Farmers Market?

Old 04-06-2024, 09:01 AM

Every farmers market I've been to is over priced.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:54 AM
Default Farmers Markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
I've been looking for a real farmers market where you can buy locally grown produce, local eggs etc. The one at Sawgrass was disappointing but maybe this country girl is too picky. Havent had much luck with Google.
I agree with you as I am also looking for local farmers market. What i have seen at the farmers market events in TV is produce vendors are getting from the state farmers market in Plant City, FL and then reselling at a higher price. While this is technically from farmers markets what i would like to see is local farms selling their food directly to us from their farms. I have driven around outside the villages and occasionally you will see hand made signs at driveways posting food for sale. This is probably the closest to true local produce you will find it's just hard finding them. It would be great if they would form a co-OP and come together to the squares.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachbelle View Post
I agree with you as I am also looking for local farmers market. What i have seen at the farmers market events in TV is produce vendors are getting from the state farmers market in Plant City, FL and then reselling at a higher price. While this is technically from farmers markets what i would like to see is local farms selling their food directly to us from their farms. I have driven around outside the villages and occasionally you will see hand made signs at driveways posting food for sale. This is probably the closest to true local produce you will find it's just hard finding them. It would be great if they would form a co-OP and come together to the squares.
Reading all the posts will give you some of the farms selling direct.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:18 AM

I think there is one in Bushnell which is a bit out in the country and not as overpriced.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Brown's Market on 301. Oxford---north of 466. Also O-Steen's in Summerfield off 476 (I think). They grow their own produce. It may be a bit of a drive for you but consider it an "adventure" of getting to know your area.
Brown’s sells their own produce whatever is in season and also their own meat. They also have locally baked goods.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
I suspect very few at Brownwood are locally grown by the seller, seems more like they buy the produce, mark it up and sell it at the "farmer's market".
True Story-

Recently, (Outside of TV), I had been going a Farmers Mkt each week in Ocala.

I bought my Brusell sprouts from him, blanched and froze them... impressed that they were small and tender.

The next time I needed brussel Sprouts, I said to the Dunnellon farmer, "Why'd you let them get so big before picking them this time?"

He said, "Those are from Publix"

THAT'S IT FOR ME!!!
Old 04-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Default Try Bountiful Farms, 27314 County Rd 33, Okahumpka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
I've been looking for a real farmers market where you can buy locally grown produce, local eggs etc. The one at Sawgrass was disappointing but maybe this country girl is too picky. Havent had much luck with Google.

Bountiful Farms sells there own produce. On Wednesday there are a variety of vendors there and also a great bistro located under a huge live oak tree (reservations needed). There is also a nursery on the property with beautiful flowers and bushes etc for sale. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:09 AM

There is a nice one in Mt. Dora every Sunday. I'm including a link for you. Then if the mood strikes you could go to one of their many nice restaurants and browse around their pretty little town.

Downtown Mount Dora Village Market - Go Mount Dora
Old 04-06-2024, 11:35 AM

Thank you again for all the recommendations! We did checkout Brownwood this morning and it was a fun looking at the stands. I agree pricey and "fresh perogies" from Illinois seemed like a stretch but did grab some honey and fresh bread...blueberries for 4.50 in a grocery store container did seem odd. Will have to venture out of "the bubble" and check out some of these places y'all mentioned!
Old 04-06-2024, 12:23 PM

Many of the produce vendors at the local “farmer” markets do actually grow their own produce. It is purchased from bigger outlets.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:42 PM

We went to Brownwood today and they all the usual things like tomatoes, broccoli, squash but they also had the French Bakery. Oh my goodness, we got so many goodies! If you go, don’t the long lines deter you and if you don’t buy anything else, buy the macarons!
Old 04-06-2024, 07:53 PM
Location: Georgia, S.C., Pa., West Va.,Tenn, Tx, Fl. Hemingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Brown’s sells their own produce whatever is in season and also their own meat. They also have locally baked goods.
Brown's also have Kringles from Racine Wisconsin.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,241 Times in 2,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
They close down the streets inside Brownwood and set up the booths.
You are referring to the Farmers Market that USED TO BE at Spanish Springs before it was yanked it out from underneath the northern Villagers and moved it to Brownwood.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
We went to Brownwood today and they all the usual things like tomatoes, broccoli, squash but they also had the French Bakery. Oh my goodness, we got so many goodies! If you go, don’t the long lines deter you and if you don’t buy anything else, buy the macarons!
I agree! Yummy!!
Old 04-09-2024, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,213 Times in 471 Posts

Good luck with tomatoes, they are bred to have a long shelf life and have sacrificed flavor. It does not seem to matter where you buy them. The cost of everything has gone up a great deal in the last few years. Browns is nice but very pricey and pretty far away. I support the farmers market in Brownwood. By the way, I had occasion to go to the farmers market in Winter Garden because my son lives out near there and the stuff from Plant City is terrific, but too far away to frequent.

Tags
farmers, market, sawgrass, disappointing, country

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.