AAII - Another shake down. Do I fight?

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2023, 07:00 PM
Angry AAII - Another shake down. Do I fight?

Years ago American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) sent me an offer for a "lifetime" membership which include one print magazine a month for the rest of my life should I select the $500 option. Typically $20/year, I did the math and elected the one time payment. I enjoy the print version, but the information is always posted online, but that is not the point.

Now, in 2023 I receive notice that I will have to pay a minimum of $2/year for the first year should I elect to continue to receive my monthly printed AAII magazines.

I accepted the fact that the cost of print and mailing has gone up (not my problem or fault) and went to pay the $2 yearly fee.

Now in small print is the following language is this:
The $2 annual contribution amount will increase to $5. All other price points will renew at their respective rates. You will always be notified in advance of any charge, and you can cancel at anytime.

I wrote a nasty response which I cannot print here as I am no lady when someone takes advantage of me, slipped the note in the postage paid envelope and put it in the mail.

What do you think?
Old 08-07-2023, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,015 Times in 4,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnan View Post
Years ago American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) sent me an offer for a "lifetime" membership which include one print magazine a month for the rest of my life should I select the $500 option. Typically $20/year, I did the math and elected the one time payment. I enjoy the print version, but the information is always posted online, but that is not the point.

Now, in 2023 I receive notice that I will have to pay a minimum of $2/year for the first year should I elect to continue to receive my monthly printed AAII magazines.

I accepted the fact that the cost of print and mailing has gone up (not my problem or fault) and went to pay the $2 yearly fee.

The $2 annual contribution amount will increase to $5. All other price points will renew at their respective rates. You will always be notified in advance of any charge, and you can cancel at anytime.

I wrote a nasty response which I cannot print here as I am no lady when someone takes advantage of me, slipped the note in the postage paid envelope and put it in the mail.

What do you think?
This is a joke, right? $5????

Maybe start a go fund me page
Old 08-07-2023, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:

What do you think?
I think that you need to learn to save the digital copy, and potentially print it off yourself if you choose to clutter up your office. I have nearly 10 years of Analytics Magazine in digital format for reading when i ever get around to it. And i also have a box of paper articles, which i have read once, from 2000

in 6 plus years of corporate finance work, i printed maybe 50 pages, from someone else's digital presentation. Everything I did was saved in digital format for reading and reviewing at any time in the future.

good luck, but that is why the paper cost is going up, because of people who don't know how to save digital copies. . .
Old 08-07-2023, 07:32 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 423 Posts

You paid up front to receive a lifetime subscription that you won't realize any savings unless you live over 25 years?
I like your confidence!
Old 08-07-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:

What do you think?
I think you’re getting ripped off. Sorry.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:35 AM
Platinum member

PT Barnum was right
Old 08-08-2023, 03:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

not worth the effort to be fighting it for $5 a year
take a deep breath and forget about fighting
either pay up or let it go
Old 08-08-2023, 05:39 AM
Veteran member

AAII is a nonprofit organization. Consider it a donation.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Platinum member

Why do you need magazines? By the time they print it, mail it, it gets delivered to your home, and you read it - it’s ancient history. Every bit of up to the second financial data you are interested in is just a key stroke away.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
not worth the effort to be fighting it for $5 a year
take a deep breath and forget about fighting
either pay up or let it go
I do understand the OP. Ben Franklin said watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves. I expect they are just tired of it. You commit to something, a contract and they decide to change the deal after BOTH parties agreed to the deal.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
AAII is a nonprofit organization. Consider it a donation.
I'm not familiar with AAll but for many organizations nonprofit is just a way to avoid taxes. Assuming it is a nonprofit corporation you can find out how much executives are paid etc.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:59 PM

The first thing to do is to call them and explain why you should not have to pay.

I purchased a TMobile plan a few years ago that promised no price increases. Eventually they wanted to charge me for one of my free benefits included in the plan. I called them. They agreed not to charge me and the problem was solved. It’s worth a try.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
This is a joke, right? $5????

Maybe start a go fund me page
GE......the OP is talking about no money but I get it. It is the PRINCIPLE. OP paid for a lifetime subscription for a one time fee. The company is reneging on the deal. Don't offer a "Lifetime" subscription for a one time payment and not factor in inflation. Again.......PRINCIPLE!
Old 08-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,015 Times in 4,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
GE......the OP is talking about no money but I get it. It is the PRINCIPLE. OP paid for a lifetime subscription for a one time fee. The company is reneging on the deal. Don't offer a "Lifetime" subscription for a one time payment and not factor in inflation. Again.......PRINCIPLE!
I get it too. If the OP wants to tilt at windmills over $5 (actually $3 since it is going up to $5 from $2), have at it. But I don't see the need to share it with all of us. I lost more than $3 in time just reading that nonsense.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

If the OP is seriously affected by $5/year, then maybe AAII isn't helping them with good investing strategies very much.
Closed Thread

Tags
print, aaii, receive, pay, yearly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.