Golf Ball Breaks Window

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If the cost was less than the deductible you would not make a claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
And if you made two claims for $150 each, you might get your insurance canceled, even if you hadl pay it yourself due to deductible.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, I know. It is called trespassing but I do it anyway. In and out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
actually you are not allowed to retrieve it per instructions from the Good Golf School
Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

Living in a home on a golf course, one assumes the house may be hit by golf balls. The golfer has no legal obligation to pay for any damage his errant shot may cause. Good for you if you want to pay, but the assumed liability belongs to the home owner. If the home owner doesn't like it - move.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
Living in a home on a golf course, one assumes the house may be hit by golf balls. The golfer has no legal obligation to pay for any damage his errant shot may cause. Good for you if you want to pay, but the assumed liability belongs to the home owner. If the home owner doesn't like it - move.
Once again, the question was not of legal responsibility but of personal ethical responsibility and what you would teach (or taught) your children or grandchildren in similar situations.

If your answer is still that you would just ignore he broken window and move on without any notification, just say so.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Yes, I know. It is called trespassing but I do it anyway. In and out quickly.
Interesting your juxtaposition of, er, positions. You feel responsible for paying for damage despite the fact that it wasn't intentional, however you don't fee responsible to follow the trespass rules--unless somebody is looking. (If I hit a ball into their yard and their isn't a fence or somebody outside, I will go get it.)
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Hmmm, let see. In one case I would have caused damage with a real financial impact and would be willing to accept responsibility. In the other case I would be walking on their grass, in much the same way the electric and water meters readers walk on the grass, but I wouldn't do it if I was disturbing the owners. It has been my experience that if golf lot owners do not want people retrieving golf balls they will put up a sign. I also jay walk on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Interesting your juxtaposition of, er, positions. You feel responsible for paying for damage despite the fact that it wasn't intentional, however you don't fee responsible to follow the trespass rules--unless somebody is looking. (If I hit a ball into their yard and their isn't a fence or somebody outside, I will go get it.)
Old 01-13-2015, 02:27 PM

If it was your decision to buy a home on the golf course you should expect an ball will hit the house once in a while, no one hits a perfect shot all the time. The damage is the responsibility of the home owner.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Legally not responsible for costs, but demonstrates the degradation of our society. Don't take responsibility for your own actions or misdeeds if you don't have to. A sad commentary !!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Hmmm, let see. In one case I would have caused damage with a real financial impact and would be willing to accept responsibility. In the other case I would be walking on their grass, in much the same way the electric and water meters readers walk on the grass, but I wouldn't do it if I was disturbing the owners. It has been my experience that if golf lot owners do not want people retrieving golf balls they will put up a sign. I also jay walk on occasion.
I would say you demonstrate the best in what should be expected of golfers. Keep up the good job!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Whether the damage was intentional or not has no bearing on whether I would pay for it - I still caused the damage and I pay my bills. From your statement, I will assume you would be a non-payer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Sage

Don't buy a house on a golf course if you can't afford the inherent risks. Do the research and make an informed decision before buying. Your golf course lot will appreciate very well. It was a good investment.

When you sell your house and make a nice profit mail a check to every window breaker who felt obligated to pay.

Don't trespass.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Sage

Interesting concept you should be a responsible person for accidentally breaking someone's window, but you are a bad guy if you also want to retrieve your ball from that same lot that landed there accidentally.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Perhaps it is not my legal obligation to pay for the window but I would feel it my personal obligation to pay. I guess you could also say that if I visit your home and break your Grandmother's Crystal vase I should not offer to replace it. After all it is your responsibility because you knew I was a klutz when you invited me to your home; therefore you knew the inherit risk.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Depends..............If I have to take a stroke, no pay........If there is no penalty stroke, I'll pay.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
I think that given what the The Villages rips people off for a Lot overlooking the course they should replace any damage caused by stray golf balls. Just saying.
Did you get ripped off??

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.