Golf Cart Won't Start

Old 05-06-2024, 12:28 PM
Default Golf Cart Won't Start

Once or twice a week our 2022 Gas Yamaha cart will not start. Sometimes after a quick stop when driving or getting back in the cart on the golf course. We have a battery disconnect, so I screw it up, then back down, and everything works.

Have cycled the key switch, and the brake / gas peddles, but that doesn't work, the battery is new.

Has anyone had this problem

Old 05-06-2024, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,498 Posts

New battery meaning you Know it good battery? If don’t know need get pass battery first? Do have multimeter? Put it on DC volts black to ground on battery RED to position (+ ) on battery, should have 12. 7 volts or so. But, that don’t mean that battery has any amps for cranking? For that you have to load test it or use battery analyzer? I don’t know what you mean by screw it up? It talking about battery terminal connections they must be corrosion free and tight meaning you can’t twist them with your hands? You can search UTUBE for how to clean and connect battery terminals? Your quick disconnect may be corroded or the problem? If it was me I would take it out of system see if still does it?

There usually black small ground wire coming off negative (black -) cable with Butt connector check that connection. Is this new or older cart? Do see any signs of corrosion? Sounds like you have low voltage problem or dead battery. After that couple switches comes I play which you have to have multimeter and experience to determine if they’re good or bad?

Old 05-06-2024, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpears View Post
Once or twice a week our 2022 Gas Yamaha cart will not start. Sometimes after a quick stop when driving or getting back in the cart on the golf course. We have a battery disconnect, so I screw it up, then back down, and everything works.

Have cycled the key switch, and the brake / gas peddles, but that doesn't work, the battery is new.

Since you are able to "reset" the problem with the battery disconnect, this would be the first item I would carefully check. Look at all of the connections, battery to switch, switch to connected wires, and the internal connection operated by the knob. If possible, I would eliminate the battery disconnect and see if you still have the problem. Normally this type of problem is with the ignition (start) switch, the switch on the gas pedal, or the solenoid. You have tried 2 of the 3, so next time it happens try tapping on the solenoid with a piece of wood. If the cart starts on the next, try I would guess the solenoid is bad and occasionally jamming or has bad contacts. Finally, I would double check all of the heavy-duty cable connections to make sure these are all tight and in good condition.

A previous poster mentioned the ground connection, this was a major problem for another person I know. The splice was failing and occasionally the connection would fail completely and work at other times. We confirmed this by placing the golf cart in NEYTRAL, starting it and the wiggling the splice, the cart engine would stop running when the splice failed.

I have all of the necessary parts/equipment to fix this if you cannot do this yourself.

Last edited by villagetinker; 05-06-2024 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added some info

Old 05-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Sage

See post #3 above for additional information. On a side note I am going to have to research this "ground" connection as i do not recall seeing it on any of the factory wiring diagrams. I will post if I find additional info.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:25 PM
Default Thanks for the things to try

I'll go through all of the ground connections, and look for any splices, and will also be prepared to tap on the solenoid the next time this happens

Old 05-06-2024, 07:30 PM
Default Answers to your questions

The battery is new as mentioned, and all the terminals are in good condition. The battery disconnect that the villages added to this cart has a round green knob on the ground terminal that you screw to disconnect if leaving the cart for several days. So to get the cart to go I loosen it, then tighten it back down, and everything works. I will look for the but splice you mentioned, and also double check that this knob is securely tightened before I loosen it.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:32 PM
Sage

Upon further review of several Yamaha golf cart wiring diagrams, there is a ground connection from the battery negative to the golf cart frame. It appears that this connection may or may not actually be directly from the battery terminal and may be somewhere in the wiring harness. This was my point of confusion. The one or 2 cases where this connection was bad it appears the ground wire was spliced (badly) close to the battery negative terminal and then connected to body ground (somewhere). If this connection fails there are several items that are affected depending on the model of the golf cart. One older model actually shows a FUSE on this connection.
I hope this provides some useful information.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,234 Times in 2,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Upon further review of several Yamaha golf cart wiring diagrams, there is a ground connection from the battery negative to the golf cart frame. It appears that this connection may or may not actually be directly from the battery terminal and may be somewhere in the wiring harness. This was my point of confusion. The one or 2 cases where this connection was bad it appears the ground wire was spliced (badly) close to the battery negative terminal and then connected to body ground (somewhere). If this connection fails there are several items that are affected depending on the model of the golf cart. One older model actually shows a FUSE on this connection.
I hope this provides some useful information.
That is the ground where I had a bad crimp that was causing me issues last winter. The cart wouldn’t start, but if I rocked the cart back and forth I got it to work for a while until it happened again. I noticed a burnt spot through the clear crimp housing where the connection was loose and overheating. I cut out the crimp and soldered the wire and used heat shrink tubing and a heat gun to seal up the fix and all has been good since the easy fix. Hopefully the OP’s problem is the same issue with an easy fix.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:04 AM

I had exactly the same problem with my 2021 Yamaha. Removed the battery disconnect device and haven’t had the problem since.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:41 AM

I too had similar problem with 2022 Yamaha cart, am on my 4th battery (others labelled defective) and told I did not run it enough to recharge.
Thanks to a prior post on TOTV, I had another vendor rewire the Cheetah GPS Speedometer to the ignition and my problems have ceasesd. I guess it was constantly drawing power even when off, but now only draws when ignition is started. The GPS takes about 30 seconds to connect, but not an issue for me.

Quote:

Old 05-08-2024, 07:13 AM

As the OP mentioned, remove the quick disconnect and see if the problem goes away.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:41 AM
Question Put the key in

Quote:

. Now TURN THE KEY

Old 05-08-2024, 08:16 AM

If the electrical suggestions don't solve the problem... check out the throttle (accelerator) position sensor/switch that is at the base of the accelerator pedal underneath the floor panel. It's failure shows up as an intermittent "no start" problem. It was the problem my Yamaha had.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,216 Times in 767 Posts

Remove the disconnect.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:44 AM
Gold member

Maybe a bad Solenoid? They wear out sometimes.

Tags
cart, golf, gas, battery, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.