Golf cart usage

Old 02-27-2024, 08:09 AM
Default Golf cart usage

Just curious how many hours per year people put on their golf carts in TV? We haven't bought one yet, but the question came up in our discussions. Obviously, there are factors that come into play such as is the cart used for golf, are you located near the squares and shopping, etc.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,903 Times in 5,323 Posts

I thought I would buy a cart when I moved here, but I eventually decided to not buy one. Personally, I don't think they are safe when you need to share the road with large vehicles and trucks. Also, many people discover that they are inconvenient and slow for shopping, and decide to use their car instead.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,100 Posts

No golf for us and about 2,200 miles per year. A 15mph avg speed overall would give about 150 hours per year.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 02-27-2024, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

It's nice having the variety of both car and golf cart.

"Variety is the spice of life"

Old 02-27-2024, 08:25 AM
Sage

Approximately 200 hours per year on the gas cart and 150 hours per year on the electric cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Just curious how many hours per year people put on their golf carts in TV? We haven't bought one yet, but the question came up in our discussions. Obviously, there are factors that come into play such as is the cart used for golf, are you located near the squares and shopping, etc.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,242 Times in 2,820 Posts

About 175 hours on my cart and 50 on my wife’s cart. We are at the Villages about 5 1/2 months per year. We almost never use a car while at the Villages.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:42 AM

Since we downsized to only one car, the golf cart serves as our second vehicle. Very handy for getting the mail or going to friends' houses or rec centers. It gets used almost daily.

I suggest number of trips is more important than number of hours.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,511 Posts

Don’t know how many hours but my cart has around 19K miles in 7 years. Still runs like new. I put about 3K year on my car if I don’t go out of state.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
About 175 hours on my cart and 50 on my wife’s cart. We are at the Villages about 5 1/2 months per year. We almost never use a car while at the Villages.
Honestly curious: Do those 175 hours represent time the cart was actually moving or does it include time the cart was waiting for you to make your shot?

I find that my average speed with stop signs, corners, merges, etc turns out to be 15mph. At 175 hours that would be 2,625 miles. If that was traveled in 5 1/2 months it would be something like 110 miles per week or 15 miles per day every day. I like riding in the cart and we use it as much as possible but nothing like an hour a day every day.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 02-27-2024, 09:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I thought I would buy a cart when I moved here, but I eventually decided to not buy one. Personally, I don't think they are safe when you need to share the road with large vehicles and trucks. Also, many people discover that they are inconvenient and slow for shopping, and decide to use their car instead.
Yeah - it's gonna be a personal choice.

For me, golf carts are just fun. I like fun. I want to ride around and explore and have my hair in the wind.

It's like my JetSki.. Sure, it's safer if I take my pontoon boat and then I don't need to worry as much about other boats hitting me, but my JetSki is just fun. I like fun. I want to ride around the lake and TN river and explore and have my hair (I still have a full head!) in the wind.

So, personal choice. Yours works for you, mine works for me. Ain't America great?

Old 02-27-2024, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,903 Times in 5,323 Posts

OP, lots of anecdotal information. But, my non-scientific estimate is that, on a nice day, the number of golf carts parked in a golf cart accessible shopping center, will be about 5 percent or less of the total number of vehicles. I would suggest that you do your own estimate.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

We rent a cart when the family comes to visit, just for the "fun" experience. But we don't golf and most places we visit seem too far and long to go to via cart, so we use the car. And we like it that way. Rent a cart, see how you like it, before buying.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
OP, lots of anecdotal information. But, my non-scientific estimate is that, on a nice day, the number of golf carts parked in a golf cart accessible shopping center, will be about 5 percent or less of the total number of vehicles. I would suggest that you do your own estimate.
Shopping centers - sure.
Rec centers - depends on the event but could be over 50% carts
Squares - Over 50% carts around the square, lower percentage in parking lots but still a significant number

Carts are fun. While I am aware of the cars and trucks around me when I am on a street, I don't feel endangered at all.

I figure I save nearly $200 in fuel and $400 in insurance owning a second cart over owning and using a second car.

But hey, it's not for everyone. No heater and no A/C in the cart. Cart is noisier than the car. Can't carry as many people in the cart. Fewer people in the cart to annoy me. Easier to find a parking spot for the cart.

Renting before buying is a good idea. We essentially did that when we used the cart that was provided as part of the Lifestyle visit.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 02-27-2024, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,242 Times in 2,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Honestly curious: Do those 175 hours represent time the cart was actually moving or does it include time the cart was waiting for you to make your shot?

I find that my average speed with stop signs, corners, merges, etc turns out to be 15mph. At 175 hours that would be 2,625 miles. If that was traveled in 5 1/2 months it would be something like 110 miles per week or 15 miles per day every day. I like riding in the cart and we use it as much as possible but nothing like an hour a day every day.
The hour meter on a gas Yamaha only registers time when the engine is running. About an hour and a half, on average, of daily driving time sounds about correct. Between Executives and Champs, a round about 5 days per week. Back and forth to one of the various sports pools to swim laps about 6 days per week. About three trips a day to bring the dog to one of our various walking places. Occasional trips to estate sales. Runs to Publix, Fresh Market, Sprouts, Lowe’s, Ace Hardware, Tropical Smoothie etc…. A drive to LSL or SS to check out the band and grab some take out. Going to one of the outdoor exercise equipment facilities to work out. Taking the dog to go bass fishing in one of the ponds. Visiting friends, and sometimes just going for a ride with the dog. The hour meter on the cart is frequently running.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
& how many of those cars in shopping lots belong to: employees of the shops, & non-villagers?

Tags
golf, cart, shopping, discussions, factors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.