Golf in, Pickleball is out

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 04-03-2020, 10:14 AM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 7,896
Thanks: 3,666
Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
That certainly wasn't a gentleman. I never ever go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball. It's not my property. People should be called out for that. It's poor judgement and common sense not to trespass.

I’m too embarrassed to go looking for golf balls, especially when one strays off course property. I don’t even go in out of bounds to retrieve ball. It holds up play. They are too cheap to re-supply the ball.
  #47  
Old 04-03-2020, 12:02 PM
Rosie1950 Rosie1950 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 474
Thanks: 1
Thanked 100 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It's a very poor comparison. When you park you leave your vehicle and walk away without much physical exertion, when you pickleball you sweat, spit when you talk, cough, fart and spread your bodily fluids unknowingly in many directions affecting OTHERS AROUND YOU.
Well I don’t know about that. Plenty of walking farters around,at the postal station, grocery, town squares, they just let’em rip. LOL
I guess they think if they can’t hear nobody else can either
Never mind N95 masks sometimes u need gas masks
  #48  
Old 04-03-2020, 03:28 PM
justjim justjim is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Posts: 4,916
Thanks: 58
Thanked 667 Times in 255 Posts
Default Don’t enter private property for ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
That certainly wasn't a gentleman. I never ever go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball. It's not my property. People should be called out for that. It's poor judgement and common sense not to trespass.
This person may or may not be an “experienced” golfer who doesn’t know golf etiquette. Either way he owes the property owner an apology.
__________________
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abraham Lincoln
  #49  
Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,954
Thanks: 368
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
This person may or may not be an “experienced” golfer who doesn’t know golf etiquette. Either way he owes the property owner an apology.
And besides golf etiquette, there's the thing about not trespassing, which applies everywhere.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #50  
Old 04-03-2020, 08:32 PM
chet2020 chet2020 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 173
Thanks: 110
Thanked 181 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I live on a course. Five minutes ago, a golfer, left the course, walked within two feet of my lanai and rummaged thru my landscaping. Three times I asked him to leave my property and return to the course. He refused, ignored me until he found a couple balls. Stay at home order does not mean you trespass on the private property of another and refuse to leave. Called starter shack to have ambassador speak to him. I thought golf was a gentleman’s game.
I'm a golfer and that golfer was a jerk, pandemic or not.
  #51  
Old 04-04-2020, 05:18 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,278
Thanks: 193
Thanked 4,594 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
And besides golf etiquette, there's the thing about not trespassing, which applies everywhere.
The following may surprise everyone, it certainly surprised me (and I live on a golf course)

By Raymond Schumann - Board Certified Real Estate Attorney:

"Golf course communities always have a section in their deed restrictions, easements and covenants that permit golfers to retrieve their errant balls. This section might read: "Every Lot and the Common Area is burdened with an easement permitting golf balls hit from the Club facilities to unintentionally come upon the Lot and for golfers at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner to come upon the exterior portions of the Lot to retrieve errant golf balls." If the Lot is fenced or walled, the documents usually confirm that the golfer must seek the Owner's or Occupant's permission before entry.
In other words, people may enter property to retrieve items such as golf balls, or pets if they do so in a reasonable manner. Tearing down a fence would not be considered reasonable. Every owner of property located on or adjacent to a golf course should become familiar with the applicable sections of the deed restrictions, easements and covenants governing their property."

I still won't go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball, but if someone comes into my yard, they apparently have the legal right to do so. There are certain properties on certain courses (and golfers know where they are), that you should avoid at all costs---the homeowner is NUTS--to the point that he has a restraining order against him

Last edited by golfing eagles; 04-04-2020 at 05:25 AM.
  #52  
Old 04-04-2020, 07:40 AM
xNYer xNYer is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Default Deed restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The following may surprise everyone, it certainly surprised me (and I live on a golf course)

By Raymond Schumann - Board Certified Real Estate Attorney:

"Golf course communities always have a section in their deed restrictions, easements and covenants that permit golfers to retrieve their errant balls. This section might read: "Every Lot and the Common Area is burdened with an easement permitting golf balls hit from the Club facilities to unintentionally come upon the Lot and for golfers at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner to come upon the exterior portions of the Lot to retrieve errant golf balls." If the Lot is fenced or walled, the documents usually confirm that the golfer must seek the Owner's or Occupant's permission before entry.
In other words, people may enter property to retrieve items such as golf balls, or pets if they do so in a reasonable manner. Tearing down a fence would not be considered reasonable. Every owner of property located on or adjacent to a golf course should become familiar with the applicable sections of the deed restrictions, easements and covenants governing their property."

I still won't go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball, but if someone comes into my yard, they apparently have the legal right to do so. There are certain properties on certain courses (and golfers know where they are), that you should avoid at all costs---the homeowner is NUTS--to the point that he has a restraining order against him
I couldn’t find anything similar to that in the deed restrictions for my lot in The Villages.
  #53  
Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,278
Thanks: 193
Thanked 4,594 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
I couldn’t find anything similar to that in the deed restrictions for my lot in The Villages.
I'll take your word for it, I didn't check. And I have no idea if this is something that applies to all of Florida or if it is a community by community regulation.

In either case, I think it is just plain rude to do so without permission. If I'm sitting on my lanai, I tell golfers to go right ahead and get their ball, but I support anyone who doesn't want them to.
  #54  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Bambi Bambi is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Sorry. Nothing in deed restrictions in The Villages reference right of a golfer to trespass on your property and rummage through your landscaping with their golf club. If there was such an easement would The Villages assume liability for “slip and falls?”. If you read the Good Golf rule booklet, it specifically states not to leave the golf course to retrieve balls.
Nowhere does it state that the homeowner must allow strangers on their private property.
As far as the edge of the property, I have found golfers looking for balls in my front yard and walking past my bedroom and bathroom windows.
A few golfers have politely asked if they can look for their ball but most just barge on in usually accompanied by one or two of their “helpful friends.”
If you cannot afford to replace a ball and you think you are entitled to invade someone’s property, maybe it is time to find a sport you can afford.
  #55  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 AM
justjim justjim is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Posts: 4,916
Thanks: 58
Thanked 667 Times in 255 Posts
Default Golf balls in private yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
I couldn’t find anything similar to that in the deed restrictions for my lot in The Villages.
It’s not in my deed restrictions here in The Villages. Good golf school here in TV teaches not to enter yards unless invited to retrieve a golf ball.
__________________
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abraham Lincoln
  #56  
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 3,732
Thanks: 694
Thanked 1,616 Times in 655 Posts
Default

The drawback of being golf front is golfers, but most golfers are very respectful of the property owners.
  #57  
Old 04-05-2020, 05:34 PM
Knighterrant Knighterrant is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Another addition to the arguments regarding shutting down pickle ball. Farting! The newest method of transmitting a virus.
  #58  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:37 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,954
Thanks: 368
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The following may surprise everyone, it certainly surprised me (and I live on a golf course)

By Raymond Schumann - Board Certified Real Estate Attorney:

"Golf course communities always have a section in their deed restrictions, easements and covenants that permit golfers to retrieve their errant balls. This section might read: "Every Lot and the Common Area is burdened with an easement permitting golf balls hit from the Club facilities to unintentionally come upon the Lot and for golfers at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner to come upon the exterior portions of the Lot to retrieve errant golf balls." If the Lot is fenced or walled, the documents usually confirm that the golfer must seek the Owner's or Occupant's permission before entry.
In other words, people may enter property to retrieve items such as golf balls, or pets if they do so in a reasonable manner. Tearing down a fence would not be considered reasonable. Every owner of property located on or adjacent to a golf course should become familiar with the applicable sections of the deed restrictions, easements and covenants governing their property."

I still won't go into someone's yard to retrieve a ball, but if someone comes into my yard, they apparently have the legal right to do so. There are certain properties on certain courses (and golfers know where they are), that you should avoid at all costs---the homeowner is NUTS--to the point that he has a restraining order against him
I don't think rummaging through someone's landscaping would qualify as a reasonable manner.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, remain, tonight, notice, closed

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.