"CYBER POWER" Battery Backup, What is the prupose?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2022, 12:02 PM
Default "CYBER POWER" Battery Backup, What is the prupose?

We recently upgraded to a new home in Fernandina.
I believe we are the third owners for this home, not sure about previous owners.
In the cabinet for the sprinkler controller there is another item - "Cyber Power".
This appears to be a battery backup for something.
In checking on Google it looks like it is to backup maybe for cable or WIFI, but not sure??
The Indicator on the unit has a red light that seems to show the battery needs replacing.
In checking the battery replacement cost it looks to be about $25. so, not that much.
My question is what does this unit actually back up, and is it really needed?
We deleted cable and now have only WIFI through Comcast/Exfinity, and stream thru Roku and U tube TV. Have not had any problems with any of those, so far.
Does anyone have any information about this "Cyber Power"?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Backup for the sprinkler controller maybe?
Old 03-02-2022, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,278 Posts

This was usually part of the internet or other cable company equipment. You should find this unit plugged into the 120 volt outlet and then some wires going to the equipment supplied by the UPS. If the equipment has been removed, then I would also remove the UPS, if the connected equipment is still in use, then you could replace the battery.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,796 Times in 5,289 Posts

I could be wrong, but it sounds like, if you get your WIFI through a modem in your house, a backup battery in the garage would not work. You would need a battery for the modem.

The old digital phone systems had a backup battery that would provide about 8 hours of phone service when the house power went out. I think they did that to compete with the analog phones that did not need house power.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:17 PM

Old Century Link battery backup....
Old 03-02-2022, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts

interesting use of words

We recently upgraded to a new home in Fernandina. upgraded house version? Did you have to reboot?
We deleted cable just deleted or a complete uninstall with the icon too?
and now have only WIFI you still have internet through the said deleted cable attached to the cable modem?

kind of reminds me of a lecture I went to 20 years ago, and at the end, the application was put up on the screen
from a piece of paper one needed to fill out with a pen, and the lecturer kept telling us to "Click in this box and print your name"
"Click in the next box and print your address"

Old 03-02-2022, 10:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

The Cyber Power box is supplying power to Centurylink Fiber to prem cable laser light comes from their head end unit this unit provides power for the laser card in their telephone interface out side network box.
Since you do not have service from Centurylink power can be unplugged.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:11 AM

Thanks "Keefelane66" your reply seems to make sense.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:01 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
The Cyber Power box is supplying power to Centurylink Fiber to prem cable laser light comes from their head end unit this unit provides power for the laser card in their telephone interface out side network box.
Since you do not have service from Centurylink power can be unplugged.
Yep, have it in mine. It was from Centurylink...
Old 03-03-2022, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Surely this gizmo has a name & some info on it, so Google it or better yet turn it on, surely it’s not there to damage anything!
Old 03-03-2022, 01:17 PM
Default WiFi

Interested in what Comcast is charging you for just WIFI and what speed. Thought about cable cutting a few months ago
and it ended up not saving money. The cost of Cable WIFI and the UTUBE was the same price as just keeping COMCAST for another year. Doesn't help that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Tried UTUBE on a trial, they make it almost impossible to stop the trial. Also if you in error, do a second trial, in less than a year, (has to be more than) they don't tell you, they just charge you, and you are stuck with a month's bill.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstebbins View Post
Interested in what Comcast is charging you for just WIFI and what speed. Thought about cable cutting a few months ago
and it ended up not saving money. The cost of Cable WIFI and the UTUBE was the same price as just keeping COMCAST for another year. Doesn't help that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Tried UTUBE on a trial, they make it almost impossible to stop the trial. Also if you in error, do a second trial, in less than a year, (has to be more than) they don't tell you, they just charge you, and you are stuck with a month's bill.
We switched to YouTube TV from Xfinity and saved about $30/month. Unlimited "recording" (really indexing): now we don't have to run home to catch David Muir.

Skip
Old 03-03-2022, 05:54 PM

Our Comcast WIFI only is at $20. / month after "deals" and direct payment, 50+ mbs speed.
Have Utube TV for about $79. / month.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstebbins View Post
I believe Mark Twain said something like we do not make any progress for as we progress we lose what was. Many most things we buy have become inexpensive but we give up personal service. My limit for being able to try to get issues resolved with computers or rather businesses where you talk to a computer. My limit is one or two.
Fairly recently it was four. In each case I got them resolved by being stubborn enough to find a HUMAN-not an easy task.

As far as free trials. We all know or should know you get nothing for nothing. As far as the ones where you need to cancel-they know, the computer tells them, what percentage cancel. Perhaps, because people get hooked on the service, it is only another $$$$$ per month and others who find it so frustrating to cancel and they say, heck with it is only $$$$$$ per month.

Endless threads here and elsewhere. I bought xyz, mail order and got a far better price than a local dealer wanted. I then went into his store and can you believe he want to charge me for his time to show me how to use it?

As far as comcast and their customer support being poor. I think all agree. They survive because they all stink.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, cyber, power, backup, checking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.