Does TV have Too many deed restrictions.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,893 Times in 3,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
The deed restrictions were one of the reasons I chose to buy in TV.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,214 Times in 471 Posts

I have no problems with deed restrictions in TV. You sign a deed and follow the rules, which seems to be a problem for certain people. I bought here because they do have them, a minor inconvenience , at best. The deed restriction changes from district to district are probably based on experience. I have no admiration for junk sitting in peoples yards and propose that enforcement is lacking.
You play golf, rules.
You vote, rules.
You drive, rules.
You are married, rules.
If you do not like rules, go live in a desert somewhere.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I LOVE seeing all the quirky stuff on some people's lawns. .
So glad we don't have quirky stuffed lawns.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,218 Times in 769 Posts

Deed restrictions are good, they keep the place from looking like a circus. Can't believe the junk people put on their lawns.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:20 AM

Few restrictions are enforced and few are followed. What difference does any of it make?
Old 05-14-2024, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Yes, I believe that the deed restrictions are generally way too restrictive. That said, I don't have any problem in my neighborhood because we have more leeway than other, newer areas. I enjoy how some personalize their properties and I don't have any problem with those that I think are gaudy because that is their preference and none of my business. I don't want to live in a cookie cutter neighborhood, like military base housing. In my opinion, there are way too many former apartment dwellers from up North that feel their need to get into everyone else's business and seem to have a need to make everyone else as miserable as themselves. But, those types will never be satisfied, no matter what their neighborhood looks like. They just want to exert some form of authority over others, even if it is just little gripes such as stickers on a mailbox, cars parked in driveways instead of in garages and little white crosses that are hardly noticeable in a neighbor's yard. You would think that those folks would spend what little time they have left, getting right with their maker instead sticking their noses in what other folks are doing.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

OK, here is a "thought". Show me a person who asks if there are too many deed restrictions and I'll show you a person who does not want to follow deed restrictions.

I actually think that there should be more.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:38 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte1 View Post
yes, i believe that the deed restrictions are generally way too restrictive. That said, i don't have any problem in my neighborhood because we have more leeway than other, newer areas. I enjoy how some personalize their properties and i don't have any problem with those that i think are gaudy because that is their preference and none of my business. I don't want to live in a cookie cutter neighborhood, like military base housing. In my opinion, there are way too many former apartment dwellers from up north that feel their need to get into everyone else's business and seem to have a need to make everyone else as miserable as themselves. But, those types will never be satisfied, no matter what their neighborhood looks like. They just want to exert some form of authority over others, even if it is just little gripes such as stickers on a mailbox, cars parked in driveways instead of in garages and little white crosses that are hardly noticeable in a neighbor's yard. You would think that those folks would spend what little time they have left, getting right with their maker instead sticking their noses in what other folks are doing.
lol
Old 05-14-2024, 07:39 AM
Default Deed restrictions? Maybe down South

If “personalization” mean putting up stuff hanging from your house, or junk spread around your yard, it seems the developer allows plenty of that in our section of the Villages. Those of us in the deed restricted “forgotten zone” can attest that we have to tolerate the lack of enforcement.

The ARC does do a good job of controlling new work but there’s a lot that needs to be done keep so many older homes compliant.

But in reality the juxtaposition of old and new, junk yard and sterile is what creates the unique community known as the historic section. It is an architectural and urban planning study that needs to be taught in all urban planning schools.

My dad always said to learn from other people’s mistakes!

TV supporter of Deed Restriction ENFORCEMENT
Old 05-14-2024, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
OK, here is a "thought". Show me a person who asks if there are too many deed restrictions and I'll show you a person who does not want to follow deed restrictions.

I actually think that there should be more.
Maybe try thinking more efficiently. Here's my "thought":

I live in one of the less-restricted areas of The Villages, because I think there are way too many restrictions in the rest of The Villages. I follow the deed restrictions we do have, and I have no trouble following them, and have no issue with them at all. Most people who live on my side of The Villages are content with our deed restrictions. But that's because they're not as restrictive as the rest of The Villages. We want to follow the ones we have, and so we do.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
Few restrictions are enforced and few are followed. What difference does any of it make?
OR

Many are followed, few are violated.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Deed restrictions are necessary so TV doesn't turn into a flop house but in your opinion do they take it a little TOO far and TOO restrictive.

Sometimes I feel like I'm renting opposed to being a homeowner in TV with not being able to put any small personal touches to my home.

I realize if I don't like it I can move or I should've not moved here if I didn't like the restrictions so I will save those opinions from a couple of key strokes.

I do talk to a lot of folks in nearby retirement communities and when I ask them why they didn't buy in TV they all have the same answer, "too many deed restrictions"

Thoughts?
No.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Generally, the deed restrictions are a hodge podge of restrictions that have evolved over the years and thus vary somewhat in different areas. To me they seem to be a bureaucrat's delight with prompt and strict enforcement of the petty items and delayed, partial, or ignoring of the more serious and significant problems. Usually there is quick action or dire results for a little white cross, or for using last year's color chart to paint your home, a bird bath without flowing water, or for some violation created 15 years and 2 previous owners ago, etc. On the other hand, anything that may need possible legal action, or a real effort to enforce is partially addressed, delayed or seemingly ignored until it hopefully goes away on its own. And, it seems fines, assessments and reimbursement of costs on many major problems are eventually greatly reduced or forgiven. Abandoned properties, junker cars, extended stay of minor children, very short-term rentals, disruptive businesses operated out of a residential home all come to mind as violations that should be as sternly and quickly enforced as the "little white cross problem" seemingly is.

On the other hand, there are many examples of gaps in tasteful restrictions. It seems that in many areas you can cover your driveway with any material and whatever color you want and with whatever picture or design you desire, including a BIG white cross (if you so wanted), or fly obnoxious flags, or post obscene signs in your windows, or have whatever characters or words displayed and hanging from your lamp posts.

I am happy to reside in an area with few minor restrictions. The few garden ornaments displayed by the neighbors seem to be a tasteful reflection of the personalities and interests. And best of all we aren't tattling at each other for petty "violations".

A bit of irony concerning some of the restrictions applicable to residential areas apparently do not apply to the town squares, where it becomes part of the "ambiance" and "cultural esthetics" of the area. Broken down inoperable trucks, rusty gas pumps and other equipment, "faded" and "bleached" signs and murals, statues and sculptures, all come to mind. But heck, I like it the way they did it.
Fantastic well thought out post.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:28 AM

I like having the amount of deed restrictions.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Deed restrictions are necessary so TV doesn't turn into a flop house but in your opinion do they take it a little TOO far and TOO restrictive.

Sometimes I feel like I'm renting opposed to being a homeowner in TV with not being able to put any small personal touches to my home.

I realize if I don't like it I can move or I should've not moved here if I didn't like the restrictions so I will save those opinions from a couple of key strokes.

I do talk to a lot of folks in nearby retirement communities and when I ask them why they didn't buy in TV they all have the same answer, "too many deed restrictions"

Thoughts?
And, so happy that those type of people don’t buy here. Bad fit, like a ballerina trying to be a football player.

Tags
restrictions, deed, save, moved, opinions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.