Forward mail with temporary address change or Premium Service

Old 02-22-2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village_daughter View Post
Hello! I need mail sent to Illinois from The Villages for a couple of months. I see two options: 1) Temporary address change (which is free!) or 2) Premium Service (which is $24/week).

Can anyone tell me the benefit of the Premium Service? Are there things that won't send via the free forwarding? Does the Temporary Address change necessary for the free service cause other headaches? Thanks in advance for your help!
We have found the Premium Forwarding to be more reliable. Rather than mail trickling in one piece at a time (and wondering if they got it all, which was our main issue), every Wednesday, your mail for the week is put into a priority mail envelope and mailed in a batch. You get an email notification so you can then track that envelope and know when it is arriving. Not cheap, but gave us some peace of mind. We found that the post office was less likely to “miss” pieces with the Premium. Just be sure to time your stop date appropriately.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:22 AM

About 10 days
Old 02-22-2024, 07:29 AM
Default Mail forwarding

I've done the free, actually $1 fee, in both directions(Pa to and from FL) for 14 years with no problems. There is a 7-10 day delay and it's for first class mail only.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,569 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropnrose View Post
Whatever you decide on, sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. You'll get a daily email, with photos of each piece of mail that you receive. I save the emails with important mail (1099's, etc.), for tracking purposes if it doesn't arrive. Once it arrives, I delete the email.
I get that email and it isn’t accurate everyday. Don’t rely on it. Put everything on auto pay and give a temp address change to other things. I’ve dont it with no issues
Old 02-22-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Hello! I need mail sent to Illinois from The Villages for a couple of months. I see two options: 1) Temporary address change (which is free!) or 2) Premium Service (which is $24/week).

Can anyone tell me the benefit of the Premium Service? Are there things that won't send via the free forwarding? Does the Temporary Address change necessary for the free service cause other headaches? Thanks in advance for your help!
IF a you have a friend here. Give then the key. The can sort the mail and send it to you every two weeks. Much cheaper option and no junk. Take them to dinner when you return
Old 02-22-2024, 08:16 AM
Default Forward Mail

Quote:

We forwarded our mail for over 6 years the best way is to start forwarding 1 week ahead of you leaving. And remember it will take about 10 days to get to the forwarded address.
Then stop the mail about 10 days before you return, it takes that long for mail to completely get to temporary address.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
In addition to all the answers above the post office allows the option to mail preview (or informed delivery) so they take pictures of your mail and email it to you (one email) at the beginning of each day so you can prepare for what needs thrown out, LOL
I’ve discovered that when you forward your mail, they don’t scan it into informed delivery.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:28 AM

I use the temporary address change and have informed delivery so I know what to expect. Been working great for over 5 years, two times away 2 to 3 months.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:28 AM
Default Mail

We use temporary for years
Old 02-22-2024, 08:38 AM

We started using the premium forwarding service after some of our mail that was supposed to get forwarded never did. And I agree, it is costly.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:44 AM

This is my 4th season of mail forwarding, Pa to Fl. In the past it took about 7-14 days to receive, this year is the worst & the postal service confirmed yesterday that nationwide is about a month behind. When you forward it no longer goes to your local PO it goes to a regional center then they forward. I have not received a monthly statement for December, sent in early Jan.
So, I will be stopping a month before I return. PO says they agree.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
We'll be heading back to Indiana in May after our first winter here. We're having our mail forwarded here. About how long before you go back north do you stop the forwarding? Thanks!!
I start forwarding my mail 3 or 4 days before I am leaving. Has worked fine for me.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
We'll be heading back to Indiana in May after our first winter here. We're having our mail forwarded here. About how long before you go back north do you stop the forwarding? Thanks!!
Postal service says give them two weeks to start getting your mail to you. If it goes longer they say give them a call. You can go into the system now and set the date you want it to stop. You can also set the end date while in the system setting the start date. We found the service to be unreliable so we don’t use it anymore
Old 02-22-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I always do temporary change of address and never have a problem
Old 02-22-2024, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

If you are going to a temporary address, like a vacation rental or an AirB&B, do not forward mail. The credit bureaus will put that address in your credit record, and you will never be rid of it. Never, not in at least ten years.

Tags
service, free, temporary, address, change

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.