Death of Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2021, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Total BS - site your source besides hearsay.

“Site” is a noun meaning “location”: Raleigh is the site of the new mine.“Cite” is a verb meaning “to mention” or “to make reference to”: She cited the Journal of Atmospheric Sciences in her paper.

Miss(ed) Grammar
Old 08-04-2021, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

The older one gets the more opportunity to realize that nothing ever stays the same. Take a few minutes to grieve the loss then move on. No sense wasting time sulking.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I never had the pleasure (?) of going to Katie Belles, but from what I read, I doubt I would have gone, even if it was still open.

From the descriptions I read (good and bad), it was not something that would appeal TO ME...

Tastes change. What was once popular, goes out of style. As the older residents "move on", they're replaced by younger retirees, who have different wants and needs...

What was popular 20 years ago, may not be popular today and what is popular today, may not be popular in another 20 years...

Except for the Beatles... They will NEVER stop being popular!
You never went there and you still have an opinion about its appeal to most. Huumm.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-04-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
“Site” is a noun meaning “location”: Raleigh is the site of the new mine.“Cite” is a verb meaning “to mention” or “to make reference to”: She cited the Journal of Atmospheric Sciences in her paper.

Miss(ed) Grammar
Careful, you could spend all day here correcting spelling and grammar...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,665 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
I'm waiting for people just like the writer to step up and spend a hundred thousand on a lease to reopen Katie Bell's but I'm sure I won't see it. Let's face it the owner of the property can do pretty much what they want and I do not fear having people living over buildings. I grew up in Brooklyn my wife had a store in Jersey City and that's typical you have apartments two or three or four stories over stores on the bottom even in New York City it's done the same way. The residents go downstairs and shop locally and that's a great thing because that's less traffic that way and that's how most planners of cities want it. After all I don't expect to see a Subway around here soon ( a train not the restaurants)
Great response. As long as complaining is free, that will the preferred action of most.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:18 AM

Katie Belle's lost its appeal when they moved upstairs. The food was very mediocre and the staff not always so inviting. It tried to be a high end restaurant but failed. The music was good but their attempts to do 2 seatings, then charging for seats to eat dinner drove people away. Sitting people with strangers not a highlight. No place for singles to gather and enjoy the music and dancing a miserable failure. So the end result - bye bye.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
You never went there and you still have an opinion about its appeal to most. Huumm.
I never said "what appeals to most"... I said "ME"...

I also said "what was popular 20 years ago MAY not be popular today"...

So yeah, I have MY opinion...

Oh, and it's spelled Hmmm...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 08:31 AM

My business plan is simple and worked in hundreds of communities. We cove the square to achieve year round climate control for shopping and events. We bring in Sears and Pennys as anchors. People will come in droves. We should have had Katie’s declared an historic site so it could never be changed.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

There were actually two Katie Belles. Old and new. The old KB had the restaurant on the
second floor and entertainment/dancing on the first floor. After 20 plus years the old KB needed a facelift, however, Instead of a facelift a decision was made for a complete renovation. In the transition, Katie Belles lost a great deal of its “natural” saloon ambiance of the 1800’s. Another major change was it went from a “resident/guest” operation to a total public operation. Village residents and their guests were made to feel special when entering old Katie Belles. 12-15 years ago I remember lines clear out to the street for residents and their guests. The Developer doesn’t make many mistakes but perhaps one was made in the changes made to Katie Belles. These are my observations without having any access to financial records of Katie Belles bottom line. But for sure, old Katie Belles was a big draw for Spanish Springs.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Does anyone think their opinion so important that they expect people to read such a long post!
I got the gist of it.
Businesses will come and go.
Apartments will use less parking spaces than katie bells did.
People will buy where they want to be, their choice.
Good idea for second story space, where no business wants to be.
Cannot imagine why they were turned down.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Default A few thoughts...

I know this establishment is missed by those who loved it. I know the apartments are a sore spot for the Lady Lake residents. I have followed the story and read all the articles, but I have a few thoughts on this that might be controversial.

1) From where I stand, McGrady's Pub is the direct REPLACEMENT for Katie-Belle's. Have you been following the news on that establishment? A "Beer Club" where you purchase a "membership". Doesn't the "membership" aspect of that concept sound a lot like the early days of Katie-Belle's?

2) Downtown apartments seem to always be shunned by residents and fought hard, and they almost always get built anyway. Once they are built, they are quickly occupied and truly revitalize a downtown business district. I watched it happen in my hometown and many neighboring towns. No maintenance living spaces are desired by many.

3) Spanish Springs is in fact a ghost town that needs to be revitalized. If this concept doesn't end up working, it will die soon.

4) The "desires" of the newest residents match those "whims" of the Morse Grandchildren. Guess who turned 55, boomers? Generation X! We are buying homes, moving in and do have different tastes then our parents (and grandparents) do. Things are a changin', and I'm not sure it's a bad thing!

Last edited by Lisanp@aol.com; 08-04-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
If apartments are allowed in SS it will be one more nail in the coffin for that square. Nobody is going to want to rent an apartment and have loud music playing every night outside there windows. They will all complain and more than likely the music in the square will be gone just like Katie Bells and everything else that has closed.
I'm confused. NOBODY will want to rent an apartment, or THEY ALL will complain about music?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I never said "what appeals to most"... I said "ME"...

I also said "what was popular 20 years ago MAY not be popular today"...

So yeah, I have MY opinion...

Oh, and it's spelled Hmmm...
I bet you're real fun at a party.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Total BS - site your source besides hearsay.
He’s a big promoter of the villages owners should be paid by them. The residents here pay for everything and even pay for the maintenance for the business owners. It’s getting too expensive for older residents. Thad just a fact.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
was Katie-Belle's a village property? i was under the belief it was a commercial business, independently owned. maybe i'm wrong, idk
You are correct. A private business that did not make money. Hence, it was closed.

Tags
residents, springs, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.