Dog Poop Solution

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2024, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I believe it is the dog urine that can kill grass. Is Dog Pee Killing Grass in Your Yard? Here’s How to Fix It - Bob Vila

My pooch pees a little here, and a little there, and then somewhere else. Usually where other dogs have gone. And sometimes if a dog is nearby they will have a ****ing contest as to which dog is the last to pee in that one spot.
Scent marking.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Aside from considering this post to be some sort of joke, The Villages could not implement such a thing, as they have no control over such things ... like people walking their dogs on public streets or hanging out at Town Squares.

The ONLY thing The Villages control, are Deed Restrictions and Covenants. CDD's control the use of amenities and utilities. The state and the various towns/counties control everything else and are in charge of dog poop.
Might want to review your deed restrictions. District 14 has the following (look for the dog poop clause.....excrement.....):
2.23 Domestic pets shall be permitted, provided they do not create a nuisance to others. Each Owner shall be personally responsible for any damage caused to dedicated or reserved areas by any such pet and shall be responsible to immediately remove and dispose of any excrement of such pet and shall be responsible to keep such pet on a leash. Notwithstanding the foregoing, no other animals, livestock, poultry, or swine of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any Homesite or on dedicated or reserved areas.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am saying that we can’t control wild animals, but we, owners, are responsible for our pets. Your argument is similar to: if the wind blows trash on the lawns, then it’s okay to throw your trash on the lawns. Isn’t all trash offensive?

(To me it sounds like some are looking for an excuse to allow their pets on other people’s lawns. People spend thousands of dollars annually to keep up their lawn, and they don’t do it so others can use it as their dog’s litter box.)
100% on the money.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
This is a joke, right? Extracting DNA from fecal material requires a specialized type of testing, and it certainly ain't cheap. Probably somewhere in the $500 neighborhood.

Then...say you take a sample and get it tested. Who pays for that? Once you get results (maybe, maybe not), what do you compare it to? Submitting your dog's DNA would be on a voluntary basis, and if a dog/owner were "serial poopers," I doubt they would ever submit a sample for the database. And who is to enforce this farcical idea? Neither the Developer nor the Districts are going to get involved in this. So where does that leave you?

I have a better idea...take up golf; or pickleball; or water volleyball; or anything. Someone has WAY too much time on their hands to be looking this hard for something to complain about. Bob Marley said it all..."Don't worry, be happy."
"Don't worry. Be happy" was Bobby McFerrin, not Bob Marley.
The problem is the attitude of one group. Some dog owners, who have the mistaken idea that having a dog allows them to trespass against their neighbors. Rude, crude and arrogant and just plain disrespectful of others property. (How utterly "Karen")
Old 01-31-2024, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaE View Post
My IQ has dropped 10pts reading this post.
only 10? I thought it dropped everyone at least 50.....
Old 01-31-2024, 06:40 AM

Lazy dirty dog owners make me sick

I would never ever not pick up after my dog

But your solution will never work. The dirty would never participate QUOTE=TVTVTV;2296170]One of the biggest issues Villagers have to contend with is folks not willing to pick up their dog feces. Whether it's ruining the esthetics or harming the environment, laziness of owner's responsibilities should not be permitted.

The Villages could easily implement the dog DNA program, like many apartment, condo, and other housing areas have done. Dog owners and renters would submit a dog saliva swab for each dog, and be registered in the company's database, and culprit samples are sent and analyzed. The owner would then be identified and fined. Repeat offenders would have an additional consequence. It's not rocket science.

There are several companies making MILLIONS because of this, and Villagers deserve this issue to be addressed. To cover initial costs, dog owners would pay a small fee at the time of swabbbing. This approach would likely be welcomed by the majority of Villagers. Those who might be opposed- well guess why?

Dog feces left all over is becoming an increasing problem. I hope the people and TV administrators begin to push for this type of program. Perhaps it could be voted on by residents by District, and start small and see how effective it is. Of course there are issues to work out, but what a good resolution. Google DNA Dog Poop companies- you will find success stories and how they operate in some communities. Check out this for starters.

Dog Poop DNA Testing: The Scoop On The Latest Trend To Apprehend Offending Owners[/QUOTE]
Old 01-31-2024, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,669 Times in 976 Posts

How does this get enforced. This could work at a condo complex, but The Villages is 7 miles with 150,000 residents.

Sheriff can’t enforce it, unless it was codified by the county.
Community Watch? Are they going to drive around checking houses or check dog DNA?
Does every dog walker get stopped? Villages could put a rule in place, but it’s a rule, not a law - you can’t stop every dog walker and ask for your DNA paper - there’s a thing called probably cause.

Oh yes, I gave my dog’s DNA, my proof is back at the house, 3 miles away, want to follow me there?
Old 01-31-2024, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julijac View Post
Instead of DNA testing, why doesn’t TV install dog poop station’s throughout the villages that has bags and receptacles, so if someone doesn’t have a bag on them for whatever reason they can get a bag and dispose of it easily. The receptacles can be emptied by maintenance when they are mowing. I’ve lived in apartment complexes that offered that, and it was quite nice, and there were less “issues.”
Sure, and maybe you can suggest that EVERY resident in the Villages provide a supply of poop bags for anyone walking a dog by their home that wishes to use your lawn as a toilet. After all, why should the dog owner be responsible, right? Kind of like blaming society for criminal behavior and paying the criminal to not commit a crime in their neighborhood.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,527 Posts

Picking up after your dog is NOT the issue. It is allowing the dog to use our lawn as a toilet. Sure, my neighbors pick up after their dog, but they don't/can't pick up urine. Those who say urine does not ruin grass are liars. My lawn is one of the greenest lawns in the neighborhood, except one BIG yellow spot that every dog stops and urinates next to my driveway. Neighbors have gotten the message that I don't want dog poop on my lawn, so they think I can't see them on the short strip of property next to the driveway. Normally, a dog urine does not yellow the grass, but when dog after dog uses the same spot over and over again, the urine kills the grass.
I mow my own lawn. I know there are some that don't pick up after their pet and some that can't see to get all of the poop up when they attempt to pick up after their animal. I get it, but I also don't appreciate stepping on the leftover and tracking it into the house. It is NOT unreasonable to have pride in one's property and it is not unreasonable for someone to respect other folk's property. I have owned and trained many dogs and I have never, ever allowed one to defecate on someone else's property. A dog can be taught very easily to go in one area. Some folks (many folks) should not own pets if they are not willing to learn how to care for them properly. Makes one wonder how they ever managed to raise their children if they cannot control their pets.
Rant? Yes, because some folks are too stupid to understand and/or respect other folks property. And keep your animals out of shopping carts. They do not belong there. Leave them at home. Surely, you can live a few minutes or an hour away from your pets.
You don't like my rant? I don't give a "poop." ...
Old 01-31-2024, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

As a responsible dog owner I am in favor of your proposal. I am tired of picking up other dogs’ poop. Remember that it’s not the fault of the dog, it’s the fault of the owner.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:59 AM
Default no help

My security camera picks up over 100 dog walkers per day entering the field off Ventura drive so my dead end street is almost always packed with golf carts and cars from day light to sun down, Getting in and out of our driveways is always a problem, This started over 4 years ago when the villages closed up the entrance to the field by the rio grand pool where there is a parking lot. And yes I get dog waste in. my yard.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:31 AM
Default Turn in for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORBILL66 View Post
Start fining the owners, beginning with $50.00 fines and increasing with each occasion. People can take videos of the owners and turn them in.
There is no law in the State of Florida that states that a dog cannot walk on or “go” on the easement of properties. No one should feel fear or guilt when walking their dogs. A responsible owner picks up after their dogs. Poop does not destroy grass, nor will urine if just done once in one spot. When streets are too hot to walk on, the dog has to walk on the grass. Our realtor told us TV is dog friendly, and I truly believe it is—except for a few people.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdasta View Post
There is no law in the State of Florida that states that a dog cannot walk on or “go” on the easement of properties. No one should feel fear or guilt when walking their dogs. A responsible owner picks up after their dogs. Poop does not destroy grass, nor will urine if just done once in one spot. When streets are too hot to walk on, the dog has to walk on the grass. Our realtor told us TV is dog friendly, and I truly believe it is—except for a few people.
Your realtor was lying. If they meant you can let your dog onto other people’s lawn. Most TV is not friendly towards owners who let their dogs on people’s property. Easement areas included, they are not for you or your dog, they are only for workers. You, on the other hand, can designate your lawn, if you wish, as the local litter box for neighbor’s dogs.

Last edited by Velvet; 01-31-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
We know where this will be going. I predict 125 posts.
Getting close.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

We just don’t see this problem in our area or anywhere we go in TV and we walk/bike most days.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, owners, villagers, program, dna

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.