A great club fitting experience!

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You're the fourth person that I've heard of that went to Palmer and got fit for clubs. All four ended up buying Callaway.

Maybe it's coincidence but I find it interesting.
My husband went there had a full fitting and bought Titleist clubs.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:23 PM

If you can't swing properly, don't waste your money getting fitted...
Just get yourself Standard Loft/Lie with senior flex clubs and go have fun.

Stiff Flex - Consistently Drive 250 or more yards
Reg Flex - 230-250
Senior Flex - 200-230
Ladies Flex - less than 200 yards off the tee

Website "Golf Country" numbers..
Old 06-12-2022, 05:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,360 Times in 619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I have played with the new clubs several times now and even did a extensive range session between the old and the new; the old clubs are now gone.
What was your handicap with the old clubs and what is it now? How much farther are you driving it? How many greens in regulation did you hit with the old clubs and how many do you hit now?
Old 06-13-2022, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,568 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You're the fourth person that I've heard of that went to Palmer and got fit for clubs. All four ended up buying Callaway.

Maybe it's coincidence but I find it interesting.
Well, I know a few that have bought TM and Mizuno also. Callaway just has a excellent product.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
What was your handicap with the old clubs and what is it now? How much farther are you driving it? How many greens in regulation did you hit with the old clubs and how many do you hit now?
So far the index has dropped by 3; I’ve never had problem with driver distance but with the new one all I have to do is aim and it; it’s going where I want to. GIR was approx 60%; it has gone up a few points but it’s much more effortless; it is still a process in getting used to the irons for a little while longer.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post

Reg Flex - 230-250
Senior Flex - 200-230

Yeah, right. Maybe fir the hit and giggle golfers.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post

Reg Flex - 230-250
Senior Flex - 200-230

Those numbers look like something that came out of a golf book from the 1950s. There is a lot more to fitting than shaft flex and there is a lot more to shafts than just flex.

The thing is how do you know if your bad shots are being caused by your swing or because of ill fitting equipment? You might be swinging fine but getting poor results because you're playing with the wrong clubs.

I've seen people develop bad swings in an attempt to fit their swings to their clubs. People end up making compensating moves in their swings in order to offset clubs that are too short, too long, too flat, too upright, too stiff, too flexible, flex in the wrong place in shaft, wrong grip size, wrong loft.

If your clubs fit you properly, how are you going to develop a swing that works for you?

On the other hand, there are actually two different ways to fit clubs. if a golfer has been playing a long time and has developed bad habits and is not interested in working to change his/her swing, clubs can be made to offset those bad habits. In other words, if you have a bad swing, you can get clubs that fit that bad swing.

It's kind of like the chicken and the egg.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,895 Times in 3,709 Posts

Quote:
I also looked at Club Champion and for the difference in fitting price and the fact that Tom is a Top 100 fitter in the nation,
IS he a Top 100 or WAS he a Top 100??

Which List??
Old 06-13-2022, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Some time ago, I had a club fitting at the Palmer Legends Custom Club Shop with Tom Spargo and it was incredible. It opened my eyes as to actually what I needed vs what I had been playing.

I have played with the new clubs several times now and even did a extensive range session between the old and the new; the old clubs are now gone.

I also looked at Club Champion and for the difference in fitting price and the fact that Tom is a Top 100 fitter in the nation, I’m glad of whom I went with.

If you are thinking about getting a fitting for irons, woods or a full bag, call Tom at 352-753-5310.
How are the new clubs different from your old clubs? I know that newer clubheads seem to have less off-set when compared to the clubs in the 1990's.

How about the new shafts and the new swing weights? If you changed from steel to graphite, the shafts would probably be lighter, but did you keep the swing weight the same?

Did you change the size of the grips? If so, how did the club fitter determine that you needed grips with a different size?

It seems to me that two important characteristics of golf clubs, swing weight and grip size, depend mainly on personal preference and a player can only make a decision based on their own experimentation.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, fitting, tom, clubs, looked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.