E-Bikes on bike/walking paths

Old 04-30-2024, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Yes, that is a summary of the Florida definition of the classes of ebiks.

My question was how is a moped not an ebike? Perhaps an electric drive system makes it an ebike while a gasoline engine would make it a moped but that wasn't clear to me.
Mopeds are designed to be used with a throttle. The pedal functions primarily as the method to start the engine, and secondarily as places to put your feet while you ride. While they CAN be pedaled, they weigh too much and are too top-heavy for pedaling them to be practical for anything other than emergencies (walking it a few blocks to the nearest gas station when it runs out of gas, or rolling it up a ramp onto the back of a pickup truck.). In the state of Florida they are categorized with motorcycles if they're 50ccs or more, and as scooters if they're under 50ccs.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Here's from TV website:
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...te=1&p=2326652

So bikes are allowed on the pedestrian walkways.
Hogeye Preserve Pathway is considered a "pedestrian path", but look at bottom of the webpage where it shows what modes of traffic allowed.

I sympathize with the walkers, the bikes should not be using it like a racecourse, it is a nature trail for enjoying the calm and scenery.
If bikes feel the need for a bell or horn, both are in the wrong.

Walkers should always walk facing opposing traffic. Didn't you learn anything in grade school, and Boy/Girl Scouts ?

The Villages Florida
When you're on a pedestrian path, you ARE the traffic. Just like when you're on a sidewalk, you ARE the traffic. On an MMP, you share the road, but cars are not allowed. You MIGHT be the traffic, on an MMP. On a city street, the cars are the traffic.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Yeah, everyone wants to do 30+ in a golf cart.

There are signs at every entrance to The Villages that paraphrased say; 'if no speed limit is posted, the speed limit is 20 MPH.'

Also, senior eyesight not so good, you should slow-down. (not posted, just logical)
You are referring to the signs on the public highways, right? Logically, those signs apply to traffic on the streets. The only signs I remember seeing on the MMPs are the few 10mph signs such as the one crossing the bridge at Lake Sumter.

Are those seniors with poor eyesight the same ones driving automobiles 40mph down Morse and 80mph on the turnpike? If their eyesight is good enough for that...

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-30-2024, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote:
There is no logic to that at all.

Walking is physically limited to less thsn 5moh. Is it therefore logical that any other mode of transportation using the MMP should be limited to 5mph?

It really seems like "share the path" should be adequate.

No you got it wrong. Over 20 mph is dangerous mode so with a lot of yeps driving to next tee times.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Mopeds are designed to be used with a throttle. The pedal functions primarily as the method to start the engine, and secondarily as places to put your feet while you ride. While they CAN be pedaled, they weigh too much and are too top-heavy for pedaling them to be practical for anything other than emergencies (walking it a few blocks to the nearest gas station when it runs out of gas, or rolling it up a ramp onto the back of a pickup truck.). In the state of Florida they are categorized with motorcycles if they're 50ccs or more, and as scooters if they're under 50ccs.
Say same thing about electric bikes.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Rather than asking here and getting OPINIONS you can ask the police. Our police are very helpful-not the enemy.
I ride a bike, drive a gold cart and a car. Sadly we tend to notice the fools-not the good drivers.
They used to have a scheduled meeting at the Savanna Center with the police where you could ask these questions-perhaps they still do.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
You are referring to the signs on the public highways, right? Logically, those signs apply to traffic on the streets. The only signs I remember seeing on the MMPs are the few 10mph signs such as the one crossing the bridge at Lake Sumter.

Are those seniors with poor eyesight the same ones driving automobiles 40mph down Morse and 80mph on the turnpike? If their eyesight is good enough for that...
LOGIC, REALITY. You have total control over what you do. BUT, others .........
Old 04-30-2024, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,761 Posts

I am not sure I understand, as a motorcycle, scooter, moped rider… why should any powered bikes be allowed on a “walking” trail? I know you have a great deal of control on these machines, can fit into tight places, and swerve easily - but their possible speed and weight in an unobservant moment, can make them quite dangerous.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:21 AM

An intersection on hwy 40 in Ocala was just reconfigured. The intersecting road (14th St.) now has a narrow bike lane in the middle of two vehicle lanes???
Old 04-30-2024, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,205 Times in 2,799 Posts

The paths are designed for Villages residents to enjoy the active senior lifestyle and get healthy outdoor exercise. My opinion, which certainly isn’t an opinion dictated by technical legalities, is that e bikes without a throttle, and are pedal assist only, are perfectly acceptable. Once you add a throttle to a bike, I believe it crosses the line of not really being a bicycle.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
An intersection on hwy 40 in Ocala was just reconfigured. The intersecting road (14th St.) now has a narrow bike lane in the middle of two vehicle lanes???
Up north they do this sometimes, with barricades on the sides of the bike lanes to keep cars safely away.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:24 AM

I wish the Villages would address this. I have a pedal assist e-bike. If I stop pedaling, I get no assistance from the battery. I do ride on the walking/bike paths. But I am bothered by the bikes that are driven down the paths - they aren’t even being pedaled and are usually moving very fast. I am also bothered by the electric skateboards that look like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:37 PM
Default Ebikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I own an e-bike, the kind that looks like a moped style motorcycle. Powered by battery, but has pedals and can be fully operated without the battery.

I've seen conflicting information on where I'm allowed to use this. I see regular bicycles that are battery assisted on bike paths everyday. When I've ridden my e-bike on these a handful of times, I've experienced negative reactions from people.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid driving my fairly small e-bike in the golf cart lane and getting run down by someone in their SUV with diminished vision.ebikes go about the same speed as a golf cart, so why wouldn’t you ride them on the paths

I've been unable to find any clear rules about this when it comes to bike/walking paths. I'm specifically referring to the type south of 44 where they are separate from the MMPs.
E-bikes go about the same speed as a golf cart, so why wouldn’t you ride the on the paths
Old 04-30-2024, 12:50 PM
Default Path’s based on bike classification

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
When you're on a pedestrian path, you ARE the traffic. Just like when you're on a sidewalk, you ARE the traffic. On an MMP, you share the road, but cars are not allowed. You MIGHT be the traffic, on an MMP. On a city street, the cars are the traffic.
Some municipalities, parks and federal lands have posted written restrictions on electric bikes based on their classification. Those are usually limited to class one or two. Many prohibit class three (those traveling up to 28 mph).
None exists here in the The Villages that I’ve seen yet.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,071 Times in 547 Posts
Default Interested

I would be interested in how an e-bike operator does once they wrap their pedal around the leashed Doberman Pincher. I don’t imagine the animal will take kindly to the spokes.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Tags
paths, e-bike, battery, bike/walking, fairly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.