Friendliest Town, until

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
What is this no pee in lake sumter.........is this a funny?????
I always laugh when Gracie reminds us that it's Sumter, not Sum"p"ter.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,559 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

AND a tee shirt that says

"There isn't a kid in the world that's cute after eight o'clock at night."

P.S. I LOVE kids.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Saving seats is selfish, but honest. In my opinion, folks from the northeast tend to move fast, talk fast, talk loud and swear more than other areas of the country.

Also, in my opinion, I like that attitude because I find it HONEST AND TO THE POINT, not rude. Folks down south tend to gentle up all the above, but in find that sometimes to be acting and not honest.

If you don't lie, cheat or steal from me you can use any attitude you like.
Ummm, in the South, we call it good manners. We call it, having class. We call it, doin' what my Mama taught me! :-)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it is a long-standing TOTV quip, coined by Gracie, I believe. A lot of people new to TV will spell "Sumter" as "Sumpter" when they first join TOTV.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Ummm, in the South, we call it good manners. We call it, having class. We call it, doin' what my Mama taught me! :-)

That is what we call it in Ohio. We try to take after the British who are polite to you right up to the second before they kill you.

It is an ingrained fear that some nice smelling female person larger than you is going to drag you into a public restroom and smack your fanny and say "ACT like a lady!"

Both of our daughters say that every time they enter a public restroom they feel like something bad is going to happen to them.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is what we call it in Ohio. We try to take after the British who are polite to you right up to the second before they kill you.

It is an ingrained fear that some nice smelling female person larger than you is going to drag you into a public restroom and smack your fanny and say "ACT like a lady!"

Both of our daughters say that every time they enter a public restroom they feel like something bad is going to happen to them.
This made me smile.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I agree, I have a southern gentile wife. She does it for all your reasons. I am referring to those that do that to your face and not when your out of site. I prefer honesty over FAKE I love you comments.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:

A lot of people spell it incorrectly ... SumPter
Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Sage

I am willing to bet an ice-cold Yeungling there will be plenty of chairs being marked as "saved" at Spanish Springs this afternoon. Scooter The DJ is performing at 5 and he definitely is a Villages favorite. Better get there early and bringing your own chair is a great idea, too.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Sage

We are taught to not act impulsively. We are taught to respond diplomatically. Some people can tell you to go to hell and make you look forward to the trip. I understand about being honest, but sometimes people say things that make people angry. They may not THINK that is what they are doing but others see it that way. So the responses are not quite honest, like..."Please shut up." They may be to change the subject, or try to explain without making it into a huge heated debate.

I think the problem lies with any of us believing that their way of looking at things is the right way, and trying to change someone else's mind...which is probably not going to happen.

It is trying to put yourself in another's shoes and after several rejections of our ideas, being mature enough to drop the subject. Some people can accept the fact that agreement is not possible and go on without feeling the person who debates them dislikes them personally. I think several posters have this ability. I try to do this and think this and fail regularly. We are all sensitive people. And we all have things that we believe that are dear to us.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.