Dark painted homes

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2022, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Not in China. And that could affect America in many ways.
Wrong thread...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-08-2022, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,211 Times in 1,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
No, it appears you are not a designer of any sort. Seventy years later, the color to which you refer is still very much a popular color, much to your chagrin, I'm sure.

The color you erroneously refer to is probably Mizner pink
which is prolific, mostly in Palm Beach County. It is hardly Pepto Bismol pink and in reality, is a soft shrimp-type color. That color is used in excellent taste as indicated by some very classy properties, i.e. The Boca Raton Hotel and Resort, Mar-a- Lago, Mizner Park, and many others including many local residences. The use of that color in southeast Florida is an indication of historic preservation, of which you probably aren't aware.

Today's trend in house colors is towards deeper, more intense colors, and not the boring white and beige colors. Browns, rusts, deeper blues, and greens are popular. So, get used to these types of colors. Like it or not, you will be seeing more of it.
No, it is Pepto Bismol pink I'm referring to. I lived in South Florida for 24 years beginning in the mid 70s and Pepto Bismol Pink was a popular color. This is the color I'm referring to.........

Family, Parenting, Pet and Lifestyle Tips That Bring Us Closer Together | LittleThings.com
Old 03-08-2022, 12:26 PM

I wonder how much heat gain the dark color homes have? Maybe your color choice will cost you another $200 a year in AC cost?
Old 03-08-2022, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Dark colors also emit heat better. It's why engines are painted black, at least among those engines that are painted. Old cars used to have a lot of different color engines, they also used to overheat a lot. At some point in the early 80s the big three finally got a handle on engine overheating and one of those methods that helped was painting the engines black.
Interesting. Thanks for the information but I don't know if that holds true for a home painted in a very dark color.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase219 View Post
People Need To Mind There Own Business
This would be an appropriate comment if someone was planning on making an official complaint about an individual's selection of a home paint color. If there is no intention of making a report, why can't this subject be discussed on this forum? This forum is filled with lots and lots of opinions about all sorts of different subjects.

As I said in my OP, I have noticed a few dark painted homes in my area with the first two homes a couple of years ago. The colors range from Navy blue to super dark brown and dark green. When I spotted the home painted with what appears to be so dark it looks black, off of Odell Circle, I decided to post about it. I didn't think The Villages would allow such a color. Just wanting some feedback from folks about this to see if others feel as I do.

Minding my own business does not apply here.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
The story goes that President Eisenhower enjoyed riding in all types of aircraft. However, the helicopters in use at that time were not air conditioned and flew at low altitudes were temperature is higher especially in the summer.

An effort was made to try to reduce the temperatures in the cabin. One mechanic suggested painting the top of the helicopter white to reflect the sun. After several tests, it really didn’t help but the President stated that he felt a little bit cooler when riding in the White Top.

So, to this day every Presidential helicopter has a white top. This is a true story!
Another interesting tid bit. I just love this forum. I learn something every day.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
No, it is Pepto Bismol pink I'm referring to. I lived in South Florida for 24 years beginning in the mid 70s and Pepto Bismol Pink was a popular color. This is the color I'm referring to.........

Family, Parenting, Pet and Lifestyle Tips That Bring Us Closer Together | LittleThings.com
You're saying that was "popular"in the 70's???

I seem to remember some other things that were popular in the 70's that caused hallucinations...

"I see colors..."

Google "Pink Florida Homes"... You'll see the vast majority are the softer "Shell Pink" that Leo Fender made popular...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 03-08-2022, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
Yet another one that thinks houses in florida are painted always in pastels.... Smh....
I've lived in Florida a good many years; 24 in south Florida and another 6 years full time in The Villages. I've never seen any dark paint colored home until that last couple of years here in The Villages. I guess times are a changin' but I surely don't have to like it.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:46 PM

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." That is to say, the perception of beauty is subjective - what one person finds beautiful another may not. The origin of the phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" first appeared in the 3rd century BC in Greek.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,175 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Ok, so someone (several actually) mentioned how much money you waste in energy with dark homes. So what? Is it their money? Is it hurting them?
Someone said that a dark home makes their eyes bleed? Seriously? Come on, it's none of anyone else's business the color of your home. Maybe I don't like red cars. So what, it's none of my business what color car....or home you live in.
If it is not against any "rules" here in the villages, then you can cry your eyes out about how you don't like the color and it won't matter a lick.
Someone else said that there are more important things to worry about today. KUDOS, you are absolutely right and these petty folks that worry about the color of your home, probably worry about the color of your roses also, or what you dietary menu might be.
I personally like dark colored homes and like to see what kind of trim color they might choose. So many different combinations.

The Villages, old folks elephant graveyard. Where old folks go to wait out and complain about others until their demise.

I'd rather leave this life happy and care free than grumpy, angry, depressed and nasty. The Villages is supposed to the the place where folks live the life that they worked so hard all their life, dream of. When I die, I plan to have a smile on my face.
A friend's dying request, face down, so everyone can kiss his "you know what"
Old 03-08-2022, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Yeah, let’s dwell on first world problems since there is nothing else to focus on right now.
Just be glad that those dark houses are not dark because of radiation fallout soot.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
I lived in New York and New Jersey so I am used to dark colored homes. They look beautiful in the north where there are plenty of other homes that are in the same color palate. I always loved the dark blue grey homes with white shutters. That to me is lovely in the north. Here in The Villages? Not so much.
People tend to bring their likes and taste with them from "up north". Old habits die slowly. And the higher air conditioning bill for dark houses and roofs may eventually convenience people that they are NO LONGER up north. If people are complaining about this wait until gas prices go up and the professional lawn mowing people begin passing the cost of their gas-guzzling noise machines onto Villagers. And the price of everything in the stores goes up! And if or when we have an area-wide loss of electricity due to offshore hackers. There may be a lot to complain about in the near future.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:34 PM
Sage

People tend to bring their likes and taste with them from "up north". Old habits die slowly. And the higher air conditioning bill for dark houses and roofs may eventually convenience people that they are NO LONGER up north. If people are complaining about this wait until gas prices go up and the professional lawn mowing people begin passing the cost of their gas-guzzling noise machines onto Villagers. And the price of everything in the stores goes up! And if or when we have an area-wide loss of electricity due to offshore hackers. There may be a lot to complain about in the near future.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
I stopped into The Villages office in Lake Sumter Landing about two years ago when I first saw a very dark colored painted home. I looked at the color choices that are allowed by The Villages. I know they are allowed. I just don't understand why anyone would want such a dark colored home in Florida when homes here have been pastel colored for decades.

Thank goodness the Pepto Bismol pink is not allowed here. That was a very popular color in Florida in the 50s. So glad we have moved on from that.

I do not profess to be a designer of any sort. I'm just voicing my opinion of what I find to be an objectionable color for homes here in The Villages. We are in the south where light colors are the dominant color for homes. Now, back up north is a whole other story.
The colors that are popular and fashionable may not be in the future. Pink was considered a "way-cool" color in the 1950s - for clothes, pink Cadillacs, and other items. It could return that way in 20 years and maybe MOST homes in Florida will be pink then.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
this is what we are worried about .....house color?????
We are reduced to this because real important subjects are frowned upon.
Closed Thread

Tags
dark, painted, homes, villages, colors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.