Golf carts Passing

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
I don't think it is limited to that area. Terrible on the cart path from Laurel M. area to Sumter landing. So dangerous, many near bad accidents. Some will take any chance to "floor it" at much higher speeds than posted; EVEN where the trail splits they will try to "make it" before the split. What I can't understand, my cart was tested at dealer, was actually at 20.5. When I told dealer in Jan. that I HAD to do something to increase speed as I was having people whizzing past constantly when I was going top speed, 3 dealers told me they are not "allowed by law" (?) to do anything to increase speed (law ? or law suits I was thinking ?), I began to wonder, do that many residents actually know how to make their carts run so fast by working on them ??? One out ran my auto which was going 26 mph on Belvidere just two days ago !)

My salesman told me that if Joe Blow tells you how to disengage the governor to go over the 20 mph, be aware that nullifies the warranty and they can tell when the engine is checked.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 AM

The other relevant statute addresses the definition of a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) requiring license and insurance for golf carts that can travel between 20 and 25 MPH. That's a fairly tight window, but it is the law.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Yes ! Exactly what I have experienced. People actually harassing you for going right at the limit for carts ! One man actually followed me into Walmart parking lot and parked right next to me, AFTER angerly pulling out and around, and THEN having to stop at the light just past Steak & Shake. And, NO, I was not "poking along", I was doing the 20.5 mph that my cart will do ! And while I am expressing my frustration, has anyone else experienced this: Going through cart gate on Belvidere near the high school, a auto stopped at gate, goes through when arm lifts, and then "floors it" immediately to turn RIGHT from the auto lane, cutting right in front of your cart so suddenly you barely miss crashing into the passenger side of the auto ? This is very frightening as in most cases you have NO idea they are trying to "beat" you, or that they would not wait to turn right in front of you until you had cleared the street (less than 5 SECONDS) ! I realize police might say the autos have the right to turn in front of a cart in the cart lane of street, but, to "race" a cart just to get to street first ? In the case of Belvidere, the first right turn is literally yards from the gate.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 AM

Amen ! !
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 AM

All so (sadly) true.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1099 View Post
We have a speedometer on our cart and some people are poking along at 14-15 miles an hour. That may be why you see carts passing other carts.
I have to disagree with you.

Pinellas Place has many golf carts going 25, 30+ mph on a daily basis.
They’re passing because they want to go well over the 20 mph.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Relax and let them pass.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,779 Posts

I find it strange that people would try to “race” a golf cart... on our Lifestyle visit we watched a couple of guys in a golf cart speed around a curb going towards Sumter Landing, hit the curb and go down sideways. They were buckled in. Hubby and another person righted the cart and off the cart went full speed ahead like nothing happened.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGirl View Post
Relax and let them pass.
Exactly! Amazing how upset people get, and how personal they take being passed. Good grief! Have they never had someone pass them while driving a car?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Do you think a golf cart passing 3 other carts is doing slightly more than 20 mph-have seen this often on St Charles & Bailey Tr.
Yeah. I've seen golf carts passing. Please, get out of the way.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:19 PM

Yes. Also, failure to obey stop signs.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,730 Times in 3,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
What it wrong with us? We work hard for many years finally retire and move to The Villages and it starts: You drive as fast as you can in the Golf Carts, you push your way through the Grocery Store, you push in line at the movies, get drunk at the Squares and miss the fun of the night,gripe about that lousy shopper that is walking too slow, drive your cars like this is a long race way and we have to beat the other guy, you can finish the rest. OH Yea, end up at the cardiologist and claim you don't know why your heart is racing? Please slow down and begin to enjoy the years you worked so hard for. You sit in a restaurant and gripe about the slow service as though you have somewhere to go. You sit at a table and watch
a diner near by and their leg is shaking a mile a minute. That is a good indication of "anxiety" and sad to watch. It is a hard job to adjust your life to enjoy the times as opposed to rushing everywhere. Just say to your self to "slowdown" and give the server a break. You will feel so much better.
I'm sure it's wonderful for people who are retired, with all the time and money in the world to do whatever they want, whenever they like, and relax and enjoy their lives.

But some of us still have to work for a living. This isn't a retirement community. It's a 55+ community. And social security doesn't kick in til you're 62, minimum. Medicare takes even longer.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I find it strange that people would try to “race” a golf cart... on our Lifestyle visit we watched a couple of guys in a golf cart speed around a curb going towards Sumter Landing, hit the curb and go down sideways. They were buckled in. Hubby and another person righted the cart and off the cart went full speed ahead like nothing happened.
You know what they say, No Brain, No Pain.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM

We are new villagers and carts pass us when we are going full speed. We don’t mind ... just be safe and have fun. We are all so blessed to live in this paradise.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,735 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Neither is correct. What I said was that it was highly unlikely he was going "a smidge over 20mph." NOWHERE in the article did he state he was "going a smidge over 20mph." In fact what he did state was: "I thought WHAT! – Morse Blvd. has a speed limit of 30mph – I was not going any speed close to the limit....." and "My plea was “No Contest” because I had no idea I was creating a criminal offense by driving the golf cart in excess of 20 mph." and "Next time I want to go “speeding” in a golf cart, I’ll be bringing my trusty technology from Remotecarstarterhero.com. Eat that radars."

That comment about the website also seems like an advertisement as well which could slightly taint the whole story. The article which I read about 2 1/2 years ago in the book it came from is def true in it's fact about the law and consequences and was one of the reasons I decided to go "street legal" however I do take the actual story with a couple grains of salt due to the plug at the end. The author of that book does have some ulterior plug and selling motives if you read his book (which was very informative pre-purchase) and get his newsletter.
yep, you are correct. I reread the article and he doesn't say he was going "just" over the speed limit. I must have been confused with another post....so I wouldn't be surprised if he was clipping along at 25 or more, and THAT got noticed...
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, passing, carts, mph-have, bailey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.