Downsizing

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Downsizing

Scottke - you sound like me! I get excited about moving and then I get scared. I get anxious and then excited again and then scared again. My neighbor just moved; it's her 9th move in 15 years. I envy her - she's such a pro at it! She gave me some tips about moving - for instance, try not to move during peak season which basically is the good weather time - it's more expensive. You can't get them to lock in a definite price but using a reputable moving company is key.

I wonder what people do who sell their home; buy in TV and then coordinate the move that they are their when the movers arrive! I know I worry about stupid things and most times my hubby will smile and tell me to relax, it will work out!

I wish you all luck in selling your homes. As I've been told, there's a buyer for every home!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Thanks so much for answering me. I'm so high when I come back from visiting TV and I know my husband is ready to put the for sale sign out. He was ready after our first visit. Then we come back and everyone says how can you leave the grandkids and you are moving so far away. Then I have the guilts. I'm starting to wear earplugs now so I don't hear their comments. We both know it will be the right thing for us. It's just a matter of taking the step. Our kids are ready to take over some of our belongings. If they do that we'd have to move in order to buy new furniture. Here's hoping our house here goes fast. Good luck to everyone who is trying to make the move.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Scottke; I hear you loud and clear. My sister, who lives in Boston, can't believe I could even consider leaving the family. But like you, I am starting to tune it out. We know realistically that living in our present home when we retire will hurt us financially and drain our retirement. Downsizing to another area isn't appealing because the real estate taxes are too high here in IL and the winters are too long. Most of our friends that we have history with are in Boston and we're not moving back there! My son and daughter and their families are constantly busy with the kids and their own lives. The older my grandkids get, the less I see them! But I did have a beautiful day with my granddaughter on Sat. We went to the American Girl store and had a ball!

So, we have limited options and TV is so appealing that we can't resist it.

My daughter says that I've cared and taken care of people all my life, it's time for me now. She feels it's the best move we can make because we lack friends here and spend the winters indoors with the choices either of going to the mall or going to a movie! I absolutely love this time of year. I spend every chance I get in my lovely gazebo. I get so down thinking about taking the screens off in a few months and putting tarps on the furniture!

Like I said, I wish I could go poof and the hard part of leaving is behind me! My husband sounds like your husband, he's ready to go!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Here's a hug Oshun!!! I go back and forth so much I'm making me crazy! It's all I think about. Just the idea of leaving what I consider my dream home makes me nervous. We worked so hard on our landscaping and upgrades. I love my home but it's too big, over 4,000 sq feet! When I think of all the furniture and accent pieces I won't be able to take, I just don't want to think!!!!

No, you're not alone. I think there are more people like us than not.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Gold member

Hugs to Nanci2539 and oshunluva.
I know just how you are feeling. It seems so overwhelming leaving family, parting with special pieces from your life and leaving friends. I have been struggling with it for about a year.
My husband will not be retiring when we move to TV and I will be alone several days a month. I will not have to shovel snow, scrape windshields and be soooo cold. I can get out and meet people and garden , swim and walk virtually year round. Those are the reasons I finally decided it was time to make the move. My husband couldn't be happier. He gets to worry less about what I am dealing with and come home to a warm climate instead of the cold.
Even my son is getting adjusted to the idea, he has changed his mind just recently. Now he agrees it is time for us to move. Plus he gets a few of the pieces I will not be taking with us. A bonus it turns out. ;D ;D
Old 07-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

Let me tell you folks who are planning the big move to TV.....all the stress and trepidation will leave you once you are settled in your new home and begin to meet neighbors. I will suggest that you try to go to the neighborhood pool a few days a week around 10 am to meet neighbors. Also, Sumter Landing is lovely and not as crowded at Spanish Springs.

Check out the Recreation News on Thursday and see if any of the clubs meet your interests. You will be tempted to join EVERYTHING but don't do it.

Sit back, relax and get to fall in love with your Villages lifestyle just as my husband and I have done these last 23 months.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Hi nanci2539 and oshunluva, I'm back on line to see what's happening at TV. Once again I just loved hearing your encouragement and then some additional comments from others. Major, major move but we too have high taxes in NJ and everyone is moving to get away from them. We are anxious to come back down for a visit in August. I think we will ride around and look for homes that are resales to see what they offer, along with meeting with our sales rep again. Once we come back we'll be ready to put the sign on the lawn. The kids are finally beginning to realize we must do something and they are handling it. Ooops there goes their babysitter. After having my first child at 20 I'm ready for some fun in the sun. Once we all make the move we'll have to have lunch to laugh about how silly we were to worry. Have a good day.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Wow Scott, I had my first child at 20 as well. He just turned 40 and I can't believe I have a 40 year old son! My daughter just turned 38.

I am very blessed to have two very successful adult children and beautiful grandchildren. It's nice to know they are in a good place and have happy lives.

I think they know it's the best move for us - we left our friends in Boston when we moved to IL 12 years ago. It's great that we all ended up in the same town and it wasn't planned at all. We just ended up in IL for different reasons and live within a mile of each other.

They have busy lives with the children and our get togethers are getting far and few in between, especially in the summer. We still work and with little kids, you remember how hard it was to get them gathered to go out. Their weekends are full with social things going on in their neighborhood or different activities with the kids.

I know once the summer is over, it settles down. I try to have lots of Sunday dinners but by 6PM, the kids need to get home, bathe and in bed to get up early for school.

I babysit but not as much as I did when my daughter was going for her masters and I watched my granddaughter a few nights every week. Especially when her hubby traveled.

So, now that I've told you most of my life story here, you can probably appreciate the pull I have in leaving! Just knowing the family is around gives me a good feeling! If that makes sense.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Gold member

Hello, nanci 2539 and scottke,
We will have to start a club for those of us who had our first child at 20. Weren't we fortunate to grow up with our kids. It is sometimes hard to believe that my children are turning 41 and 38 in August and September and that I have 4 grandchildren.
I will miss the "grand" boys who will remain in New Hampshire and may get to see the "grand girls" in North Carolina more often.
It is time for us now, and so we will be at TV in September to buy our Villages home. It's very exciting and very daunting.
Downsizing is going to be a major challenge for me. I tend to hoard and my husband is a pack rat. Wish us luck!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Scottke,

When you are putting out the For Sale sign....Don't forget St Joseph!!! lol!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Hi beady and nancy 2539 - you too darbyduff,
Darbyduff my St. Joseph is ready to go - a friend sent it to me for luck. As far as my family, beady and nancy 2539, I may be a couple up on you - 4 boys-41,40,39,37 and a girl who will be 34 in Sept. Also a step-son who just turned 33. I have 10 grandchildren who live within a few miles of us. We keep telling them they can visit and go to Disney World - sure hope that helps. My stepson lives in Virginia so we can visit them on our trips back and forth up North. They don't have any kids yet, however. I we meet sometime in TV we could be the "20 & kids club". Silly us. But you are right it has been fun growing up with them and we still go out with them. See you at some point in TV and keeping posting how things are going.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.