Friendliest Town?

Old 05-08-2024, 02:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I don’t blame the OP for being angry, if that happened to my wife I would be on the hunt for the idiot as well. But I also agree with others, don’t paint the Villages with a broad brush because of one incident. There are jerks everywhere in this world. Unfortunately, I have been up north for about a month now since spending over three wonderful months in the Villages this winter. I easily have come across more aholes in a short period up north than I did over the entire winter. It’s all relative.
Nobody is immune. Even in a bubble!

Old 05-08-2024, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Maybe this will make the OP feel better.
Just this morning I was futzing around in the driveway, getting things in order for my snowbird departure.
A neighbor, 5 doors down, whom I had never met pulls up in his golf cart and says "I noticed you couldn't get to the top of your holly bush when you and your wife were trimming. I have an 8-foot ladder. Would you like to borrow it?"

Sure, so we go back to his place, get the ladder, set it up and he looks at me and says "are you comfortable with ladders?" I said "not totally but I have never fallen off one, yet", so he says "here, I'll do it. I've spent most of my life on ladders", so he proceeds to trim the top of the holly bush for me.

My neighbor's name is Larry. He's a nice man. For every jerk like the guy in the OP, there are dozens and dozens of Larrys in TV.

Take a few deep breaths, and be thankful to live here, with all of the Larrys.
Once in awhile you’ll come across something very nice,
like this on TOTV!

Old 05-09-2024, 04:28 AM

People from every where are cutting through The Villages. With all the growth with houses and apartments near Trailwinds and Pinellas, they are using the streets in The Villages. Many have no idea on how to use the circles. It will only get worse with all of the continued growth in Wildwood.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:51 AM

///

Last edited by Remembergoldenrule; 05-09-2024 at 07:56 AM.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:52 AM

Just be thankful you are not jerk’s wife. You can take deep breath and move on to have a great day. She probably can’t. Say a prayer for both of them to find some happiness in this world. They both seem to be unhappy people.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Title of “friendliest hometown” or lack of makes me wonder.

when TV was first built was there an interview process before one could buy to make sure every resident had the same attitude, upbringing to be only nice, or was there something pumped into the air to make everyone see rainbows and lollipops (or koolaide)?

We find most people anywhere we have lived to be happy to help, or offer a smile even when your day just sucks. But I have never expected every person to be friendly, or expect them to make my day better.

Even here one finds if you offer help such as to a handicapped person, they are either happy to accept or yell at you for thinking they need your help. Does that make them friendly or unfriendly, not really. Does one stop offering because of a rejection, No.

Because my grandma would “Slap me all the way to next Tuesday” if I didn’t offer, cause that’s the way some are raised.

But not everyone is going to be that person, and I don’t expect them to.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Title of “friendliest hometown” or lack of makes me wonder.

when TV was first built was there an interview process before one could buy to make sure every resident had the same attitude, upbringing to be only nice, or was there something pumped into the air to make everyone see rainbows and lollipops (or koolaide)?

We find most people anywhere we have lived to be happy to help, or offer a smile even when your day just sucks. But I have never expected every person to be friendly, or expect them to make my day better.

Even here one finds if you offer help such as to a handicapped person, they are either happy to accept or yell at you for thinking they need your help. Does that make them friendly or unfriendly, not really. Does one stop offering because of a rejection, No.

Because my grandma would “Slap me all the way to next Tuesday” if I didn’t offer, cause that’s the way some are raised.

But not everyone is going to be that person, and I don’t expect them to.
You mention ‘interview process’ ‘same attitude’ ‘ koolaide’........I thought for a second you were talking about Jim Jones and Jonestown Guyana! Phew!

Old 05-09-2024, 05:43 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. I would have been shaken up by this incident as well. There’s rudeness, and then there’s a violent threat. The latter happened, and that’s scary, but good the situation didn’t escalate. Also, unfortunately you never know who’s carrying a weapon. With that guy, wouldn’t want to find out.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:18 AM

I must be getting melllow as I age…I’d reverse & let him go first. It’s not worth the hassle; I have a few minutes to spare & he’s obviously acting oddly. Starting that way, it would only escalate.
(Why the comment about Northeasterners ? I could escalate that. 😁)

Old 05-09-2024, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,904 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remembergoldenrule View Post
How do you delete your comment. I click edi/ delete but it will only let me edit. Please pm me answer. Thanks.
You cannot delete a Post. But you can remove all characters, and then add "///" , which is the way most people do it to indicate that they want to delete the Post. All Posts must have at least 3 characters.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchie View Post
I must be getting melllow as I age…I’d reverse & let him go first. It’s not worth the hassle; I have a few minutes to spare & he’s obviously acting oddly. Starting that way, it would only escalate.
(Why the comment about Northeasterners ? I could escalate that. 😁)
Its a throw away line when one has nothing else of substance to add to a topic. I will say that 'Northerner' is pretty subjective. Since there is minimal geography between TV and the Gulf to the south...just about anyone north of The Villages would be a northerner by definition. I'll go on to say if this region didn't have 'Northerners' investing in and residing here....it would still be Mr Schwartz' trailer park!

Old 05-09-2024, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So the jerk was wrong on 2 counts. Don't judge Villagers by one moron. (Or those from the Northeast either)
Maybe, but not sure we have entire story. From what I understand the “jerk “ was behind the parked car. So why did wife stop when she had the right away. If this is an accurate picture then she was blocking the road for no reason.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 AM

In most cases, the standoff would have been both cars backing up and each waving the other on to go first and then waving and smiling as they passed each other. The pickup driver was an outlier.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Well said.

Some time back a lady (not a Villager) was visiting our neighbor across the street. Came time to leave, her car, which was in the neighbor's driveway, wouldn't start: just enough energy in the battery for a couple of groans and then just clicking. I was out doing yard work and noticing her plight, offered to help. She was pretty worked up, planning on calling a road service to get her car towed to wherever it could be fixed. Being an ex-Minnesotan I never go anywhere without a pair of jumper cables, so I offered to jump her car and at least get it running. I had to manually push it out of the driveway onto the street (lady steered with the dead car in neutral) but once the cables were on it started right up. As she was not from around here I recommended a repair shop where I take our car, cautioning her not to turn the car off until she got there. She did, got her battery replaced, and all was well.

The point is that similar things are the norm in TV rather than the exception. Sure, there are always exceptions, but Villagers helping Villagers (and non-Villagers) are common occurrences.
In my opinion this post is excellent and I think, just maybe, that is why the obnoxious people who either move, visit, or work in TV show up like a sore thumb. Right now they are the minority, lets hope they stay that way.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:27 AM

How do you know they were Villages? They could have been from anywhere. Especially from some big northern city where they don't drive very often and still have their big city privilege card.

Tags
wife, car, guy, fing, shaken

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.