Excellent 8 4.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrrjanis View Post
Attention The Villages Executive Course Golfers -- it seems like The Villages Golf Course Maintenance Department has lost control of the Executive Courses South of CR 466. These Courses are in need of major repair and they should be closed for repair.

The poor condition of the Executive Courses is the result of poor and/or lack the of maintenance by The Villages Golf Course Maintenance Department. The Villages Executive Golf Courses are so bad that most of the Golfers that play them have gone to a two putt maximum when playing.

As an example of the poor maintenance of the Golf Courses, Pelican was a challenging course that many Golfers looked forward to playing. However, the Villages Golf Course Maintenance Department has totally destroyed the course by clearing out almost every environmental hazardous area which has totally destroyed the appeal of the course.

Also, when a Golfer encounters most of the Golf Course Maintenance Department personnel on any course the maintenance personnel seem to have no idea about the game of Golf by either standing in the Golfers way and/or watering as the Golfer attempts to play.

There are many other examples that could be put to print regarding the poor and/or lack of maintenance of The Villages Executive Courses; however, in the interest of time may we suggest that if The Villages Course Maintenance Department cannot maintain the Executive Courses we The Villages Golfers should discontinue paying The Villages Amenity fee that applies to the Executive Course Maintenance as well as any Trial Fees that may apply until this problem is corrected.

Make your voice be heard and make some noise -- all The Villages wants is our money and they provide little for the funds received to maintain the Executive Golf Courses.
Well, when we moved to the Villages 7 yrs. ago, the Executive courses were played a lot but not like they are now. They had the same issues then as most of us say they are having now. I really think it's just the season where they get played the most, in the winter the grass goes dormant & when the grass doesn't grow as much & with heavy play, what do we expect. Just like our yards they can't fertilize them in winter & force them to grow, that'll kill the grass for sure. They'll come back, but us golfers want nice courses all the time but it's not going to happen. Be patient!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogeybobtoo View Post
Not only are the Executive course in poor condition, both Havana and Bonifay on the 18 hole circuit are also in terrible condition. It’s just a matter of GREED and PROFITS. Two things come to mind, They started the practice of not overseeing with winter rye grass about 3 years ago to save money and maximize their profits. Secondly, there is a general lack of supervision of the several maintenance companies that are responsible for the golf course up keep. Throw in some very dry months and continuous play, it’s a recipe for trouble. That’s my take. Happy golfing"???????
Played Havana last Thursday and did not find the greens in terrible condition. Perfect no....but hardly terrible.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 AM

I don't have a one size fits all answer. I think the courses are generally if decent shape but often not in great shape.
I am a relatively new golfer and don't know for sure what are the correct methods of maintaining a golf course. I do see room
for improvement though. In the past I was not impressed paying a premium for Lopez and playing on some very poor greens. Have not played there in a while. Hawkes Bay was redone last year and it looks like Saddlebrook will be done this summer as it is listed to be closed for 3 months.
I have played Baseline several times (not lately) and it seems to be more lush versus the hard pack of TV courses. I figure if they can do it????
Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Keep in mind, I believe the "Villages" recently "took back" golf course management from the people doing it so, maybe they have noticed the deterioration of the courses as well? I played Bacall this week and a few of the greens are in bad shape. Greens can take a long time to bounce back unless you tear them up and replace them and the current volume of play is not going to allow any green to repair itself. Catch 22 unless you want to close down courses to let them "rebound".
Old 04-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Default Agree with deterioration

I have been here 11 years now, and have been golfing on the exec's about 4 times a week. There has been, without a doubt, a drop in the quality of the care on the courses in general. I have noticed this north and south of 466. Try golfing on Silver Lake with the par 4 having no grass on the fairway. Hard pan and sand. Spotty care on all the courses seems to be the rule...this cannot be denied. Not complaining but stating a fact.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Here 8 yrs. 1500+ rounds on Execs for me. Always rake and fix ball marks. Maintenance has deteriorated significantly since we played our first round here as anyone who plays here can clearly see. Maintenance personnel are completely ignorant and poorly trained (or supervised) Ambassadors need to be empowered to confront golfers who don't rake, don't fix ball marks, drive in areas where they are doing damage, and severely retard play (can be done politely). There, I said it and I am glad--Hmmmmmmmmmm!
Hi, this will hopefully get better as "The Family" has taken control of the course management. The slide in the conditions should be
fixed quickly. One of the main attraction factors to a large amount of the residents was the golf. The word gets around that the courses are suffering will not have the impact that is wanted for the future.
The residents and ruling folks should take a look at Bladerunner Farms near San Antonio, TX. Some of the grass options they offer may have a good outcome for the situation here. I have no interest
with them. Just want to make things better for everyone who golfs.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:54 AM

I fully concur! Needs immediate attention! Over played and minimal maintenance
Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Default Course Conditions

I get sick and tired of everyone blaming everything they don't like on the developer's greed and money. If they were that greedy, they'd have turned TV and golf courses over to the residents some years ago (much in the same manner that Del Webb and his Sun Cities did). If that would have happened, you'd be moving instead of complaining. The golf courses in TV get a tremendous amount of play each year, and the heaviest play is in Dec-April, when renters and snowbirds are here. That time period is also when the grasses are in a dormant state and don't grow. Rye looks good and is nice when it is full and cold, but the first hot spell we get, stops the rye and doesn't stimulate the bermuda....hence dirt. Comparing TV course to those 'at home' or resorts in the area is wishful thinking. None of those course everyone mentions gets anywhere close to the play TV does. Baseline is owned and operated by a nursery. The course management is woring to make things better. Some of the Executive courses should be closed for a month when they get bad, to allow the turf to recover.....but then the players would be complaining about them being closed when most needed. A big help would be for ALL players to respect the courses better. Filll in divots, repair ball marks correctly, rake and leave bunkers in a better condition than they found them, and not drive all over the course when it is not necessary. Resonable Accomidation tags are grossly over abused with carts too close to greens and bunkers, parking on turf when cart path is a few feet farther, and driving all over course instead of utilizing 90 degree entry from cart paths. The green abuse has escalated with the new pin in the hole rule. Players have become too lazy to reach in the hole to get their ball, or if an aid is necessary, pulling the pin before retrieving the ball. The lazy use of a putter head to fish the ball from the hole is never acceptable as it always causes the sides of holes to be destroyed. When the hole is destroyed, the ball will lip-out frequently, causing the 'player' to complain about poor maintainence. We should all treat our courses as if WE OWNED them.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Default Poor Golf Conditions

I do agree that the executive courses have never been in poorer condition in my 5 year experience golfing in The Villages. I would urge people responsible for the management of these courses to pay attention to what seems to be a growing number of golfers dismayed by deteriorating course conditions. It sure leaves a bad impression on guests who could turn into home owners if they enjoy their golf experience as my wife and I did when we first visited The Villages on a Life Style visit and are now home owners. Think about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrrjanis View Post
Attention The Villages Executive Course Golfers -- it seems like The Villages Golf Course Maintenance Department has lost control of the Executive Courses South of CR 466. These Courses are in need of major repair and they should be closed for repair.

The poor condition of the Executive Courses is the result of poor and/or lack the of maintenance by The Villages Golf Course Maintenance Department. The Villages Executive Golf Courses are so bad that most of the Golfers that play them have gone to a two putt maximum when playing.

As an example of the poor maintenance of the Golf Courses, Pelican was a challenging course that many Golfers looked forward to playing. However, the Villages Golf Course Maintenance Department has totally destroyed the course by clearing out almost every environmental hazardous area which has totally destroyed the appeal of the course.

Also, when a Golfer encounters most of the Golf Course Maintenance Department personnel on any course the maintenance personnel seem to have no idea about the game of Golf by either standing in the Golfers way and/or watering as the Golfer attempts to play.

There are many other examples that could be put to print regarding the poor and/or lack of maintenance of The Villages Executive Courses; however, in the interest of time may we suggest that if The Villages Course Maintenance Department cannot maintain the Executive Courses we The Villages Golfers should discontinue paying The Villages Amenity fee that applies to the Executive Course Maintenance as well as any Trial Fees that may apply until this problem is corrected.

Make your voice be heard and make some noise -- all The Villages wants is our money and they provide little for the funds received to maintain the Executive Golf Courses.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

We played Longleaf yesterday afternoon and the course was in very good shape. We had a great time.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM

ok 2.068,752 rounds played in 2018 or about 53,000 rounds per courses based on 39 courses. so even if they more staff the courses wouldn't be much better. personally I think it is a lack of water . maybe you need a for sale sign
Old 04-01-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouatiny View Post
ok 2.068,752 rounds played in 2018 or about 53,000 rounds per courses based on 39 courses. so even if they more staff the courses wouldn't be much better. personally I think it is a lack of water . maybe you need a for sale sign
What a lousy response to a growing issue for many..
Old 04-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We played Longleaf yesterday afternoon and the course was in very good shape. We had a great time.
Agreed we played gray fox and red fox sat and both were in good shape. had a great time. They seem to be in much better shape than north
Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts
Default Same song, different singer

Here is a thread from 2010 with almost exactly the same complaints.

The executive greens

Quote:
Just my opinion but if you consider the amount of play that the executive courses get and the weather conditions in the past month, I think you can understand why the greens are in such bad shapes.
Quote:
I have always thought that it is the little things that make a difference in a golf course. Filling ball washers, grooming around sand traps, you name it, it is the small stuff and if that is not getting done the big stuff never does.
Quote:
I was about to purchase a home but was alarmed about some complaints I have been hearing about the state of the greens

Quote:
Having said this if the staff on hand cannot handle the problems then Golf Management should bring in better professionals to consult on the problems.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
Agreed we played gray fox and red fox sat and both were in good shape. had a great time. They seem to be in much better shape than north
The 4 courses in Fenney get a LOT less play than those north of 44. I'm certainly not an expert, but it probably is not coincidental.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, executive, maintenance, golf, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.