Eastport Design

Old 04-06-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Lake Sumter Landing is a beautiful town center, partly because there are nice areas to escape the entertainment and commercial stores and just sit quietly and enjoy the beauty of the whole place.

In contrast, Brownwood is claustrophobic. It is hard to escape the music find a nice place to sit comfortably.

Sawgrass is even worse. Everything is packed into a small area and there is no place to sit and relax. I suspect that Eastport will be the same way.
Sunset Island ………
Old 04-06-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Golf cart parking is going to be a serious issue. Like at Sawgrass but times 10. Sawgrass has almost no retail in comparison to what Eastport will have and it's parking lot is still completely full on a regular basis to the point where you're driving around in circles for several minutes trying to snag a spot when there's a decent band playing.tons
there’s going to be plenty of parking at Eastport ……
Old 04-06-2024, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeMichigan View Post
there’s going to be plenty of parking at Eastport ……
Thousands of residents have been counting down the days their area gets a town square. Not to mention those living in Middleton, apartments, and surrounding area. Expect it to be CROWDED! No matter how many parking spaces they provide, it will never be enough.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 04-06-2024 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:40 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts

Interesting design Eastport. Lots of walking for the elderly and the handicapped to traverse. No close parking in the “downtown” for residents of The Villages. Design and overall concept of Eastgate has a lot to like and fits well with the youth in Middleton and in general with the walkers south of 44. Hopefully some thought will be given how to get the handicap and elderly into the “downtown” area that in the evening is just a walking area.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:02 PM
Default Pizza

$70 for a pizza pie??
Old 04-07-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
Recommendation: Use the sidewalks rather than walk in the road. Erp...
Great plan, except trying to cross the cobblestone to get to the other side.
Ever see how horrible it is for anyone with a walker? With a cane? Wheelchair? It's a huge tripping hazard too.
Falling onto a ragged uneven surface puts the impact into a tiny area, causing deep injuries.

Why are so many people against that? It's cheaper to not build it like that than to rip it out and replace it later.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:38 AM
TOTV Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Great plan, except trying to cross the cobblestone to get to the other side.
Ever see how horrible it is for anyone with a walker? With a cane? Wheelchair? It's a huge tripping hazard too.
Falling onto a ragged uneven surface puts the impact into a tiny area, causing deep injuries.

Why are so many people against that? It's cheaper to not build it like that than to rip it out and replace it later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Ok, that might work. I give the developer (s) more respect than to put in old European style cobblestones - it’s like having to put ice in your icebox to keep things cool like long ago because there were no fridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Again, think Disney ....a faux or composite application. They’re not gonna put in a 1930’s era cobblestone like the ones that have survived in major cities on East Coast. With ADA mandates and conceptual knowledge of the demo it will serve....the developer is not blind to this.
Watching the VMail I didn’t see any renderings in the drawings of Eastport with cobblestone.
The hand drawings look more like brick in the streets and stamped concrete along the retail.

I didn’t hear any mention of cobblestone, on the Vmail. Maybe I missed something in the design team discussion
Old 04-07-2024, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Watching the VMail I didn’t see any renderings in the drawings of Eastport with cobblestone.
The hand drawings look more like brick in the streets and stamped concrete along the retail.

I didn’t hear any mention of cobblestone, on the Vmail. Maybe I missed something in the design team discussion
Yep! I believe that. With all the great designs for retired people done in the past, I couldn’t imagine the developer suddenly going “funky”.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post

They described brick pavers in other communication.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community

Eastport Downtown

Eastport’s inspiration has a hint of European influence with quaint shops and buildings scaled down to create intimate settings.

Stroll through a brick-paved alley or muse lined with boutiques and unique experiences. Here you’ll explore a variety of entertainment, shopping and dining options along the waterfront.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7601.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	103585  

Last edited by Altavia; 04-07-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
They described brick pavers in other communication.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community

Eastport Downtown

Eastport’s inspiration has a hint of European influence with quaint shops and buildings scaled down to create intimate settings.

Stroll through a brick-paved alley or muse lined with boutiques and unique experiences. Here you’ll explore a variety of entertainment, shopping and dining options along the waterfront.
Yes, as I said before, that’ll do. I had visions of the European cobblestone streets of Paris for example, where even scooters/mopeds have some challenges. In London, UK the cobblestone streets are a nightmare in stilettos etc.

The design is lovely, by the way.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Eastport will be a shot into arm for the southern area. A long time coming, and I look forward to its completion. It will be a 25 minute drive using the Turnpike or 31 minutes using Morse Blvd. So a golf cart ride won't be in the cards, but it looks to be worth the drive for a fun evening.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Lots of walking for the elderly and the handicapped to traverse. No close parking in the “downtown” for residents of The Villages.
That sounds very good to me. Brownwood is not a good place to walk because there are the stupid golf carts whizzing around everywhere. It would be nice if Eastport keeps the golf carts away from the "downtown" area.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Golf cart parking is going to be a serious issue. Like at Sawgrass but times 10. Sawgrass has almost no retail in comparison to what Eastport will have and it's parking lot is still completely full on a regular basis to the point where you're driving around in circles for several minutes trying to snag a spot when there's a decent band playing.
I wonder if parking will be less of a problem when Eastport opens and the south area has more choices. With barely anything there compared to Brownwood, the parking at SawGrass shouldn't be so difficult..especially on a weekend
Old 04-07-2024, 04:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,716 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Really?

It's so busy no body goes they're anymore....

Maybe cranky old dark clouds are not the target market.
Sawgrass Grove is a very small space. It doesn't take a lot of bodies to fill it up. I don't think the fact that I'm not impressed with a mall food court makes me a cranky old dark cloud.

Hey, if you like it, more power to you. I am monumentally unimpressed by the venue. Fortunately for me, I live closer to LSL than I do to SG, so I have no need to go to SG for a chicken sandwich and soda pop that costs $30.

Tags
eastport, design, family, renderings, peek

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.