Good News . . . I Mean REALLY Good News!

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2023, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

If Costco really is coming here, they better secure the property now. Prime commercial real is in high demand and it is only going to get more expensive.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,090 Times in 4,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubieland View Post
I too have been a Costco shopper for years. I also have a son who is a AGM for Costco. When I have asked him this question, he has told me that Costco will not build in the Villages because of the demographics. Simply put, people our age do not buy in bulk. We don't buy a lot anymore like we use to when we had our families. If you are every at BJ's or Sam's look at people's carriages, the bulk items are usually toilet paper, paper towels, detergent, and Kleenex. If you want to shop Costco and save some gas & mileage, order items online and have it delivered. We did that last Christmas (it was our 1st Christmas here) and bought our tree and decorations. Very easy to do, and you get the Costco quality that you like.
While I agree in principle with the analysis of the demographics, it leaves the big question: Why did Sam's club build here, followed by a BJ's years later? Are the COSTCO planners much, much smarter??? And how much revenue have they lost by not building here 10 years ago due to "demographics"?
Old 07-01-2023, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
My guess is that IF a Costco ever comes to the Village’s it will be near the new Middleton area where lots of housing for young families with kids will be. Costco’s business model is to sell products in volume at low margins. Without customers buying lots of stuff in bulk their business model simply doesn’t work. Homes with two senior citizens simply don’t fit their target demographic, they need young families that rapidly go through products in volume. Demographics aside, Florida is already at a disadvantage fitting into Costco’s model because the homes don’t have basements, leaving homes at a disadvantage for bulk purchase storage. The Village’s has had the population concentrated sought after by Costco for years, but the demographic make up of the population isn’t favorable in their eyes.
The rumor that never dies. If there is to be a Costco in The Villages area, it most certainly will not be on Villages property. Costco thrives on huge volume at low margins, and will never pay the vig the Developer extracts from its retail "partners."
Old 07-01-2023, 07:29 AM

Neither
Old 07-01-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
LOL. You need a crystal ball. None of the 3 stores mentioned in the OP are even listed on the Costco website.
I don't know about Costco stores in The Villages or Daytona, but the Costco in Clermont was discussed in TOTV in a May thread that included a link to a news article about it. I also found a droid video showing that construction is well underway.

We will continue to use Sams since Clermont is an hour drive from us, but for those who live below Sawgrass it is less than 1/2 hour.

Clermont Approves Costco Permits, Floor & Decor Construction Underway, Bojangles Permits Filed – Horizon West News & Info

Last edited by tjdmlhw; 07-01-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Adding link
Old 07-01-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
LOL. You need a crystal ball. None of the 3 stores mentioned in the OP are even listed on the Costco website.
Here ya go! Costco / Clermont
Old 07-01-2023, 10:26 AM

Most of us will be dead or nearly dead before that happens. And a Costco employee isn't the best source for anything
Old 07-01-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Last week my husband and I had the occasion to go to one of the Costco stores in Orlando. When we were checking out I mentioned to the cashier and other Costco employee that we never get to Costco as often as I would like because it's a 50-mile drive each way. They went on to tell us that a new Costco was being built in Clermont and they expected it to be opened around November. The current manager at that store was being transferred to the new Clermont store.

They went on to say that the next Costco (Florida) store was scheduled to be built in Daytona. And guess where the next Florida store is going to be??? YES -- HERE --within about three years! I don't know about most people, but I am thrilled. I've been a die-hard Costco customer for over 30 years.
I will be thrilled too if I’m alive in three years. Are there more people in Clermont then in the Villages?
Old 07-01-2023, 01:17 PM

Wonderful news -- thank you for sharing. There is not any comparison at all to the quality and selection of Costco vs. the two big box stores currently in TV. We bought our place in February, 2021 and the only place we could get appliances and furniture from w/guaranteed availability and delivery dates was Costco -- average 2 weeks. Everyone else was 2+ months! Add the 2% cash back w/the Executive Membership and use the Costco Citibank Visa and get another 2% back AND extend your warranty on all purchases by 2 years. Costco is THE BEST!
Old 07-01-2023, 01:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,630 Times in 600 Posts

Friday noonish stopped at BJ’s 2 cars at the pumps, 11 cars and 2 carts in the lot. Ran in to remove auto renewal, will not be renewing.

Left BJ’s traveled to Sam’s, too many cars in gas station to count. Closest parking 5 rows, from door, close to the farthest end of isle, no golf carts. Place was packed, 15 people waiting at the deli counter for chicken, because they already sold out (not the first time for us)

Clientele split between older, and some young families. Sams holds their own in TV area, and then some
Old 07-01-2023, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
While I agree in principle with the analysis of the demographics, it leaves the big question: Why did Sam's club build here, followed by a BJ's years later? Are the COSTCO planners much, much smarter??? And how much revenue have they lost by not building here 10 years ago due to "demographics"?
Every corporation has a marketing and business development group that makes decisions based on their business plans. Sam's and BJ's look at their plans. Sam's might consider the location of sisters business's, BJ's may look at their total presence and begin a market coverage strategy....who knows. I suspect all three think they are smarter than the other 2.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
costco, store, news, built, clermont

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.