Florida Oks use of radioactive waste to pave roads

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2023, 12:35 PM
Default Florida Oks use of radioactive waste to pave roads

DeSantis signs bill allowing new roads to be built with mining waste linked to cancer | The Hill

What will they think of next?
Old 06-30-2023, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Of course the contractor who "wins" the bid to do the job will be charging extra for the hazardous duty work. All courtesy of the taxpayers.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,090 Times in 4,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer View Post
But if the roads glow in the dark, it will be quite a savings on electricity for street lights
Old 06-30-2023, 01:04 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,788 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Personally I try to follow the Paul Harvey method of examination BEFORE I come to a final conclusion. The headline states the Governor signs..... true, but, what does that really mean ? The bill was put before him by "we the people" through making our desires KNOWN to our elected representatives.... the process in a democratic republic. A governor, a president, can't control the process. That's point #1. Point #2 would be, has this "hazardous" risk been evaluated and found to be as low a level as, for instance, the airport and courthouse security we pass through daily ? The cell phone and microwave radiation we keep in our house or pocket 365 days a year ? The low dose radiation we get from our granite counter tops that is a natural occurrence ? This is what is upsetting about "media", headlines, and even posts of social chat sites like this: is this post meant to ALARM other villagers, without giving factual support to the supposition that this is a significant happening ? Does anyone know if the actual crushed rock used NOW in highway construction contains none of the natural radiation like tiles, granite counter tops, flag stone patios, etc. do ? If I knew all the answers and percentages for all of these things, I'd be better prepared to react to this post... and perhaps, be angry at our state legislators who did this. But, there is a LOT, I am sure, of the "rest of the story", so for now, not going to let my emotions (which are naturally cautious about these things) overcome my ability to analyze based on facts. At present, I am more concerned that our way of disposing of everything here in the Villages and surrounding area, by burning everything from plastics to house hold batteries, to who knows what else (don't think each bag is inspected before being put into the giant incinerator) ? Not sure "scrubbers" actually remove all carcinogens ? Another thought that came to mind, is the hazardous material approved for paving more, or less, dangerous than the utility meters attached to our homes, and the fire and carbon monoxide alarms in nearly every room ? Again, that's rhetorical, don't know all the answers to those questions. But, how many people will read that headline and think, "oh that horrible horrible evil man (a governor of any state), when it's actually "we the people" whose representatives proposed this because it was the majority of the people who want this ! Any governor of any state could be personally violently opposed to this, or any other bill, but thankfully that is not how our form was government works !
Old 06-30-2023, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Personally I try to follow the Paul Harvey method of examination BEFORE I come to a final conclusion. The headline states the Governor signs..... true, but, what does that really mean ? The bill was put before him by "we the people" through making our desires KNOWN to our elected representatives.... the process in a democratic republic. A governor, a president, can't control the process. That's point #1. Point #2 would be, has this "hazardous" risk been evaluated and found to be as low a level as, for instance, the airport and courthouse security we pass through daily ? The cell phone and microwave radiation we keep in our house or pocket 365 days a year ? The low dose radiation we get from our granite counter tops that is a natural occurrence ? This is what is upsetting about "media", headlines, and even posts of social chat sites like this: is this post meant to ALARM other villagers, without giving factual support to the supposition that this is a significant happening ? Does anyone know if the actual crushed rock used NOW in highway construction contains none of the natural radiation like tiles, granite counter tops, flag stone patios, etc. do ? If I knew all the answers and percentages for all of these things, I'd be better prepared to react to this post... and perhaps, be angry at our state legislators who did this. But, there is a LOT, I am sure, of the "rest of the story", so for now, not going to let my emotions (which are naturally cautious about these things) overcome my ability to analyze based on facts. At present, I am more concerned that our way of disposing of everything here in the Villages and surrounding area, by burning everything from plastics to house hold batteries, to who knows what else (don't think each bag is inspected before being put into the giant incinerator) ? Not sure "scrubbers" actually remove all carcinogens ? Another thought that came to mind, is the hazardous material approved for paving more, or less, dangerous than the utility meters attached to our homes, and the fire and carbon monoxide alarms in nearly every room ? Again, that's rhetorical, don't know all the answers to those questions. But, how many people will read that headline and think, "oh that horrible horrible evil man (a governor of any state), when it's actually "we the people" whose representatives proposed this because it was the majority of the people who want this ! Any governor of any state could be personally violently opposed to this, or any other bill, but thankfully that is not how our form was government works !
Right on point! Ever notice how any law that a certain group opposes is automatically referred to in the media and by acolytes as "the chief executive's" as if he unilaterally wrote it, passed it and signed it, but those that the same group is in favor of is reported as "the will of the people"
Old 06-30-2023, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,289 Times in 2,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But if the roads glow in the dark, it will be quite a savings on electricity for street lights
And the EV owners are hoping the road will somehow charge their vehicles for free while driving.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:59 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,911 Times in 3,715 Posts

Quote:
What will they think of next?
Drinking urine...........oh wait, Astronauts are doing that.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,428 Posts

DeSantis, a 2024 GOP presidential candidate, hasn’t commented. Tampa-based fertilizer giant Mosaic, which pushed the legislation, is seeking federal approval to test phosphogypsum, which the Tampa Bay Times noted “could pave the way — literally — for phosphogypsum use in American roads.”

Follow the money…………….
Old 06-30-2023, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
DeSantis, a 2024 GOP presidential candidate, hasn’t commented. Tampa-based fertilizer giant Mosaic, which pushed the legislation, is seeking federal approval to test phosphogypsum, which the Tampa Bay Times noted “could pave the way — literally — for phosphogypsum use in American roads.”

Follow the money…………….
But, but....

Didn't you read the end of post #4? It's "we the people" who wanted this. We voted for our representatives and they vote for what they know the majority of us want. The Gov simply went along with what he knew we wanted.

It would be interesting to see the science on this. Just how much radiation will be added to what we are already exposed to.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,003 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Not that easy “ The bill was put before him (legislature) by "we the people" through making our desires KNOWN to our elected representatives....”
The producer Mosaic lobbied the state legislature to incorporate an unsaleable waste product in a building material but I guess you can say corporations are people too.

Last edited by Keefelane66; 06-30-2023 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Add
Old 06-30-2023, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Not that easy “ The bill was put before him (legislature) by "we the people" through making our desires KNOWN to our elected representatives....”
The producer Mosaic lobbied the state legislature to incorporate an unsaleable waste product in a building material but I guess you can say corporations are people too.
To the tune of providing a $25,000 fund raiser for those who supported the bill, we the people…balderdash!
Old 06-30-2023, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
To the tune of providing a $25,000 fund raiser for those who supported the bill, we the people…balderdash!
And he's the only person running fundraisers??????
Old 06-30-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Never let pesky facts get in the way of bashing the governor. Come on man!
Old 06-30-2023, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And he's the only person running fundraisers??????
Oh, are there more paying for the bills passage?
Old 06-30-2023, 04:22 PM
Sage

I’m guessing this thread is on borrowed time.

Tags
florida, oks, radioactive, waste, pave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.