Is Dabney too isolated now and long term ?

Old 02-09-2024, 10:43 PM
Default Is Dabney too isolated now and long term ?

I will be visiting in 2 weeks and will likely purchase a Patio in either Dabney or Moultrie Creek. I can save about $30k in Dabney when considering bond. Maybe more when considering future costs of building materials if I wait even longer.

For those who purchased in the newer sections (Lake Denham, Dabney); does the drive north get old ? Are you worried that you will feel cut off as new development goes south on the other side of the turnpike ?

I've seen some people state they think another cart connection will be built (maybe CR470) in the future. Aside from Lake Denham and Dabney residents, who would that really benefit (so why would they bother building it) ? Is more development going to happen south of Dabney north/east of the turnpike ?

Last edited by MrFitness; 02-10-2024 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFitness View Post
I will be visiting in 2 weeks and will likely purchase a Patio in either Dabney or Moultrie Creek. I can save about $30k in Dabney when considering bond. Maybe more when considering future costs of building materials if I wait even longer.

For those who purchased in the newer sections (Lake Denham, Dabney); does the drive north get old ? Are you worried that you will feel cut off as new development goes south on the other side of the turnpike ?

I've seen some people state they think another cart connection will be built (maybe CR470) in the future. Aside from Lake Denham and Dabney residents, who would that really benefit (so why would they bother building it) ? Is more development going to happen south of Dabney north/east of the turnpike ?
Have you visited TV before?
If not, you would be doing yourself a favor to make a few visits and spend some time here before you take the plunge.

What will you be driving north for? If it's for golf, then you really need to consider some other areas. I'm in Poinciana, a Village that was built about 18 years ago, and is about as central to all of the current championship courses as you can get. I made the drive by golf cart down to Southern Oaks yesterday. That's about 30-35 minutes by golf cart. Lopez, in the opposite direction, is about the same. That's as long as I want to sit in a golf cart before I play golf. And I wouldn't want to have to do that every time I play golf. Most are 15-20 minutes, some are as close as 5 or 10.

The concept of TV, when they were building north of 44, and even more so north of 466A is that everything would be within a comfortable cart ride. Executive golf, Championship Golf, squares, rec centers, pools...and not just one, but multiple choices of all of the above.

That isn't possible right now, and won't be for a long time, if it ever is, with the way things are developing as TV spreads southward. So if that's what you want, you won't get it. If you want something else, it may work for you.
You really need to see it all to make a good decision.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:26 AM

Dabney is in Lake County, Moultrie is in Sumter County. Lake County has a higher interest rate on the bond and higher taxes.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,745 Times in 967 Posts

I have several friends who have moved to that area of TV. The don't complain about the distance to anything. You mentioned the drive north and wonder if it gets old. I live south of 44. I rarely drive north any further than 466A, and not very often to there. So no, it does not get old.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I have several friends who have moved to that area of TV. The don't complain about the distance to anything. You mentioned the drive north and wonder if it gets old. I live south of 44. I rarely drive north any further than 466A, and not very often to there. So no, it does not get old.
are you a golfer?
Old 02-10-2024, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

I’m in Lake Denham. Highway noise is loud depending on weather. Sawgrass Grove is only 10 minutes by cart. Brownwood will be about 35 minutes by cart from Dabney (30 for me). Eastport is only 20 minutes by cart over the Bexley bridge. If they do a cart path and 470 it will be shorter. There is also land right across 470 from Dabney that is owned by the Villages and will likely be commercial space according to. Wingnut video. I think it was video 133 but he also updated that video and I don’t recall it mentioned in the update.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:39 AM

Thanks. Yes, I did a lifestyle visit in 2022 near Brownwod and loved everything about it. And golf is part of my reason, but I will embrace many activities. I don't think a 20 minute cart ride will bother me, but 30+ may. On the flip, I routinely drive 40+ minutes to play golf up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Have you visited TV before?
If not, you would be doing yourself a favor to make a few visits and spend some time here before you take the plunge.

What will you be driving north for? If it's for golf, then you really need to consider some other areas. I'm in Poinciana, a Village that was built about 18 years ago, and is about as central to all of the current championship courses as you can get. I made the drive by golf cart down to Southern Oaks yesterday. That's about 30-35 minutes by golf cart. Lopez, in the opposite direction, is about the same. That's as long as I want to sit in a golf cart before I play golf. And I wouldn't want to have to do that every time I play golf. Most are 15-20 minutes, some are as close as 5 or 10.

The concept of TV, when they were building north of 44, and even more so north of 466A is that everything would be within a comfortable cart ride. Executive golf, Championship Golf, squares, rec centers, pools...and not just one, but multiple choices of all of the above.

That isn't possible right now, and won't be for a long time, if it ever is, with the way things are developing as TV spreads southward. So if that's what you want, you won't get it. If you want something else, it may work for you.
You really need to see it all to make a good decision.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRSO View Post
Dabney is in Lake County, Moultrie is in Sumter County. Lake County has a higher interest rate on the bond and higher taxes.
True, but the bond in Dabney is $7k less than Moultrie. Not sure what the tax diff is but will find out during my visit.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:43 AM

Thanks. That is good to hear.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
are you a golfer?
Yes
Old 02-10-2024, 08:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Yes
If you are a golfer and seldom go north of 466A there are a lot of courses you don't play, including 7 of the championship courses (8 if you count Orange Blossom which is a great layout IMO, but we don't get there much, too remote even for us north of 466A). Which is fine if that's fine with you.

I'm suggesting that anyone who plans on golf in TV being central to their lifestyle here spend some time figuring out if that's going to work for them.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I did a lifestyle visit in 2022 near Brownwod and loved everything about it. And golf is part of my reason, but I will embrace many activities. I don't think a 20 minute cart ride will bother me, but 30+ may. On the flip, I routinely drive 40+ minutes to play golf up here.
But is that why you are moving to TV, so you can drive 40 minutes to play golf? If you are OK with that, fine.
With the current layout, that's what you will often face if you settle down in the newest, most southerly villages.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
But is that why you are moving to TV, so you can drive 40 minutes to play golf? If you are OK with that, fine.
With the current layout, that's what you will often face if you settle down in the newest, most southerly villages.
Thanks for your responses. And no, playing golf 40 minutes away is not why I'm moving to TV. I won't bore you with all of the reasons, but I would play golf a couple times a week if I lived here. I probably would play the courses near me most often.

My bigger concern is that new amenities will be built south as the years go by. From Dabney, by cart, that is a 15 minute trek north added to every trip. I can mitigate that by spending more and purchasing in Moultrie Creek or waiting for future villages. But I think every village I wait on will come with an incremental price increase and decrease time here.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
My question would be: do you want a brand new house? If you were willing to consider a pre-owned house, you could possibly get a patio villa in an established neighborhood where you would know where all of the amenities, shopping, entertainment, Dr's offices, etc. already exist, in some cases for close to the same price as new houses. Some houses have the bond paid off or the bond is small compared to new houses. Some houses have made enhancements you might like, & some might have landscaping you might like. Some have had upgrades done recently like new roofs or new HVAC. However, if you want new, then the newly being developed areas are your choice, but none of us will be able to predict the future.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,352 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your responses. And no, playing golf 40 minutes away is not why I'm moving to TV. I won't bore you with all of the reasons, but I would play golf a couple times a week if I lived here. I probably would play the courses near me most often.

My bigger concern is that new amenities will be built south as the years go by. From Dabney, by cart, that is a 15 minute trek north added to every trip. I can mitigate that by spending more and purchasing in Moultrie Creek or waiting for future villages. But I think every village I wait on will come with an incremental price increase and decrease time here.
If you are in the southern end of Dabney, by golf cart, it is about 20 minutes to Sawgrass and about 40 minutes to Brownwood. Eastport should be about 30-35 minutes.

If you visit, be sure to take a golf cart ride from Dabney and do a few test drives - Eastport, Sawgrass, Brownwood, etc. and find out what you think of it. And then ask yourself if you want to do this every time you play golf or visit a town square or entertainment square (Sawgrass). Doing it once is ok - doing it every time gets old.

However, it will take several years for Eastport to be developed. As of now, there is no commercial space open in Eastport. The good news is that they plan on building a lot of courses in Eastport - at least four executive and possibly six. I have a map showing Beautyberry, Bellaire, Honeysuckle, and Laurel Oak and I think I saw another map showing a couple more that are "planned." I think one of the executives may open this year.

If I were moving here and had a choice of Dabney and Eastport, if I could afford it, I would move to the Eastport area instead of Dabney. You will be close to a town square and lots of golf and recreation. I can't see Dabney ever being close to anything - except easy access to the Turnpike.

There are new homes in Eastport under $300,000. I would think that they would have a much better chance of appreciating in value based on location. Houses bought near Lake Sumter have really gone up in price.

This is a map of the Villages. The Villages recently bought some land on the NE side of the Turnpike just south of 470 and Dabney . If they put a golf course and commercial space in this area, it would be great. Unfortunately, they never tell us their plans which makes it difficult to know if you are buying in a good area.

The Villages(R) Community Map - Explore & Find Your Way Around

Tags
south, dabney, turnpike, save, development

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.