Deed restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2022, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,765 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
my neighbors were ok with it when I repaired their car and got them going again, even with welding the broken part back together. (exhaust broke) saved them 1200$
My money is on: After you are gone, you will continue to make negative comments about our community on this forum. Just like so many others. They just can't stay away.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
My money is on: After you are gone, you will continue to make negative comments about our community on this forum. Just like so many others. They just can't stay away.
I have no negative comments about tv. It’s the people who believe they are perfect I have an issue with
Old 08-03-2022, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,034 Times in 4,182 Posts

Quote:
so on the advise of all you great people of tv, I did go over all my closing paperwork and did not find any deed restriction paperwork until I got to the paperwork from the sumpter sales office when i received my id cards, well after the closing. No real estate agent, title company employee, attorney or any one else told us about the scope of the restrictions.. i don't mind restrictions to keep the place looking good, in fact I insist on them.. It's the ridiculous restrictions that I have an issue with.. my 26 year old lawyer grand daughter has to go to the family pool because she is not 30. I'm not going to go over all the ones i have an issue with, but that one is glaring.
OK, I'll bite:
WHY is the adult pool restriction of 30 "glaring"????

This is primarily a 55+ community, so what restriction would you place???? I suspect your cutoff age is 26, and next year it would be 27, etc.

You've never seen 20-30 year olds horsing around at a pool, yelling, running, jumping in dangerously close to some 90 year old who is just standing there? There are plenty of family pools she can go to, and if you open your wallet a bit, country club pools as well. I think you would find the overwhelming majority of Villagers support the age restriction.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:56 AM

This is why this place is awful. The “people “ are really out for themselves and do not have an understanding of what is fair. Too old to change
Old 08-03-2022, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,674 Times in 3,169 Posts

Quote:
This is why this place is awful. The “people “ are really out for themselves and do not have an understanding of what is fair. Too old to change
"what is fair" is that people who choose to move into a planned community learn what the rules are before closing. They don't wait to be presented with the information. They ASK. In advance.

I spent a year asking, and didn't understand the answers. I didn't get why anyone would care about pink flamingos. I also didn't understand why, once it was explained about pink flamingos, why the rules were only enforced if residents tattled on each other.

In fact, I -still- don't get that. I hate that part of the system. The only way you can get someone to comply with the rules is if you or a neighbor turn against the other neighbor and submit a complaint officially. That doesn't make for friendly neighbors. It pits them against each other and absolves the ARC and Deed Compliance folks from responsibility.

That said, I knew what this place was about when I moved in. That was our choice - to learn the rules, and then decide which rules we could live with and which ones were deal-breakers.

It was another reason why we live in the area we do. We still have restrictions, but they are not as strict as the rest of the community. We do have some really -nice- flamingo statues and other lawn decorations on the neighbors' lawns - one next to us is amazingly realistic and awesome to see. I like that we're allowed to express our creative side here, that we don't look like Stepford, and no one can accuse anyone on our side of being with the Borg. We still have to keep our lawns mowed, we still have to get permission to widen our driveways, and so on and so forth.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
"what is fair" is that people who choose to move into a planned community learn what the rules are before closing. They don't wait to be presented with the information. They ASK. In advance.

I spent a year asking, and didn't understand the answers. I didn't get why anyone would care about pink flamingos. I also didn't understand why, once it was explained about pink flamingos, why the rules were only enforced if residents tattled on each other.

In fact, I -still- don't get that. I hate that part of the system. The only way you can get someone to comply with the rules is if you or a neighbor turn against the other neighbor and submit a complaint officially. That doesn't make for friendly neighbors. It pits them against each other and absolves the ARC and Deed Compliance folks from responsibility.

That said, I knew what this place was about when I moved in. That was our choice - to learn the rules, and then decide which rules we could live with and which ones were deal-breakers.

It was another reason why we live in the area we do. We still have restrictions, but they are not as strict as the rest of the community. We do have some really -nice- flamingo statues and other lawn decorations on the neighbors' lawns - one next to us is amazingly realistic and awesome to see. I like that we're allowed to express our creative side here, that we don't look like Stepford, and no one can accuse anyone on our side of being with the Borg. We still have to keep our lawns mowed, we still have to get permission to widen our driveways, and so on and so forth.
You tell 'em!

Resistance is futile
Old 08-03-2022, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,674 Times in 3,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You tell 'em!

Resistance is futile
We resisted. If we hadn't we'd be in a courtyard villa somewhere near/at the O'Dell Circle.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We resisted. If we hadn't we'd be in a courtyard villa somewhere near/at the O'Dell Circle.
Not your brand of resistance, that of the OP
Old 08-03-2022, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,280 Times in 5,448 Posts

Quote:
So be happy you are not a part of this awful community. Wow still wondering why you care to post so much?
Old 08-03-2022, 09:27 AM
Default Deed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikehike View Post
Some people that move to The Villages really struggle with the deed restrictions. I don't think people realize the compromises necessary to live in a deed restricted community even though they are told upfront about the restrictions. I think they believe the restrictions will not be enforced. It seems like people that came from a deed restricted community have certain expectations that differ from people that came from a single family non-restricted community, and they disagree on the value and benefits of deed restrictions. The best example I can give is a person who moves into a patio Villa and has outgrown it in 6 months and they begin to modify the patio Villa to their needs. One example would be putting rocks in the front yard to be able to park three cars at the location. They rely on peer pressure to look the other way and not speak up or object to their interpretation of the rules. I think that's why a lot of opinions may vary and I'm interested to hear what people think?

People move here for different reasons some people want the lifestyle the activities some people want a nice place to live. I guess it depends on what your priorities are in that regard and what's more important to you.

This is just a general discussion I'm not looking for help or information about deed restrictions.
I’m sure your agent drove you around looking at houses and if you didn’t notice how things look around here and you didn’t say what are the rules for living here you must not have been paying attention. Also some people have selected listening.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,719 Times in 980 Posts

Quote:
I have no negative comments about tv. It’s the people who believe they are perfect I have an issue with
Are you still planning on leaving once your one year "sentence" (a term you used to describe the IRS treatment of the sale of your home) is up? If so, have you decided where you will find joy and happiness next?
Old 08-03-2022, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Are you still planning on leaving once your one year "sentence" (a term you used to describe the IRS treatment of the sale of your home) is up? If so, have you decided where you will find joy and happiness next?
I think you misspelled SPREAD
Old 08-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, I'll bite:
WHY is the adult pool restriction of 30 "glaring"????

This is primarily a 55+ community, so what restriction would you place???? I suspect your cutoff age is 26, and next year it would be 27, etc.

You've never seen 20-30 year olds horsing around at a pool, yelling, running, jumping in dangerously close to some 90 year old who is just standing there? There are plenty of family pools she can go to, and if you open your wallet a bit, country club pools as well. I think you would find the overwhelming majority of Villagers support the age restriction.
Are you advocating a change in the restriction to be safe from 30 year olds who might be horsing around?

I grudgingly accept that this is a rule but I haven't yet heard a good reason for it. I am a bit over 30 but I could still jump into the pool dangerously close to some 90 year old who is just standing there. I have also been with 20-somethings that are much more respectful than the 70 year olds who are allowed in the neighborhood pools.

If the rule is to prevent certain activities then write the rule that way. As it is, that particular rule seems to be intended to prevent envy and jealousy: We can't let those young people in here, they make us look bad and our spouses won't stop staring at them!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-03-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Oh yea. House is up for sale now. I close on the new one the end of the month. That one is in North Carolina.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Are you advocating a change in the restriction to be safe from 30 year olds who might be horsing around?

I grudgingly accept that this is a rule but I haven't yet heard a good reason for it. I am a bit over 30 but I could still jump into the pool dangerously close to some 90 year old who is just standing there. I have also been with 20-somethings that are much more respectful than the 70 year olds who are allowed in the neighborhood pools.

If the rule is to prevent certain activities then write the rule that way. As it is, that particular rule seems to be intended to prevent envy and jealousy: We can't let those young people in here, they make us look bad and our spouses won't stop staring at them!
I understand that any age can get unruly but 30 really. Make it 21. Dam you can vote at 18 but need to be in the kiddie pool at tv. They let these exercise people in the adult pool jumping up and down, why don’t they need to be in the sports pool. I thought that’s what they were for. I’m just that some of the rules are truly ridiculous. But the place is beautiful. Expect for the unkempt palms. That’s a whole different topic.
Closed Thread

Tags
deed, people, restrictions, community, patio

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.