Golf Ball Breaks Window

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 PM
NYGUY NYGUY is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Village of Charlotte
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I take responsibility for my errant behavior, including golf shots, therefore I pay, no questions asked. And, I provide that same advice to all, including my children and grandchildren.
__________________
Don't take life too seriously, it's not like you're going to get out alive!!!
  #32  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:23 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Perhaps it is not my legal obligation to pay for the window but I would feel it my personal obligation to pay. I guess you could also say that if I visit your home and break your Grandmother's Crystal vase I should not offer to replace it. After all it is your responsibility because you knew I was a klutz when you invited me to your home; therefore you knew the inherit risk.
If you are in my house and you break something accidentally i would not consider taking any money. That's not how to treat a friend, not even a klutzy one. It's the same when my kids friends came over. Stuff happens.

Don't buy a house on a golf course expecting people to pay for the risk you took.
  #33  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 2,867
Thanks: 132
Thanked 779 Times in 216 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Legally not responsible for costs, but demonstrates the degradation of our society. Don't take responsibility for your own actions or misdeeds if you don't have to. A sad commentary !!
Probably the same people that the post "A Thief Among Us" is about.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
  #34  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Probably the same people that the post "A Thief Among Us" is about.
I don't see the parallel. Can you explain your point?
  #35  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,022
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,351 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
I think that given what the The Villages rips people off for a Lot overlooking the course they should replace any damage caused by stray golf balls. Just saying.
Well that's silly.....they aren't on the golf course they are on their own property.....and TV Villages didn't rip them off. TV put a price for the property and people bought it.....nobody forced them to buy it, held a gun to their head or any other coercion Why is it that some people won't take responsibility for their own actions.....if I hit a house and cause damage it is my responsibility and my expense.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #36  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:43 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

As to retrieving an out of bounds ball...a utility employee has legal access to utility boxes on your property. The guy who cuts your lawn , fertilizes it etc are invitees by you. Golfers are not invitees they are trespassers and The Villages makes it clear that they refrain from retrieving their ball because of that reason. If a homeowner posts a no trespass sign and golfer ignores it then the owner has a right to make a complaint to the police.

I find it interesting that some golfers hurry from the scene when they recognize that their ball hit a house and move even quicker when they hear glass shatter. Yet they feel every right to retrieve THEIR ball because well its THEIRS.

I also pay particular attention to the tone ( posting reading between the lines) because it comes out well its your fault and not mine because you bought a house on a golf course. I suppose its a tree's fault if this same guy drives his car into a tree?

I live on a championship golf course. This is a rare time when I acknowledge it but I do so to explain that I don't mind if a golfer takes a quick look see to retrieve a ball. I do mind if they dig up my shrubs doing so, hit from my yard and drive their cart on my property and I do mind foul language as it offends my ears.

The OP's question centers on the ethical behaviors. Many homeowner insurance policies cover property of others for such occasions and liability is a non-issue. Its a good will coverage up to $500 in most policies

When playing golf here keep in mind that your view is not only about houses on the golf course it is also about the fact that the people living in those houses are your friends, neighbors or perhaps strangers that you will meet and become further engaged at the town square, MVP rec center etc.
  #37  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM
tuccillo tuccillo is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

In the case where I broke a window and wanted to leave my card so the owners could send me a bill, I would have to trespass across their lawn to leave the card. Presumably this would be OK. However, if I hit the ball 10 feet pass the out-of-bounds markers onto an owner's grass, it would not be OK to walk those 10 feet to retrieve the ball. This is the problem with "don't trespass".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Don't buy a house on a golf course if you can't afford the inherent risks. Do the research and make an informed decision before buying. Your golf course lot will appreciate very well. It was a good investment.

When you sell your house and make a nice profit mail a check to every window breaker who felt obligated to pay.

Don't trespass.
  #38  
Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

When you buy a house you determine it's value based upon the conditions that currently exist. That's why a lot on a golf course that has a very, very low risk of getting hit with a golf ball cost more.

How can a tree be at fault if you hit it with your car? Even if you plant a tree so that it partially blocks your driveway, if you hit it, it's not the trees fault. You decided that was a good place for a tree.

You decided to have a window that faces a golfer.
  #39  
Old 01-13-2015, 04:33 PM
shcisamax shcisamax is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
how can a tree be at fault if you hit it with your car? Even if you plant a tree so that it partially blocks your driveway, if you hit it, it's not the trees fault. You decided that was a good place for a tree.

You are right that it isn't the tree's fault. The problem isn't that you put the tree there. Consider the problem possibly is it is your fault for hitting the tree.

It is an interesting argument actually.
  #40  
Old 01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Sandtrap328's Avatar
Sandtrap328 Sandtrap328 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If you are in my house and you break something accidentally i would not consider taking any money. That's not how to treat a friend, not even a klutzy one. It's the same when my kids friends came over. Stuff happens.

Don't buy a house on a golf course expecting people to pay for the risk you took.
So, you are saying if you are playing golf in a foursome and you slice your ball through someone's window, you will just continue on your way? If someone in your group says it is the ethical standard to go to the homeowner and "man up", you would scoff at that and just continue with your game?
  #41  
Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
You are right that it isn't the tree's fault. The problem isn't that you put the tree there. Consider the problem possibly is it is your fault for hitting the tree.

It is an interesting argument actually.
It is your fault that you hit the tree. It's also your fault for putting it someplace that is easy hit.
  #42  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
tuccillo tuccillo is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

The real issue is whether you make the offer (sincerely) to pay for the damages. The person can refuse to accept but the offer, in my mind, is everything. You made a bad swing (your fault) and you damaged their property so you should pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If you are in my house and you break something accidentally i would not consider taking any money. That's not how to treat a friend, not even a klutzy one. It's the same when my kids friends came over. Stuff happens.

Don't buy a house on a golf course expecting people to pay for the risk you took.
  #43  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

What if your kids were playing ball in the street and they break a window. You have to pay for the window. The person that bought the house wasn't expecting kids to play ball on the streets.

I never broke a window and I have been playing for 50 years, coaching HS golf for over 30 years. Since i have been down here I made 2 hole in ones and I've only been here off and on for 2 1/2 years. I think it's very fair to say it's easier to get a hole in one then to break a window. I play the execs. I can't remember the last time I yelled "fore". In NJ I would yell just about every day. I think TV has things laid out to keep houses and people safe.

I am going to pay closer attention to see how hard it would be to break a window on a Village golf course. I wonder if anybody keeps those kind of statistics, number of broken windows. I would want to know that before I bought a house that comes into play.
  #44  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:33 PM
The20Percent The20Percent is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East TN, Myrtle Beach, The Villages
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I find it telling how many of those that say they would pay for the damage will say nothing more than it's their responsiblity for hitting their ball off course, while the others that do not appear to not want to accept responsiblity for the damage, appear to make different explainations (excuses?) about why they shouldn't have to pay for the damage they caused.

If I scrapped up against someone's car in the parking lot by misjudging my car's parking space, then I would feel responsible and wait for the driver to return or leave a note on their car. I see no difference with hitting my golf ball carelessly, or in the wrong direction and breaking out someone's house window...both these actions have (unintentionally) caused damaged to an innocent person's property and I hold myself morally responsible for my actions. It's a matter of character and my parents and grandparents alike both taught me to have good character. It may not immediately feel good to fess up and pay up, but I feel that if I treat my fellow man the way I would wish to be treated if something like this happened to me, I will never have to doubt my decision, consciously worry, or worse yet be a bad example to those that may wish to emulate me.
  #45  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:44 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
I find it telling how many of those that say they would pay for the damage will say nothing more than it's their responsiblity for hitting their ball off course, while the others that do not appear to not want to accept responsiblity for the damage, appear to make different explainations (excuses?) about why they shouldn't have to pay for the damage they caused.

If I scrapped up against someone's car in the parking lot by misjudging my car's parking space, then I would feel responsible and wait for the driver to return or leave a note on their car. I see no difference with hitting my golf ball carelessly, or in the wrong direction and breaking out someone's house window...both these actions have (unintentionally) caused damaged to an innocent person's property and I hold myself morally responsible for my actions. It's a matter of character and my parents and grandparents alike both taught me to have good character. It may not immediately feel good to fess up and pay up, but I feel that if I treat my fellow man the way I would wish to be treated if something like this happened to me, I will never have to doubt my decision, consciously worry, or worse yet be a bad example to those that may wish to emulate me.
I would agree that if I break something that does not belong to me I will pay to get it fixed. There are exceptions to the rule and one of them is that if you are on a golf course and the course preceded the house the homeowner assumes the risk. I don't know any other exceptions but I do know golf.

How often do you play golf? How many windows have you broken?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.