Attn. Talk Host, et al

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Attn. Talk Host, et al

I would research this but I don't have time to do it today, and I wanted to get it out there before I forget about it.

Yesterday on the Today Show (I think it was.) there was a thing about retirees earning money at home to supplement income. It wasn't the usual scamarama stuff. It had to do with web sites and advertising by connecting with Google. There was a guy who was a handyman and a woman who knew a lot about digital photogragy. They started blogs and one of them was picking up an extra $20,000 a year connected through Google ads.

The last time I checked TV did not own Google.

This may be worth TOTV checking into further. It may be in the Today Show archives from yesterday. I checked quickly but did not have time to do a real search.

Oh no, Talk Host. I did not try to (gently) beat you up today, but I am guilty of giving you a homework assignment.

I'm outa here -- for now.

BB
Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Founder
Default Re: Attn. Talk Host, et al

Google ad words is very complicated and can be very expensive. It so happens we know how to use Google ad words and it would be of no benefit to us here at TOTV. In a nutshell, the way it works is you bid on selected "key words or phrases." For example, "The Villages." We would pay every time somebody clicks on our ad whether or not they ever come to TOTV.

It is likely that the developer is paying a very high bid for people to click through with that phrase, say $1.50 per click. If 1,000 people a day click through, thats $1,500 per day. If we bid .20 per click, we would be about 50th down the row of ads. If 1,000 people clicked a day on us, that would be $200 per day. We can't justify that cost.

Google ad words and its cousin Yahoo Ad Sense are not beneficial for us.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Have you checked with amazon.com? I know of a couple of sites who get like $0.05-$0.15 for each purchase made through a site link. This might be very feasible for you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Sage

I think we are talking about two separate issues here:

1. Use Google Ad words (this are the listings that appear on the right hand side of a Google search return page) to promote the site. This doesn't seem to be a good alternative for TOTV since the ROI would be small or more likely negative. In my current business we have tried to use Google Ad words for some marketing campaigns and we had NO success.

2. I do know many people who use Google Ad words to refer searchers to various sites. In fact i know one software developer who used to work for me who is making high six figures a year by doing this. But this is not for the faint of heart. Google ad words can be expensive and most people who try it don't have a big enough bank roll to let the bad times pass over them.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
Google ad words is very complicated and can be very expensive.
No Jan. Google puts ads on TOTV site and pays you by the click (instead of the square inch like you sell now).

Skip
Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
No Jan. Google puts ads on TOTV site and pays you by the click (instead of the square inch like you sell now).

Skip
Check the bottom of the page. Google ads have been there since we signed on the air.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
Check the bottom of the page. Google ads have been there since we signed on the air.
Never noticed them 'til now. Sorry. (The home page is a little busy.)

Skip
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.