Driving in the roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Driving in the roundabouts

Found this video on how to drive in the roundabouts, thought I'd share it with everyone. They should consider giving a copy of this to everyone that buys in TV.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/eesc/CAE/des.../mpg_index.htm
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Founder
Default Re: Driving in the roundabouts

Sadly, observing these safety rules in the Villages roundabouts will get the side of your car caved in. ???
Old 08-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

That's why I said in another thread when I exit from the center lane I only do it if there's no one behind me or if they are to the right of me I watch for them to commit. Whether it's in TV or here at home in Michigan (we have a few here) it's all about watching out for the other guy.

By the way what did you think of the video, it should be enlightening for a lot of people.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM

thanks for this post golfnut - the more people who know the rules- the safer we are ??? At least I personally like to know what I am "supposed" to do. Of course the #1 thing is to watch out for the other guy but that is a given in life anyway.

I have posted this link to the video on our Mallory Square website (http://www.mallorysquaresocial-lites.com )for my neighbors to look at - wish the Village website would do one and post it. Most of us didn't even know where to go for the rules and a very few percent will take the time to go to the instruction class on driving carts. A video might be something they would take the time to look at and this one is excellent.

Do you know if the same laws of the road apply in Florida as in the state where this video was made?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am pretty sure that this video applies in TV but I am not 100% certain. Either way it goes a long way toward explaining the do's and don'ts.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 AM

Watched the video with interest. Looks great when everybody does the right thing. Just won't work here in TV. Too many bad drivers. The inside lane in TV is used by the speeders who want to jump the entrance line and there is absolutely no reasoning involved when they depart the roundabout. There have been many discussions in TV about doing away with the inside lane (left). That would put everybody into one lane for entering the roundabout and eliminate the problem of cutting you off when they exit. Don't forget, there is an entrance for every exit. Enter the roundabout in the left lane intending to exit two exits later, and you have to cut-off the people entering from the first exit and intending to exit one or two exits later. Sounds confusing? Well, it is. Forget also about everybody exceeding the 20mph limit in the roundabout. Here in TV, the only safe thing to do is stay right and watch the idiot to your left. The roundabouts are too small to follow the rule in the video safely.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Platinum member

Cliff,
Tampa, FL
Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Eternal Member

Golfnut. Thanks for starting a new topic so we can all contribute!

I watched the video. Agree everyone should watch it - even though it is the state of Washington and not Florida it does tell the procedure. The important thing to remember from this video is to go slow and watch out for the other traffic. The inside lane does not have an automatic shot at exiting at exit number two, three, or four since he is on the inside and some one else could have entered from a later point.

For the most part, everyone does the roundabout correctly. Every once in a while you get some one shooting in from the left lane and whipping out from the left lane without even looking to see if there is some one continuing around the circle.

Every annual survey I ask that the Daily Sun includes the rules of the roundabout in grey or color once a month so that newbies and us oldies can be made aware of roundabout rules in TV. It has yet to happen.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

BOTTOM LINE IS ....JUST STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE AND YOU'LL BE FINE........BUT WATCH OVER YOUR LEFT SHOULDER...........
Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Veteran member

GOLFNUT:
Thanks for the info. I always wondered what the rules were. Now they're clear as mud. lol
I believe I'll be more carefull :dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 09-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

It took me a little while to get used to the roundabouts but now I am just fine. I wish that everyone would follow the rules but sadly, day after day, someone crosses in front of me from the inside lane to enter into an opening. Good thing I watch both lanes of traffic regularly. I simply don't understand why people can't follow the rules and what is the big hurry anyway!!!!! :edit:
Old 09-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

We took the golf cart driving class soon after we arrived here in Feb. The Sumter County Deputy Sheriff :cop: gave the presentation. During the Q&A a person asked how to negotiate our roundabouts. The Deputy Sheriff said, "Just stay in the RIGHT lane!" So, that is what I do .
Tampa, FL
Old 09-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks! I remember that when we visited in June, I was doing some 'back seat driving' to my husband when we were in the Round Abouts. I can't remember what we disagreed on, but maybe this will help. It's good to hear the others' comments, too. Sounds like you just have to be cautious.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

From my experience, staying in the right lane makes complete and total sense. The most screwups that I've witnessed, some close up and personal, are those who are entering the circles and don't know that they have to yield to traffic already in the circle! It's like driving 101 yet you see it every time you go out. :dontknow:
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Looks like they are going to redo striping in roudabouts and make them all consistent, duh. hopefully this can only help make things better, but as some others have said it's not all that bad if you go slow and watch for the other guy.
http://www.ocala.com/article/2007090.../1131/REPORTER

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.