Deed Restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Are retail businesses in the squares also bound by any sort of deed restrictions such as non-business related signs in their windows?
Doubt it but read their deed restrictions if there are any. Remember, all commercial property in the squares is owned by the developer
Old 09-23-2020, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

The hypocrisy is unbelievable. People getting called out for a minor deed restriction, yet internal deed restrictions like running an AIRBNB out of a single family home are ignored. Worse yet, residents are required to adhere to strict deed restrictions, but the developer can get zoning approval to dump an apartment complex in a residential neighborhood. Where will it end?
Old 09-23-2020, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The hypocrisy is unbelievable. People getting called out for a minor deed restriction, yet internal deed restrictions like running an AIRBNB out of a single family home are ignored. Worse yet, residents are required to adhere to strict deed restrictions, but the developer can get zoning approval to dump an apartment complex in a residential neighborhood. Where will it end?
All you need to do is buy a commissioner or two or three and you can pretty much do as you wish.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:22 AM
Default So much for tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Read your deed restrictions, in most areas you are limited to one 12x12 For Sale sign in a front window, nothing else. If you have anything else, you are in violation of the restrictions. This is not a freedom of speach issue, you agreed to giving up this freedom when you purchased your home and agreed to the deed restrictions. Ignorance of what you agreed to is not a defense for these violations.
It’s amazing that so many “tolerant” people are so concerned with what others do in their home/property. I think it’s sad that people waste their time being so overly concerned about signs, yard decor, and other menial nonsense, their lives must be very boring for this to be a priority.

As a veteran I am pretty disappointed in how people today act and their desire to impose THEIR will on others. If it doesn’t directly effect you just keep it moving. You should take a good hard look in the mirror, I’m sure that everyone that wants to play “police” is in fact doing something that offends someone else.

Just do the best you can to live your life with integrity and honor and stop trying to change everyone else. If your good example doesn’t change someone’s actions Athen your reporting them is t going to matter.

Enjoy life and live.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM

And what about flying a flag of a political candidate on a flagpole in your yard?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:40 AM
Default Lawyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Who is the lawyer representing?
Why is the name of the client relevant?
Old 09-24-2020, 06:12 AM

Owning how divisive the current political climate, I wondering why “neighbors” would display political signs anyway?
I’d like to keep it out of our neighborhood and enjoy each other’s company
Old 09-24-2020, 06:16 AM

It is not the restrictions, it is HOW IT IS ADMINISTERED THAT GETS EVERYONE UPSET!!
Old 09-24-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
And what about flying a flag of a political candidate on a flagpole in your yard?
Flying a political flag on a flag pole has been upheld as being legal.

Look around, and you'll see a number of political signs, both for Biden and Trump, posted in yards. Those are in violation of deed restrictions in most, and possibly all, CDDs. For me, I'd like to see them removed. With the exception of a very small number of people, signs do not change peoples' minds whether on a golf cart, automobile or lawn.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very interesting.

and just like everyone else around here we did not read the deed restrictions.
Either did I
Where can I find them?
Old 09-24-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer3232 View Post
Has anyone else received a letter from a lawyer that a political sign is a window is a violation of the deed restrictions and if you have what have you done about it.
It’s interesting that the villages will enforce minor transgressions like “sign restrictions” but trample our rights by creating new rules for apartments
Old 09-24-2020, 06:56 AM

Ignore it
Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Read your deed restrictions, in most areas you are limited to one 12x12 For Sale sign in a front window, nothing else. If you have anything else, you are in violation of the restrictions. This is not a freedom of speach issue, you agreed to giving up this freedom when you purchased your home and agreed to the deed restrictions. Ignorance of what you agreed to is not a defense for these violations.
Sorry but you didn't give up freedom of speech, Federal and state law preempts anything you signed.
Believe what you want I will not debate this, many of the deed restrictions violate state and federal law and are not enforceable except by intimidation!
Old 09-24-2020, 07:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleser View Post
Owning how divisive the current political climate, I wondering why “neighbors” would display political signs anyway?
I’d like to keep it out of our neighborhood and enjoy each other’s company
Agree. A sign isnt going to change my vote and I doubt any neighbors really care who you vote for. In todays climate its just antagonistic so dont complain if someone steals it or destroys it. Regardless if its in violation or not, Its tacky looking. No one cares about your political, religious views etc so why do you feel the need to shout it to the world.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter View Post
Either did I
Where can I find them?
Go to districtgov.org and click on "How do I?".
Closed Thread

Tags
deed, restrictions, received, letter, violation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.