Exact age restriction rules to buy and live in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I don't understand why you posted "More and more occupants are using a loophole".
Children and grandchildren over the age of 19 have always been able to live in The Villages as caregivers.
They can rent houses (without a parent or grandparent).
We may not like "the rules", but that's the deal we signed up for.
Where do you come up with that people under 19 can rent houses in The Villages.

My understanding is that children under the age of 19 are not allowed to live here. Maybe there is an exception for caregivers, but I doubt that children under 19 can occupy a home whether a rental or a purchase.

Sorry. Misread your post. The fact is that people over the age of 19 can buy, rent and/or reside in The Villages unless less than 80% of the homes are occupied by at least one person over the age of 55.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 10-09-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Where do you come up with that people under 19 can rent houses in The Villages...
?????

Bare said OVER 19.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Interesting ... that is the first time I've ever heard a theory on how The Villages keeps track of ages.
It would be hard to keep track of this way, since we don't put renters ages on the form when we apply for temporary IDs for them!
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 10-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Pet peeve. Poster asks what is always controversial question and then never responds. Did you change your mind about coming?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The enforced rule is if your check clears, you can buy and live in a TV home.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
?????

Bare said OVER 19.
Yea, I just noticed that. My apologies.

Anyone over the age of 19 is allowed to live in The Villages unless we get to a point where less than 80% of the homes are occupied by someone over the age of 55. And even if that were the case, they'd still be able to move in as long as they lived in a home with a person over 55.

They don't need to be caregivers or children of residents.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Default Labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Something needs to be done, not only in The Villages but in other 55 and over communities. I know of one such community which used to be tightly run but has recently come under new management - the residents (gulp)!. With the exception of caregivers one occupant of a couple is required to be 55 or older. What has happened is that more and more occupants are using a loophole, letting their loser adult children and grandchildren move in with them as "caregivers". These younger folks are druggies, alcoholics, felons, you name it and they are quite problematical in many ways.
I am one of theses "younger folks" and am not a druggie, alcoholic, felon nor am I problematic. I was smart and was able to retire at age 46 so please don't label every under 55 person enjoying the Villages.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:14 AM

The bottom line is that if the percentages become for example 75%/25% nothing will happen other than The Villages can't advertise that they are a 55+ community. They won't lose federal funds because they don't get any. They certainly don't advertise on TV like they used to. In my humble opinion they don't care who lives here just as long as they sell houses.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-12-2016, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Something needs to be done, not only in The Villages but in other 55 and over communities. I know of one such community which used to be tightly run but has recently come under new management - the residents (gulp)!. With the exception of caregivers one occupant of a couple is required to be 55 or older. What has happened is that more and more occupants are using a loophole, letting their loser adult children and grandchildren move in with them as "caregivers". These younger folks are druggies, alcoholics, felons, you name it and they are quite problematical in many ways.
What do you mean by tightly run? We've posted what the law says several times. The Villages or any other over 55 community has no right to deny people the right to purchase a home as long as the guidelines are met.

Why do you refer to this as a loophole? It's simply the law. As long as some one is over the age of 19 and 80% of the units in the community are occupied by at least one person over the age of 55 they have the right to live here. They may rent, live with parents or own the home in which they live. I don't know for sure, but if they have no person over 55 living un their unit, and if we got below 80% of the homes having a person over 55 in them, they might have to move out.

As far as records being kept, since this is a federal law, I would think that it would be mandatory that records are kept. I wouldn't be surprised if an annual report has to be made to some government agency in order to keep our status as an over 55 community.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What do you mean by tightly run? We've posted what the law says several times. The Villages or any other over 55 community has no right to deny people the right to purchase a home as long as the guidelines are met.

Why do you refer to this as a loophole? It's simply the law. As long as some one is over the age of 19 and 80% of the units in the community are occupied by at least one person over the age of 55 they have the right to live here. They may rent, live with parents or own the home in which they live. I don't know for sure, but if they have no person over 55 living un their unit, and if we got below 80% of the homes having a person over 55 in them, they might have to move out.

As far as records being kept, since this is a federal law, I would think that it would be mandatory that records are kept. I wouldn't be surprised if an annual report has to be made to some government agency in order to keep our status as an over 55 community.
Doc. They do have a right, the 80% is a minimum. The 20% is there to give them a cushion in the event an 55+ loved one dies. What they allow in the 20% is up to the community.

We were not allowed to buy a condo in Norton, MA AFTER we already owned a home in The Villages because no one in the home would be 55+.

It is up to the community if they allow homes without a 55+ occupant. The Villages is looser than the community in Norton.

What happens if they go under 80%? They no longer are an over 55 community and can no longer deny access to anyone, including young families.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakesmom208 View Post
I am one of theses "younger folks" and am not a druggie, alcoholic, felon nor am I problematic. I was smart and was able to retire at age 46 so please don't label every under 55 person enjoying the Villages.
Jakesmom208: I agree...

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 11-23-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Pet peeve. Poster asks what is always controversial question and then never responds.
Perhaps your pet-peeve post will prompt Tim to respond.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, mls, agent, realtor, exception

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.