FENCING

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: FENCING

Isn't the purpose of the regulation the important part?* What is the purpose of the fence prohibition?* Probably for aesthetic reasons, because fences can look excessively varied and become ill-maintained after a few years as well as block views if they are over 4' in height.* Why are hedges allowed?* Because they are natural and complement the environment if maintained at less than 4' in height.*

A 4' hedge is allowed because it does not block most views - it is a reasonable height that most people can still see across.

So, if the purpose of the fence prohibition is being satisfied, and a property owner enhances the functionality of a hedge by "hiding" a mesh within in it (not in the circumventing sense but in the considerate, aesthetic sense) then why is this a problem for anyone?* A great thing about code enforcement administration is when folks have an appreciation for the purpose of a particular code they can be reasonable and rational in its' implementation to the benefit of all.

There are some situations, for example in the 10' x 15' nook in the backyard on the side of the protruding lanai, up against the house where the placement of such hedge/mesh configuration wouldn't block any views, would totally blend with the landscape but could serve a function of containing a little dog for brief periods of time.* Of course, you'll notice to the left I have a "special interest" in doing this sort of thing. ;D

I certainly have no interest in a hedge around the entire perimeter of the back yard...too much maintenance.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

You are allowed to plant hedges around your property as long as they do not exceed 4 feet in height. I have seen very nice creative landscaping that has been used as a screen to block the neighbors from seeing inside someones home as well as a natural fence. It is attractive and adds to the appearance of the house. Drive around you will see this being done in neighborhoods with Premiere Homes,Designer Homes,Ranch Homes and Patio Villas. If you live in a Courtyard Villa it shouldn't really effect you. As long as the homeowners abide by the rules there shouldn't be any complaints.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Onl courtyard villas have full fencing. Patio villas fencing is just for show, it is not completely around the property.

Yes, anytime you want to plant somethng or remove something in your landscaping, you have to get approval from the architectural committee. There are forms on the Villages web site for this approval.

You cannot do anything in courtyard villas that will change the "look" of the home. We can't have any lawn ornaments or cute garden figurines or chairs, etc. This rule about courtyard villas is only in the last few years. Over on the historic side, you will see the reason why no ornaments. Some homes have deer, lions, the old jockey, etc. on the front lawn. Doesn't do much to upgrade the property.

Fences, if they are not exactly the same, can make property look tacky and I am sure this is one of the reasons the developer has this in the covenants.

If you feel you must have a fence, as we did, then courtyard villa is the best for you.

I have seen some beautiful landscaping along Tall Trees Lane that actually makes a natural fence between homes and some behind the lanai's but have never seen landscaping totally around any home.

Good luck to you in your search. Our dog made our decision easy. She has always had yard and we bought a corner yard, courtyard villa so we have a complete yard with fencing all around.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Why is it that intelligent, educated and normally wise people sign legal documents agreeing they have read and understand what they're signing, yet haven't read or tried to understand what the papers say? Then they spend time and energy trying to circumvent what they've legally agreed to. What a waste! Wouldn't it be wiser to use that time and energy to have fun and enjoy each day?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:19 PM

Amen Mike or they can review the documents and make a firm decision if the Villages is right for them.

Bet the Villages are glad when folks buy on impluse.....Welcome to the world of the Villages.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle
You are allowed to plant hedges around your property as long as they do not exceed 4 feet in height. I have seen very nice creative landscaping that has been used as a screen to block the neighbors from seeing inside someones home as well as a natural fence. It is attractive and adds to the appearance of the house. Drive around you will see this being done in neighborhoods with Premiere Homes, Designer Homes, Ranch Homes, and Patio Villas.
This is a rational and intelligent interpretation. The intent is satisfied with a good result.

An example of a rule or law that could be overinterpreted is the double line in the center of a road which we all know means "no passing." Does it mean "no passing", ever, in any conceivable circumstance? No. As I am told by reasonable law enforcement folks in my community, if you are behind a stopped garbage truck or mail vehicle, you can certainly pass if you can do so safely. Safety is the purpose of that law. 100% literal compliance in every instance is innane. It is reasonable to apply the same logic to other rules. If the purpose is respected and a good result is achieved, a literal, absolutist interpretation isn't always appropriate.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H
Why is it that intelligent, educated and normally wise people sign legal documents agreeing they have read and understand what they're signing, yet haven't read or tried to understand what the papers say? Then they spend time and energy trying to circumvent what they've legally agreed to. What a waste! Wouldn't it be wiser to use that time and energy to have fun and enjoy each day? It was just a question no one was trying to circumvent anything :

Did you ever stop and think (DA) that when the person bought the house a while ago they didn't have a dog and at that time they didn't even care about fencing THERES ALWYAYS
ONE IN EVERY CROUD
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 AM
beartrack1

I asked about the possibility of a hedge for two reasons. First, I like privacy around my lanai and/or patio and secondly because I like the look of a neatly trimmed hedge. I was not thinking of my dog. We enjoy taking her for a walk and she looks forward to going. Leaving her alone in a fenced yard? I don't see any joy in that and I certainly would not let it determine what kind of home I wish to live in. When I asked my real estate rep. If I could have a hedge around my yard she said "as long as you keep it neat and do not let it grow over four feet tall, it is allowed" We will continue our search for the right designer home with a yard and before we sign the papers, we will make sure that the hedge we have in mind is legal and proper. We hope that it will be but, If not, I'm sure that we will enjoy living in TV with or without a hedge. Gotta go now, time for me and Rockee to take our before bedtime walk.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Ditto...before I commit to a new home based on something that I would like to do with it that is "innovative" or which someone might question (possibly out of excessive literalness) I will make sure my plans are put in writing and approved by the appropriate TV officials. This is something we should all do before we buy. It's a good way to avoid disappointment or hitting our head against the wall when we move in. At this stage in our lives why run uphill?

This is one of the reasons why I like the Villages concept over a "volunteer homeowners association": ...professional management, not driven by personalities resulting in quirky or inconsistent interpretations of the rules.

By the way, whether I was in a Courtyard Villa, or a Ranch with a little hedged courtyard, Shelby (the critter to the left) would not be "left alone in the yard" except for 5 to 10 minute periods while she sniffs around and does her business. Her daily walks are a treat for both of us. 040 <---Shelby when I ask "Do you wanna go for a walk?"
Old 01-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Platinum member

Mrs "F" said we WILL have an underground fence. There will be days when she will not let me out of the yard regradless if the fish are calling. How some things never change. :'(
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM

So it's OK to have a 4' Hedge, but not a 4' fence. :dontknow:
Old 01-14-2008, 01:52 PM
beartrack1

And double "DITTOS" to you gfmucci. :beer2:

Rockee (Rocksanne) is a Bichon and would love to meet Shelby.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

Why is it that some people will always try to find a way around rules. The rules are designed to protect everyone and to preserve the looks of TV. Look this is pretty simple, one if you really want privacy then purchase a villa, two if you do not want a villa and you still want privacy then do not move to TV.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetterlund
Why is it that some people will always try to find a way around rules. The rules are designed to protect everyone and to preserve the looks of TV. Look this is pretty simple, one if you really want privacy then purchase a villa, two if you do not want a villa and you still want privacy then do not move to TV. All i did was ask a question thats all and so many of you are making it to be more then just that IT was just a question
NO where was privacy even mentioned
Why is it that some people can twist the simplest things
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

Please check the posting by beartrack an you will find the work privacy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.