Grocery Store plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2024, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
When new arriving Floridians that want to be all year residents - feel the summer HEAT and humidity and the reality of hurricanes - they will be "fleeing back up north". Also, many people are NOT aware that hurricanes in the vicinity of TV Land then SPAWN out tornadoes, which are more dangerous than the hurricanes.
So your thoughts are everyone (MANY) who ups a house anywhere in Florida, has never researched, visited, watched or read news. Or has been living underground for all of their lives, until breaking out of their hole to immediately drive to Florida buy a house, then live in fear.

Where does one get such information, or are you on the committee that counts those who are fleeing.

Or the committee who feels many who have experienced tornadoes in other states need to fear Florida tornadoes because that cause more destruction
Old 03-28-2024, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
You forgot other countries too. Just sayin'
Yes, people now and historically came to this country for their freedom. That doesn’t mean they are not part of a community but it means they expect respect for the individual.
(Generally, people don’t like others to do the thinking for them.)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
So your thoughts are everyone (MANY) who ups a house anywhere in Florida, has never researched, visited, watched or read news. Or has been living underground for all of their lives, until breaking out of their hole to immediately drive to Florida buy a house, then live in fear.

Where does one get such information, or are you on the committee that counts those who are fleeing.

Or the committee who feels many who have experienced tornadoes in other states need to fear Florida tornadoes because that cause more destruction
I stand by my opinions. I think that Florida will disappoint a lot of people after they have been here for awhile and spent summers here. i can imagine many bought homes here and have NEVER been bitten by a fire ant. That is an interesting, NEW experience for them! And then when the wife in the family goes to start her car in her garage and steps on a snake (maybe poisonous). That's an experience that most people living in Florida for ten years have had. And walking their dog near a lake and meeting Florida's famous mascot - the GATOR.......won't that be a nice 1st time thrill?
......And the sink holes in the streets are getting bigger as the air is hotter and holds more water vapor - and thus more rain (like TODAY). Also more traffic on 441 and other highways as the Florida population increases. And the insurance increases.
......And I won't even mention that in 5 to 10 years people in Miami and both coasts will be relocating northward due to ocean rise and MORE insurance cost increases.
..........I hope that people see that ALL Florida problems (of which the inadvertent polluting of lakes and the Gulf with plastic grocery bags and styrafoam) is just ONE of many caused by too much population pressure. And the mistaken idea that MORE is better. It is NOT the MORE of everything that should be SOUGHT, but rather that point of MAXIMUM PROSPERITY and happiness for the average person.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage

Being bitten by a fire ant is now an issue? It is probably best you stay inside glued to your keyboard with the caps lock key engaged.

Quote:
I stand by my opinions. I think that Florida will disappoint a lot of people after they have been here for awhile and spent summers here. i can imagine many bought homes here and have NEVER been bitten by a fire ant. That is an interesting, NEW experience for them! And then when the wife in the family goes to start her car in her garage and steps on a snake (maybe poisonous). That's an experience that most people living in Florida for ten years have had. And walking their dog near a lake and meeting Florida's famous mascot - the GATOR.......won't that be a nice 1st time thrill?
......And the sink holes in the streets are getting bigger as the air is hotter and holds more water vapor - and thus more rain (like TODAY). Also more traffic on 441 and other highways as the Florida population increases. And the insurance increases.
......And I won't even mention that in 5 to 10 years people in Miami and both coasts will be relocating northward due to ocean rise and MORE insurance cost increases.
..........I hope that people see that ALL Florida problems (of which the inadvertent polluting of lakes and the Gulf with plastic grocery bags and styrafoam) is just ONE of many caused by too much population pressure. And the mistaken idea that MORE is better. It is NOT the MORE of everything that should be SOUGHT, but rather that point of MAXIMUM PROSPERITY and happiness for the average person.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Lol exactly Communist thinking. And who decided what is the wrong choice? The dictator/head party member.
I wonder if communism DECIDED that seat belts in cars saved lives and that should be a law. Seems like everyone likes that idea NOW. They did NOT when it was 1st proposed. There are MANY other similar examples. Such as should plastic bags be allowed in grocery stores?
Old 03-28-2024, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
You forgot other countries too. Just sayin'
That IS the BIGGER problem because it increases the population of Florida and the US and will undermine middle class recent gains. Now on a more GRANULAR level, more people in Florida means more plastic pollution of the grocery bag kind or ANY other plastic ending up in our lake, Gulf, or Ocean.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Stanley North Dakota: cool summers, no alligators, no Gulf of Mexico, no sink holes, no fire ants, no gators, very few venomous snakes, 2000 people so little population pressure, no TOTV so no one to aggravate anyone, no grocery stores so fewer plastic bags, low housing and insurance rates.....
Old 03-28-2024, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
I wonder if communism DECIDED that seat belts in cars saved lives and that should be a law. Seems like everyone likes that idea NOW. They did NOT when it was 1st proposed. There are MANY other similar examples. Such as should plastic bags be allowed in grocery stores?
Huge difference between seat belts and plastic bags. If a vehicle was made without seat belts, there wasn't much choice to use one. But, no one is being forced to use or to not use plastic bags. Everyone has a choice.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Political posts are not allowed.

Maybe older gen buy plastic tubs of generic junk, Then again eating processed food plastic is the least of problems. Well not at most ages here way too late to bother changing habits. At this late in the game nothing is going to improve lifeline.

Our family
Butter in wax paper, sauce, mustard, milk in glass,
All meat is wrapped in butcher paper, from the farm
Laundry soap comes in sheets or bar in box

Plastic in our house is less than 17%. It not about change our whole life we raised, can, or froze food. Mt guess is 80% of residents in TV have eaten processed food their whole life, so plastic is just a norm for many
Where do you buy your medicine? What type of car do you drive? I can go on... Plastic is everywhere! No sense in blaming eating habits. Have you gone home to home counting how much processed food is in our cabinets and refrigerators? Most of us are old enough to understand it is bad for us. Instead, we eat an abundance of fresh food. Don't believe it? You can start your processed food count at my house.

Please share where in the Villages you buy butter in waxed paper and which local farm you go to for meat wrapped in butcher paper.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-28-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
I am amazed that Florida still allows the use of plastic bags in grocery stores. So many other states have banned it. We now have microplastics (very small plastic particles) in our agriculture soil, ocean and just about anywhere you can think of. There are so many studies that verify the dangers of plastics and I cringe every time I go to the grocery store and see 10-20-30 plastic bags per cart. Just one Publics said they can go through thousands of plastic bags in a day. Here is one link that talks about how serious this problem has gotten. It's our new DDT.How microplastics are infiltrating the food you eat . There are now studies beiing done of earthworms ingesting micro-plastics. ScienceDirect
I USE them all. I use them for garbage cans in the bathroom & bedroom. Pick up dog poop. And other uses.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Tsk, tsk. Name calling makes one appear, well, you know.
Yup, we know who they are, and they make themselves look foolish every time.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Tsk, tsk. Name calling makes one appear, well, you know.
I didn't specify anyone... You really shouldn't assume things...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Sense. Most certainly.
Brilliant retort...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-28-2024, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
There is a difference between what a dictator mandates and what a majority supports. Notice I always write Communism with a capital because I am referring to their actual practices in life as compared to the ideology. In practice Communism is a dictatorship (by the party or the head of the party).
Old 03-28-2024, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yet you're still here...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
plastic, bags, grocery, store, studies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.