Developer IRS issues.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
NotGolfer NotGolfer is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 3,379
Thanks: 1,137
Thanked 389 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
GREAT POST !!!

You are correct and not doing anything but telling the truth. I have been here for about 14 years and tired of hearing all the "snarky" comments about the developer.

He does not "shake down" business here in The Villages. About 15 years ago, he was spending his own money to entice and was actually begging busness to come to The Villages.

He does not have "secrets" to spring on you and believe it or not, has no knowledge of where a sinkhole might spring up (does anyone).

He is not under investigation, as folks on here keep alluding to. You are correct that the CDD use is what is being looked which by the way was first used by Walt Disney just down the road.


Reading the misinformation on here and the constant complaining is very unsettling.

When you move ANYWHERE, not just here, do you not do your own due diligence ?

And someone recently said that things are not done for the benefit of the residents. Gee.......we sure see things differently. Sometimes folks get spoiled and should just find that perfect place...oh wait..thats the point....some will complain about anything with NO facts in order to be happy I suppose.

Again....GREAT POST
I don't know how to include multiple posts so....Gracie and Bonnie what you both said is great as well. Snarky posts upset me as well, AS do the harsh attitudes I've encountered while "out and about" in T.V. Just saying... Why do folks move to then stay in a place that they don't seem to like?
  #17  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,172
Thanks: 156
Thanked 1,433 Times in 484 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
News Flash.....

This just in.......


Rumor has it the developer is an "R"......

Stay tuned......
You are for sure onto much of this !!! Folks who label and then, not matter the truth, hate the label !!!
  #18  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Chinook Chinook is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 65
Thanks: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are telling me not to be snarky?

Oh and Chinook is not a new poster, I checked. I read every one of her posts. She has been posting since 2010 and she is a nice person and doing what she should be doing..asking questions and gaining information. The post I posted was for the benefit for anyone new or anyone who thinks that they can slither in here and start trouble. Sorry Chinook, if I hurt your feelers. I really am. You were asking honestly and kindly.

The article you linked. Mickey109 is fair and accurate and points out the politics of the developer and also points out which party his business contributes to.
I appreciate the information, my father in law lives in the villages but he is not always the best source of info! He can also be negative and slanted towards the developer and that is not my intent. I live a long way away and want to be aware of what is going on as I have read about this issue and don't fully understand it myself.
  #19  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Chinook Chinook is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 65
Thanks: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I've read that chapter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Chapter 8 of the book Leisureville, Government, Inc., is fairly informative about how The Villages is operated. It took me a few reads of the chapter to understand the CDD structure and from that what the IRS's position could be, but I think I finally absorbed it.
Thanks manaboutown, I too have read that chapter and I still don't understand it. I have not lived anywhere with a CDD structure. It as well as the bonds are new to me. The villages is totally great and I love the place.
  #20  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Cedwards38's Avatar
Cedwards38 Cedwards38 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Village of Sanibel
Posts: 1,788
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
News Flash.....

This just in.......


Rumor has it the developer is an "R"......

Stay tuned......
Realist, Recluse, Raconteur, Runner, Rocker? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
__________________
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
― Mahatma Gandhi
  #21  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,797
Thanks: 3,616
Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,239 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Admin is gonna come on here and smack us all silly.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #22  
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Chapter 8 of the book Leisureville, Government, Inc., is fairly informative about how The Villages is operated. It took me a few reads of the chapter to understand the CDD structure and from that what the IRS's position could be, but I think I finally absorbed it.
I might have mentioned this before..but telling TV "true believers" to look something up and accept the information offered in "Leisureville" as truth is akin to telling Christians that the Koran is an acceptable alternative to The Bible.
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #23  
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Realist, Recluse, Raconteur, Runner, Rocker? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
Raccoon? Roustabout? Rambler? Rumrunner? Road Roller?
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #24  
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 5,249
Thanks: 4,448
Thanked 1,721 Times in 618 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I might have mentioned this before..but telling TV "true believers" to look something up and accept the information offered in "Leisureville" as truth is akin to telling Christians that the Koran is an acceptable alternative to The Bible.
Or perhaps the other way around. We all realize Blechman had an agenda which is certainly not mine since I side strongly with the politics of the developer and plan on moving to a 55 and over active adult community. Nonetheless, Andrew did his homework and dug up and presented in his rather entertaining book some very important information, information I would certainly want as a potential future villager. I am the sort of person who whenever possible makes informed decisions. Others may not agree with them but I am the one who must live with them. Just for starters this particular chapter I found to concisely sum up the CDD structure possibly unique to TV, that the central districts which contain no residents are controlled by the developer AND they control the CDDs which contain residents. That is very important to know and understand, at least to me.
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
  #25  
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't disagree with what you say and I think Gary Morse is a genius. I'm not saying you shouldn't refer to it. However, I have noticed that "Leisureville" in the hearts and minds of a certain group in TV and among those who comment here on TOTV find Leisureville to be practically satanic. You don't make a lot of friends here by quoting it or agreeing with anything that Blechman postulates and you WILL hear about it if you do.

If you push away from Blechman's obvious bias, he DOES bring up some very interesting points. However, it is NOT a popular book to refer to here.
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #26  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,797
Thanks: 3,616
Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,239 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I don't disagree with what you say and I think Gary Morse is a genius. I'm not saying you shouldn't refer to it. However, I have noticed that "Leisureville" in the hearts and minds of a certain group in TV and among those who comment here on TOTV find Leisureville to be practically satanic. You don't make a lot of friends here by quoting it or agreeing with anything that Blechman postulates and you WILL hear about it if you do.

If you push away from Blechman's obvious bias, he DOES bring up some very interesting points. However, it is NOT a popular book to refer to here.
I think most people who read the book agree that the book was slanted to SELL it. There is a LOT of factual information and a lot of interesting "tales" about Mr. Midnight and the wild sex here. Not saying it isn't happening but it was a little too..um...canned.

I THINK what some people object to is the premise that an older person should stay "put" and enrich their surroundings rather than grabbing some "selfish" happiness for themselves.

No one I knows HATED it...they felt it was an attempt to earn a little money for Mr. Blechman...which it did.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #27  
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 877
Thanks: 49
Thanked 439 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieandCharlie View Post
We attended a CDD meeting recently (we are new home owners in The Villages, but not new to Florida). It was very informative and very helpful in understanding how our government structure works here. So far it seems like a very effective form of governing. Apparently CDD's have been used here in Florida since the 1800's.

As far as the IRS incident, the recent IRS findings were very good for us. Their auditors found our community assets are worth way more than the CDD's paid for them and have been a good deal for all involved (CDD, developer, and residents).

Just putting in my two cents.
Your last paragraph relies on a misleading headline and article that appeared in the Developer's Daily Sun. See the latest POA Bulletin on the subject (refer to page 2 for the facts): http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201304.pdf. Hopefully, the Daily Sun's version of events will eventually be true, but it is not yet.
  #28  
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,797
Thanks: 3,616
Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,239 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Your last paragraph relies on a misleading headline and article that appeared in the Developer's Daily Sun. See the latest POA Bulletin on the subject (refer to page 2 for the facts): http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201304.pdf. Hopefully, the Daily Sun's version of events will eventually be true, but it is not yet.
Are you the lawyer that won the lawsuit against the developer?

I have read all of your posts. Most are on THIS subject.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #29  
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
gemorc's Avatar
gemorc gemorc is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are you the lawyer that won the lawsuit against the developer?
The POA Bulleton listed the 3 points of contention between the IRS and the TV CCDs. The IRS states the value of the property transfered from the Developer to the CCD meets thi requirements of the IRS, thus answering the question of Point 2. Both Points 1&3, still need to be settled. Please read the POA Bulletin to become informed about the lingering problems between the IRS and the TV CCDs.
__________________
Hit em long and straight
  #30  
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 877
Thanks: 49
Thanked 439 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are you the lawyer that won the lawsuit against the developer?

I have read all of your posts. Most are on THIS subject.
No to your first question. I had no connection whatsoever with that lawsuit. Also, I hope that the Center Districts (and therefore the Developer) prevail in the IRS investigation, or if they don't prevail, I hope that the matter is resolved in a way that does not negatively impact the Villagers. By the way, to turn your question to me around: Was your maiden name Morse or was it Schwartz? (Just kidding.)

Furthermore, let me say, once again, that I think that The Villages is a great place to live and that the Developer has done an amazing job in planning, building, and maintaining The Villages. Of course, how the Developer has financed all this is what the IRS is questioning.

You are correct as to the vast majority of my posts being on the subject of the IRS investigation. This is because: I only like to post on subjects that I know something about, rather than posting on every subject that comes up in the forum. The IRS investigation is a subject that I do I think I understand pretty well. It is also one that is important to all Villagers, and one that I believe has been poorly reported (to put it mildly) by the Daily Sun and the VHA Bulletin.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.