Block Vs Framed

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Default Block Vs Framed

We are looking at homes in TV, not sure to go with block and stucco or wood frame and siding? Why did you chose wood or block?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

Block for hurricanes, tornadoes and fire. Although, some frame homes have a higher R factor than block. Also, don't have to pressure clean as often.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Definitely block for me in FL. Feel safer against hurricanes and tornadoes.
Also, not worried as much about termites, although still have treated yearly.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Go with what you like and can afford. After 12 years here I have seen both stucco/block and frame hit by tornadoes and both had a lot of damage. I have also seen the aftermath of a lightening strike to a frame and a block/stucco home and both were pretty gutted and had damage to the structure. As far as hurricanes where were at w'eve had some wind that's it. We have termite protection that's not that expensive not a problem House was treated well when built. Pressure washing the siding again $70 twice a year includes my big bird cage and a tip for they guy. I have seen stucco/block homes that could use a washing for mildew and depending on how long you live here may need to be repainted.
We initially looked for stucco but ended up with a frame because the price was right for all we got, haven't regretted it once in all our years here Enjoy the search for your dream home!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Both homes types meet wind/storm building codes if new or built within the last 12 years or so (first code was in 1992, second code upgrade in 2002). Location & floor plan are more important, we think. Vinyl homes are recommended to be power washed every 6-12 months (about $50.00 per wash). Block needs painting about every 5 years. I think the block looks more tropical/floridian, but both are nice.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Default Block or frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Block for hurricanes, tornadoes and fire. Although, some frame homes have a higher R factor than block. Also, don't have to pressure clean as often.
Block homes have block walls but everything above the walls are wood. So all the building are the same construction above the walls... So if a storm blows your roof off it is coming off a block just as quick.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Definitely block for me in FL. Feel safer against hurricanes and tornadoes.
Also, not worried as much about termites,
First of all the roof on both will be ripped away,

Second debris will break the windows and suck out the contents.

I feel safer getting out of Dodge!!!!

Termites .... there is wood on all exterior walls behind the sheetrock, wood on the entire ceiling and roof, many interior walls are wood.

I''l take the higher R value in frame home.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Platinum member

Have lived in a block home for over a decade.
I think the block house keeps the house cooler
In Summer and warmer in Winter.
I do feel safer on a block home.
That being said, buy what you can afford.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 AM

I just love the look of the stucco
Old 05-16-2014, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

It boils down to what house (vinyl or stucco) has the location and amenities you want. If you find that with both vinyl and stucco, what is within your budget and which do you prefer the appearance of the exterior.

Enjoy the process. When you see the perfect house, you will know.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Sage

Frame houses have more insulation due to more space within the walls. Thus stay cooler or warmer than block.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Platinum member

We have a vinyl sided home. First one I have ever lived in.

I originally wanted block for more soundproofing (and the esthetics), but the house orientation and the floor plan we wanted were more important factors. We bought from existing inventory.

We are in a CYV. In all but the very newest complexes, all the houses are the same color.

There were two block available at the time we were ready to purchase that would have partially suited our needs, but the homes in that complex were painted an unappealing (to us) mustard color that was kind of overwhelming to see en masse. Just us I guess, for they were sold in a flash.

I am quite satisfied with our vinyl siding. Very easy to keep the outside looking fresh and affordably cooled in summer heat. Less expensive purchase price, as well.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,346 Times in 559 Posts

We have purchased both vinyl and block in TV. Others have mentioned difference and I will just list two more. Nobody has mentioned the cost of repainting the block and stucco house about every 5 years. I have heard costs up to $10,000---we never lived in ours long enough to paint.

A bit more inside sq. ft. In a frame house.

Bottom line----your preference and location.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
Go with what you like and can afford. After 12 years here I have seen both stucco/block and frame hit by tornadoes and both had a lot of damage. I have also seen the aftermath of a lightening strike to a frame and a block/stucco home and both were pretty gutted and had damage to the structure. As far as hurricanes where were at w'eve had some wind that's it. We have termite protection that's not that expensive not a problem House was treated well when built. Pressure washing the siding again $70 twice a year includes my big bird cage and a tip for they guy. I have seen stucco/block homes that could use a washing for mildew and depending on how long you live here may need to be repainted.
We initially looked for stucco but ended up with a frame because the price was right for all we got, haven't regretted it once in all our years here Enjoy the search for your dream home!
Great answer!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:27 PM

We've lived in both here in TV. I definitely prefer block/stucco. The AC and heating costs are much lower in block/stucco, frame needs to be powerwash twice a year, and I feel much more secure from high winds/tornadoes in Block stucco. The last may be less factual and more a "feeling" but I saw pictures of the tornado that hit here in 07 and I couldn't believe how may gutter downspouts and tree branches penetrated the walls of frame homes
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.