Fruit Trees in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Fruit Trees in TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
I planted eight citrus trees, one fig and three papaya. The citrus and fig are fine. The papaya looks very wilted.
Whoever told you that you could grow papaya up here is counting your money and snickering.

Figs should be just finishing their fruiting now.

Skip
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Gold member

Skip, thank you. I guess next year when the tree is in bloom I shall play Mother Bee with a piece of cotton.

Thank you for the knowledge.

I like fresh figs, never thought to plant a tree.

HB
Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Sage

Skip, my neighbor gave me three seedlings she grew from pits. Hers have done well.
All they cost me was a few minutes to put them in the ground. I think it's a pretty plant but I'm not crazy about the fruit.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Gold member

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Just found the info you requested.

There are no annual contracts for weeding - cost is $10 per month

Pest control is $20 per month

Pruning, trimming and clean up is billed at $40 per hour, but you are charged in 15 minute increments.

Fertilizer application is based on actual quantities used.

They all sell trees and plants. I found the cost of there plants lower than in some of the nurseries I visited while in TV.

Fernview Farm - Sandra and James Harrison
352 245 7905 email fernviewnursery@aol.com

Like I said, I was extremely impressed with her, They will be doing our lawn care while we are away.

Hope this helps.

HB
Old 04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Gold member

From the lemon tree that the previous owners told us when we first looked at the house in October was not bearing fruit this year for the first time (and we just took his word for it and didn't go looking), when we returned after being away for the month of January we discovered about a dozen or more beautiful lemons on the tree! Apparently they were green and hidden in the foliage in October. Our orange tree did about the same. In March we noticed both trees filled with flowers, so notwithstanding what we lose to birds, we hope for yet another good crop and are wondering if these trees are ever-bearing if we're getting two crops so close together.

We're in Village of Belvedere south of CR-466, and we have been told for sure (1) no fruit trees in front of the house and (2) no veggie garden ANYWHERE other than what can be grown in pots. I'm not sure if planting fruit trees requires approval from the Architectural Review Committee....
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Gold member

Sidney, I can't speak for the AR committee, but the fruit trees...we had just about every fruit tree common to the U.S. in our backyard in the Bay Area, CA. including all the citrus'.

They all bloomed and produced every year. Citrus in my experience produce wonderful smelling flowers in the spring which develope into the fruit by winter. If the baby fruit falls off you need to adjust the soil composition around it.

The problem experienced by the former owner with the citrus trees you have, my guess, is that they were not old enough yet. They usually don't bear fruit for the first 2-3 years. They have to grow up just like us.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Veteran member

We northerners really love the idea of having citrus trees. But my son-in-law, a native Floridian, keeps telling me not to do it. He says that in just a few years you have more fruit than you can handle and the oranges fall to the ground -- attracting bugs -- who attract little critters -- who attract snakes (shudder). Is this true? I think he for sure has my number regarding snakes, but is there any truth in what he says?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 04-23-2008, 01:55 AM
Gold member

another Linda, have no fear. I will take all of your extra fruit, we just bought an electric juicer.

Met one woman who has several orange trees, planted them about 15 years ago, and she has more fruit than she can use. She gives the fruit away to friends and worth while causes. Also sells some and makes some money.

She did not say a word of any of the problems you mentioned.

HB
Old 04-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Gold member

Linda,
Hyacinth's suggestions are valid and useful as always. Another point that I found to be convenient about fruit trees, especially citrus, was that you don't have to eat it all at once.
#1. It doesn't all ripen at the same time.
#2. The treestores it for you for quite a long time...up to a couple months.
#3. Giving away fruit makes you very popular with those who don't have trees.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Sage

Another Linda,

My daughter has 33 fruit trees in her back yard. They are large mature trees that bear large amounts of fruit. In the 8 years she has lived here we have never seen any snakes near or around her fruit trees. We certainly enjoy the wonderful fresh fruit from her trees. There is nothing like it. YUMMMM!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Gold member

Hi all,

My computer needs to be repaired. Will only be on line at odd times, if I can get a computer. Have a great couple of weeks and save some fruit for me. LOL

HB
Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
Linda,
Hyacinth's suggestions are valid and useful as always. Another point that I found to be convenient about fruit trees, especially citrus, was that you don't have to eat it all at once.
#1. It doesn't all ripen at the same time.
#2. The treestores it for you for quite a long time...up to a couple months.
#3. Giving away fruit makes you very popular with those who don't have trees.

I beg to differ on this one. I have two Valencia orange trees. This year we had 291 oranges mature in February AT THE SAME TIME. We picked them and gave some away and used our electric juicer to turn the rest into OJ which we bottled and put into the freezer until we needed it. It still tasted as fresh as the day we froze it.

If you get different types of fruit trees they might mature at different times.

The idea of going out and picking a grapefruit for breakfast is okay if you eat one every day and have friends to give the rest to.

Fruit trees grow fruit. The fruit matures and then they are done until the next year.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

But if they mature when no one is there and the fruit falls to the ground, what about the snakes? Can snakes even get into a masonry-walled courtyard?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 PM

Before you plant a fruit tree, think about how much fruit it bares. Then think about eating all the fruit, and don't think your neighbors are going to want help, they may be pulling the shades when they see you coming. If your a "snow bird" and the fruit falls to the ground it becomes a feast for rodents. Think twice before you plant.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.