Is Dabney too isolated now and long term ?

Old 02-11-2024, 07:40 AM

Head north. Need food shopping, dept. stores, home stores, gas stations, hospitals, medical facilities, golf courses, etc.?
Then head north.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,729 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
Head north. Need food shopping, dept. stores, home stores, gas stations, hospitals, medical facilities, golf courses, etc.?
Then head north.
OP has stated that they want new construction. So where would that be in the north??
Old 02-11-2024, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
Then head north.
or east, to Leesburg.

I don't live in those parts, but from what I can tell, golf is the only "amenity" the OP would need to drive north for.

Am I mistaken?
Old 02-11-2024, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

I don't think this has been mentioned, but if pickleball is your game, and you are looking for "younger" (less than 60-65?) competition, you'll find more of that as you head south. Also, if you are interested in leagues, like the developing DUPR "Vision for Division" league, those venues are primarily at Homestead and Franklin, so far. I suspect that is because the newer facilities aren't teaming with leagues and private groups yet, and that's where the availability is for time slots.

As an "old timer" (70) I played a couple of seasons and we kept getting moved farther south, and the competition keeps getting younger, quicker, and better. I know a few really good players who relocated southward specifically to be closer to the better, younger competition.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:27 AM
Location: Baton Rouge Louisiana now the Village of Chitty Chatty
Default Almost new

We bought a one year old house in Chitty chatty. Couldn’t tell
It wasn’t new and all the rock bed rock front and back was done along with a courtyard villa
Having 3 car garage and block fence extending across the entire rear . I would look at almost new homes too . May not work but rock work alone I have heard can be 20k
Just give certain newish areas you like a chance before discounting them
Maybe . Just a thought !
Old 02-11-2024, 08:27 AM
Default Village of Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFitness View Post
I will be visiting in 2 weeks and will likely purchase a Patio in either Dabney or Moultrie Creek. I can save about $30k in Dabney when considering bond. Maybe more when considering future costs of building materials if I wait even longer.

For those who purchased in the newer sections (Lake Denham, Dabney); does the drive north get old ? Are you worried that you will feel cut off as new development goes south on the other side of the turnpike ?

I've seen some people state they think another cart connection will be built (maybe CR470) in the future. Aside from Lake Denham and Dabney residents, who would that really benefit (so why would they bother building it) ? Is more development going to happen south of Dabney north/east of the turnpike ?

Take a look at my patio villa. I plan to sell it and I am flexible on timing. Village of Richmond, 5min cart ride to Brownwood Paddock Square. Great Location.

Rent From A Villager | Rental Homes in The Villages Florida | Advertise Your Village Rental
Old 02-11-2024, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
OP has stated that they want new construction. So where would that be in the north??
Northernmost Section.Some homes built between 2016-2019. New first responders rec center. Close to many golf courses, shopping, restaurants, and hospitals.They are building new courtyard villas where the demolished country club stood. Another great area to live in if you choose the North. Areas between the 66's are relatively new and offer tremendous golf opportunities as well as commercial. EVERY HOME in the North is not 20 plus years old.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 02-11-2024 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I don't think this has been mentioned, but if pickleball is your game, and you are looking for "younger" (less than 60-65?) competition, you'll find more of that as you head south. Also, if you are interested in leagues, like the developing DUPR "Vision for Division" league, those venues are primarily at Homestead and Franklin, so far. I suspect that is because the newer facilities aren't teaming with leagues and private groups yet, and that's where the availability is for time slots.

As an "old timer" (70) I played a couple of seasons and we kept getting moved farther south, and the competition keeps getting younger, quicker, and better. I know a few really good players who relocated southward specifically to be closer to the better, younger competition.
Pickleball is a big part of my planned activities. I'm 59, a decent level, but I play for fun and to meet people. I prefer the "show up and play when you want" over league play. I'm sure I'll be able to find what I want down there. I had no problem during my visit.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:50 AM
Default Lots of driving

Quote:
Thanks. That is good to hear.
I’ve lived everywhere in the Villages and I think Fenney is too far from everything. I’ve been driving 300 miles a week. I am moving to Duval, closer to shopping, friends, pools, multiple golf courses. I can’t wait!!
Old 02-11-2024, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpoet View Post
I’ve lived everywhere in the Villages and I think Fenney is too far from everything. I’ve been driving 300 miles a week. I am moving to Duval, closer to shopping, friends, pools, multiple golf courses. I can’t wait!!
I second that! We lived in Fenney, then Hawkins. Couldn't wait to return to the north near Lopez. I got tired of spending most of my day driving! Now, everything I need is minutes away.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:11 AM
Default That depends on what you want and where you’re going.

Quote:
I will be visiting in 2 weeks and will likely purchase a Patio in either Dabney or Moultrie Creek. I can save about $30k in Dabney when considering bond. Maybe more when considering future costs of building materials if I wait even longer.

For those who purchased in the newer sections (Lake Denham, Dabney); does the drive north get old ? Are you worried that you will feel cut off as new development goes south on the other side of the turnpike ?

I've seen some people state they think another cart connection will be built (maybe CR470) in the future. Aside from Lake Denham and Dabney residents, who would that really benefit (so why would they bother building it) ? Is more development going to happen south of Dabney north/east of the turnpike ?
The Turnpike entrance and points south are closer. Publix and Winn-Dixie are 3 miles away on route 27. There’s also a number of restaurants, Ace Hardware, Walgreens and other businesses at the corner of US 27 and route 38.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:14 AM

You should consider the new area of Richmond just south of Brownwood that is being developed. Supposed to have courtyard villas. That is the PERFECT location. They will sell very FAST.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:57 AM

Anyone would be crazy to buy way down there with lack of amenities, shopping and restaurants. Look at preowned north of 44. Better location, value and a lot less bond.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:01 AM

Moultrie Creek is right across from the high school stadium - lights, noise, traffic. It is not very close to other established age restricted villages. If you have grandkids in Middleton you would be very close and that would be good. I do not know what other villages are opening up except in the Richmond area.
As for new construction - you cannot customize very much, but you may be able to pick a good lot. Many of the materials they used on our custom home in 2021 were below builder grade and installed by barely skilled labor. You do not know how your house will turn out. I have seen new construction spec houses that turned out much better. Good luck!
There actually exists homes that are several years old that have truly never been lived in or even some that say they have never been lived in even though they were rented out a bit.
Whatever you get, make sure you hire an excellent home inspector or maybe even two. If purchasing new, have one within first six days of closing. Have another at 10 or 11 months.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,202 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I have several friends who have moved to that area of TV. The don't complain about the distance to anything. You mentioned the drive north and wonder if it gets old. I live south of 44. I rarely drive north any further than 466A, and not very often to there. So no, it does not get old.
Do you go shopping or patronize restaurants on the 441/27 corridor? That is a haul from south of 44. I would not want to be that far from that corridor of retail and restaurants. But......that is just me.

Tags
south, dabney, turnpike, save, development

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.