Directv Problem Today Sunday 10/18/20

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 02:54 PM
Platinum member
Default Directv Problem Today Sunday 10/18/20

Directv has been cutting in & out seeking satellite settings & once completed comes back on for 2 min & starts over. Anyone else?
Old 10-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Is the message "SEARCHING FOR SATELLITE SIGNAL - 771" ? Run a transponder and satellite signal strength test. It's been a while so I am not sure where it is these days. Is your dish ground mounted? If so could it have been bumped? Sometimes (rarely) clouds LOADED with rain (even if it is not raining) can cause that but check transponder signals first. Should be in a menu somewhere. (I was a DTV tech support trainer in another lifetime).
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 10-18-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Try rebooting the system
Old 10-18-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

If the issue is a low xponder signal (searching for sat signal 771 msg) rebooting generally won't help for more than a minute or two. However, that was the first thing we taught all the reps in their C.S. scripts to do. Whether it helps or not check your sigs because they might be too low. Should all be in high 90's if dish is properly aimed except for 2 local spotbeams + a few zeroes of inactive xponders. If most are in the 60-80 range EVEN IF IT IS WORKING call DTV for a re-aim but make sure you clearly tell them you "randomly get SFS 771" which should be code 771 IIRC. Should be at least 3 separate sats to check signal on (as of 2012 at least! ).
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:30 PM
Gold member

Call DirecTv. It only took 4 calls and 1 1/2 hours before the AT&T rep could get me successfully transferred to a DirecTv rep. Then from the DirecTv rep to the NFL Sunday Ticket (which I did not auto renew this year) rep to get a refund for the 2 months of NFL Ticket I was erroneously billed for. Been with DTv for 14+ years but since being absorbed by AT&T their customer service has been at best frustrating. Thinking of Dish Network????
Old 10-19-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Funny I called 800 direct tv number and always get an direct employee, it took me 5 minutes to call , pay for NFL ticket and be on my way , outside of that and pulling the plug out about once every 10 days , I’ve had no contact with direct for years FYI for those of you that use closed captions if you are having a slow down of CC just pull the plug wait about 15 seconds then plug in , it will come back to speed
Old 10-20-2020, 04:47 AM

Didn't have that issue in the Bonita,Duval, Hemingway areas.. FYI. Love Direct TV.. Picture great.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

We’ve had DirecTV for years. One of the reasons has been their superb customer service. Except for normal “high volume call times”, we’ve always been able to speak to a knowledgeable Tech Support rep in a matter of minutes. Most importantly, it’s a rep whose first language is English!

But another poster made a terrific suggestion which often solves your problems — pull out the plug for a minute or so every few weeks to force a system re-boot. That’s the first thing a phone rep will tell you to do, and often corrects your problems. (You can also re-boot by pressing the small hard-to-find re-set button on your DirecTV receiver — but pulling the plug is easier.)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:18 AM

If you have to reboot the satellite receiver box periodically, then you should buy a timer, and plug the satellite receiver into the timer. Program the timer to power cycle the satellite receiver box for a minute at 3 AM once a week or some other interval. Then you no longer have to manually reboot the satellite receiver box.

I have a power switch box that monitors my internet connection. When the cable Internet connection is down, the power switching box automatically power cycled the cable Internet modem box. I’ve looked at the switch log file, and usually about 2 to 3 times a month, the cable Internet modem box gets power cycled. Usually, the cable Internet modem box is power cycled over night while I’m sleeping or away from the house. Once and awhile the power cycling occurs while I’m actively using the Internet. I tried using a timer on the cable Internet modem box to proactively power cycle the cable Internet, but that didn’t solve the problems. You have to reboot the cable Internet modem after the outage occurs. The Internet sensing power switch costs about $100 and eliminates the hassles of having to manually power cycle my cable Internet modem. I bought that Internet power sensing switch in preparation for being a snowbird, so that I wouldn’t have to have an in-law have to drive to my house, just to power cycle the cable Internet modem box. The Internet power sensing switches are sold at the on-line 5G Store. That Internet sensing power switch eliminates another hassle in your life, and improves the quality of life.

I also use motion sensing light switches in my bathrooms and timers on the bathroom fans to eliminate those hassles too.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:36 AM

I also have Direct TV, but have had no issues.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Thanks but after reading all thst

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If you have to reboot the satellite receiver box periodically, then you should buy a timer, and plug the satellite receiver into the timer. Program the timer to power cycle the satellite receiver box for a minute at 3 AM once a week or some other interval. Then you no longer have to manually reboot the satellite receiver box.

I have a power switch box that monitors my internet connection. When the cable Internet connection is down, the power switching box automatically power cycled the cable Internet modem box. I’ve looked at the switch log file, and usually about 2 to 3 times a month, the cable Internet modem box gets power cycled. Usually, the cable Internet modem box is power cycled over night while I’m sleeping or away from the house. Once and awhile the power cycling occurs while I’m actively using the Internet. I tried using a timer on the cable Internet modem box to proactively power cycle the cable Internet, but that didn’t solve the problems. You have to reboot the cable Internet modem after the outage occurs. The Internet sensing power switch costs about $100 and eliminates the hassles of having to manually power cycle my cable Internet modem. I bought that Internet power sensing switch in preparation for being a snowbird, so that I wouldn’t have to have an in-law have to drive to my house, just to power cycle the cable Internet modem box. The Internet power sensing switches are sold at the on-line 5G Store. That Internet sensing power switch eliminates another hassle in your life, and improves the quality of life.

I also use motion sensing light switches in my bathrooms and timers on the bathroom fans to eliminate those hassles too.
I’ll just keep using the low tech approach of pulling out he plug and no it’s not something I have to do every 2 weeks I just do it
Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 AM

I have had DirecTV for over 20 years since AT&T bought them they have been terrible. I cancelled and going to go to dish
Old 10-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Stream
Old 10-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Platinum member
Default Therapy fee

Dont pull plugs. Get rated power strip,,. Much easier
Old 10-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post
Directv has been cutting in & out seeking satellite settings & once completed comes back on for 2 min & starts over. Anyone else?
It's Tuesday is the problem fixed yet?
Closed Thread

Tags
directv, starts, min, back, completed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.