so you can use ApplePay in more places.

With ApplePay, no one gets your credit card number, name or anything. All they get is the payment...

Google Wallet is very similar....

Anyone else using ApplePay?
Do you use this with your iPhone? What happens if the battery goes dead? I see people using their cell phone for boarding airlines. My phone is constantly going dead because I forget to recharge it. Guess I would have to train myself to recharge every night.

What if your phone gets stolen or lost? What's to say some smart tech type couldn't hack into the phone?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:42 PM

I try to use Google Wallet when ever I can. It is very convenient and secure. If the phone was ever lost or stolen I have the ability to lock or even wipe the phone remotely if need be and make it unusable. As well as track it and it takes a photo of the culp-rat.

You can also put a freeze notice on all three credit reporting firms that you can unlock at any time for a minimum fee. This way if anyone tryed to open an account in your name they would be blocked. You can unblock it if you know that a transaction like applying for a home or auto loan is going to take place.
I was happy to hear about the credit reporting firms giving the public this access. Not to many people are aware of it however.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Do you use this with your iPhone? What happens if the battery goes dead? I see people using their cell phone for boarding airlines. My phone is constantly going dead because I forget to recharge it. Guess I would have to train myself to recharge every night.

What if your phone gets stolen or lost? What's to say some smart tech type couldn't hack into the phone?
Yes, I use my iPhone. But, it has to be the new iPhone 6 or 6 plus.

I never let my iPhone go dead....It'll last all day and I plug it in every night, before going to bed. But, if it would go dead, I'd just pull out my credit card and pay as I normally would. Plus, be advised, there aren't that many places that take ApplePay or Google Wallet or any other electronic payment system yet. Around the Villages, it's Walgreen, Paneras, and Winn Dixie, right now. Outside the Villages, it's accepted at McDonalds, Macy's and a host of other stores.

Security....all of your information is encypted on the iPhone; not stored in iCloud or anywhere else. The authorization code to use the card is my fingerprint and only my fingerprint...no other codes for someone to steal and input. Same fingerprint unlocks my iPhone.

Given the alternatives, ApplePay is very secure and most banks are jumping on the bandwagon....

Hope this helps...
Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 AM

Credit cards and debit cards have different consumer protections. There are major differences.

Based on this knowledge, we do not have or use debit cards. If your bank gives you one (or tries to give you one) that works as an ATM and/or debit card, ask them to give you an ATM card only (with no VISA or MC logos), to be used only for ATM transactions.

Use your credit card for all other vendor transactions. You have better consumer protections using a credit card, than using cash or checks, especially for major purchases and services.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

My credit card was used in Pittsburg at a Walgreens to buy a $100 gift card. The transaction was swiped and the card was with me here in FL. WG tells me they can get your number and clone a card with the info. My bank refunded the charge. Happened in Dec. My bank contacted me wondering if it was a fraud.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
My credit card was used in Pittsburg at a Walgreens to buy a $100 gift card. The transaction was swiped and the card was with me here in FL. WG tells me they can get your number and clone a card with the info. My bank refunded the charge. Happened in Dec. My bank contacted me wondering if it was a fraud.
Did you use your debit card or credit card?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

How does Applepay work and how to I sign up for it? I do have an iPhone 6. Who do I contact?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage

I believe apple pay is preloaded on your iPone 6. If so, all you should have to do is open it and follow the instructions.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 PM

Very sad to see these comments. Our account was hacked too, by a restaurant here in TV. We use cash now.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM

It is sad to read these comments. Our credit card was hacked if you will after a visit to a TV restaurant. We use cash now, for restaurant bills and when we get gas.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
How does Applepay work and how to I sign up for it? I do have an iPhone 6. Who do I contact?
ApplePay is very easy to setup on your iPhone 6 or 6+. Here's really good video tutorial on how to setup a card.... Of course, you can setup as many cards as you wish and that have been OK'd for ApplePay.

It's possible that you card is not available to be used with ApplePay, so you might need to contact your bank. You can also go to the Apple website to get a complete listing of banks that support ApplePay, as well as retailers that accept payment via ApplePay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kNLTFAdS4A
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Platinum member

I buy a lot online (Amazon etc) How will Apple Pay work in these cases?
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.