Do we really need Gate Cards?

Old 04-10-2024, 07:38 AM

I've read all the comments in this thread about the purpose of having gates and whether or not this is a gated community. Please check out post #51 where I explain that this was at one time a "gated community".
Old 04-10-2024, 07:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,154 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
I've read all the comments in this thread about the purpose of having gates and whether or not this is a gated community. Please check out post #51 where I explain that this was at one time a "gated community".
The Developer took the thin grey line and expanded it to the heavens.

The time line went something like this:

“Let’s use cards instead of paying gate workers.”
“Let’s have the county maintain the roads”.
“If taxpayers pay for maintenance, then any taxpayer can use the road.”

The micro of one development of houses has evolved through fruition as the macro of more than 130,000 homes and hundreds of miles of roads.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-10-2024, 07:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
It probably was...at one time. It was also a trailer park at one time as well. It isn't anymore...it isn't sold as such and the CDD site makes that pretty clear to those that are in doubt
Old 04-10-2024, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,370 Times in 4,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
What about the entrances that do not have golf cart crossings anywhere nearby? The entrance to DeLuna off of 301 for example? Or the entrance from Pinellas Plaza?
They are there to slow people down, who are coming off 301 or 466A...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-10-2024, 08:43 AM
Default Tag photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Several years ago it was decided that every gate, manned or unmanned would have cameras for the license plate capture that goes back to Community Watch, and I have not seen a departure from this plan as I drive the community.
Hadn't known of the cameras. Any idea whether any of those photos have proven to be of value in specific cases to date?

Still haven't been here for a full year, yet, so still learning my way around. Was certainly initially intimidated by the "visitor" lane gates. Was reminded recently when exploring a couple of neighborhoods whilst out and about in the wifey's car that it'd be easier to "push the button" *if* I approached closely enough - as she stows her "card" in a less than efficient location - that it says "push for assistance" and seems to have a speaker/microphone sort of setup. No idea whether any of them actually have such a function or anybody to which to speak, even at the manned gates. Such gadgetry induces major social anxiety on this poor boy, but I've now learned to ignore the offer and just press the dern button and watch the gate arm rise - and even suspect that no such technology is even actually attached.

My presumption had come to be that the "manned" gates were for the specific purpose of managing the potential backups that could otherwise occur for golf carts if the "guest" arms were not under some sort of manual "timing" control. Not the case? Would also have presumed that such would've been a major point in the training of the "manners".
Old 04-10-2024, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Every aspect regarding the gates are a waste of money to the tune of well over a million dollars a year.
The gates were not created to permit a safe thoroughfare for golf carts.
That's what the Morse family would like you to believe.
They were created as part of the mental "eye candy" for buyers and it has worked!
Uh, huh...

And you know this how?

-Tom Petty
Old 04-10-2024, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I am confused - do we need the cards or not.
You did not need a card at the Citrus Grove gate on Meggison Road near Sawgrass, the gate opened automatically - BUT the neighbors complained that traffic went too fast, the gates didn’t control traffic, so they are re activating the requirement for a card or button push.

So let’s disable the cards, so we can get more TOTV posts about how fast cars are going through the intersections with golf carts.
Whenever a village is under construction, the gates are in the "auto-open" mode. This allows trucks to come and go easier.

If you're in a big truck, you can't reach the red button. I've seen maintenance trucks use a long stick to press the button.

Once construction is complete, they typically turn on the gate access feature, where you have to use a card or press the button...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-10-2024, 09:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,154 Times in 577 Posts
Default Construction mode is off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Whenever a village is under construction, the gates are in the "auto-open" mode. This allows trucks to come and go easier.

If you're in a big truck, you can't reach the red button. I've seen maintenance trucks use a long stick to press the button.

Once construction is complete, they typically turn on the gate access feature, where you have to use a card or press the button...
The gate wasn’t in construction mode this morning.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-10-2024, 09:43 AM

Ever try working at the gate? It's not easy especially when drivers get inpatient when they come through the Visitor entry and don't like having to stop. The cameras do work and have been a valuable tool. Please be kind to your gate attendant!
Old 04-10-2024, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,430 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
How about yesterday?
Old 04-10-2024, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Hadn't known of the cameras. Any idea whether any of those photos have proven to be of value in specific cases to date?
Drive through a gate, knock it over and see if the camera helps - it is used to send you a repair bill. So yes, they help
Old 04-10-2024, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

I know, my point is the neighbors down that corridor want the gates taken out of construction mode for safety - they are no advocating the elimination of gates, like this post.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
That gate is in “construction mode” which makes it open automatically by passing in front of a sensor. it was card activated, but the builder fought to have it placed back in “construction mode” till he was done. It’s been that way on and off for a little over 2 years.

We enjoyed the gate when it was card activated and cars slowed down. There was a promise it would return to card after they were done. It’s a very dangerous place for carts. It probably is time to turn that gate back into card activated.
The point is the neighbors, who lived without the need for cards and pushing a button, WANT the gate out of construction mode.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Makes sense since they're finished building there, right?

-Tom Petty
Old 04-10-2024, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I know, my point is the neighbors down that corridor want the gates taken out of construction mode for safety - they are no advocating the elimination of gates, like this post.
Where did I advocate for the removal of the gate???

-Tom Petty

Tags
cards, gate, gates, waste, entrance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.