Gas lines in the attic in lightning-prone areas

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Gas lines in the attic in lightning-prone areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo
Not an electrician, physicist or any of the above, but I do share your concern. I had the Villages Warranty out this week (Our home is less than a year old). I asked her about how to turn off the gas line and learned indeed that ours too was in the attic. We had a frightening view from our lanai of the home that burned - before we knew it was a home my husband said it looked like a gas line exploded. Hope that we get some answers to your questions.
Maybe that's why TV stopped putting gas in the new houses??????
Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Sage

Fran, there was a class action suit filed that concerned the gas lines in the attics. That was one reason we had the rods installed.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson
Maybe that's why TV stopped putting gas in the new houses??????
I'll bet it was a factor in the decision.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Gold member

We have gas appliances in our house and, at the time we purchased, considered it a plus and never gave it a moment's thought. Rest assured now that we are giving it many moments' thought! Though we've only begun to look into it, I suspect that a properly installed lightning arresting system will not cost more than retrofitting a house to get rid of gas range, water heater, dryer, and furnace and replace all with electric. I could be wrong....
Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Lanier
We have gas appliances in our house and, at the time we purchased, considered it a plus and never gave it a moment's thought. Rest assured now that we are giving it many moments' thought! Though we've only begun to look into it, I suspect that a properly installed lightning arresting system will not cost more than retrofitting a house to get rid of gas range, water heater, dryer, and furnace and replace all with electric. I could be wrong....
Sure makes sense to me, Sid. That's exactly why we chose the lightning arresting system asap which made sense to Bill and me. Our choice has always been gas. We've always had a monitor for leakage, however, now living in the lightning capital puts a whole different slant on the priorities.

I'm still waiting for a contract to sign. They did email me a quote. Think I mentioned that it was something around $1500 and we live in a corner lot Colony Patio Villa. I would assume that would be a standard fee for this model, although they did mention if there a lot of plantings, it could run more. Although on our corner lot we do have more plantings that are not at all near the house; they run alongside the corner of the street side where there's more land.

I gather that that horrible lightning strike gave many to pause and change some priortizing of plans. I also asked TECO if the protectors we have with them will have any bearing on he lightning arrestors. They said not all all; no problem; everything is compatible and not any danger.

Now I'm very anxious to get it done and I guess they have been swamped, no doubt, since the lightning hit and the devestating damage a total loss to that particular home. How very sad. Even worse, it was the third time that very house was hit, or so I hear or read.

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Platinum member

The Villages, Florida

Curious. Will a Home Owners Policy give a discount if you have lightening rods installed?

Or, will they raise rates on TV homes with attic gas lines?

Or do the insurance companies not consider it a problem?
Suffering from TV envy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.