Has anyone else noticed all the road debris? Who cleans this up?

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2023, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
A while back, there was a golf car wreck on one of our village streets. The patient/victim, who was unconscious and lying in the street, was treated and ultimately transported by VPSD. The ambulance and Wildwood Police cleared from the scene, and left behind a massive amount of medical trash lying in the street, to include blood soaked guaze. None of the 1st responders made any effort to collect the trash, even the potentially biohazardous stuff. Solution? I went home, put on latex gloves, and collected and bagged all the trash.
Thank you.

Their goal is and should be to get injured people cared for, quickly and to the hospital ALIVE.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
The grounds maintenance people do pick up trash that is in the ditches when they mow (in the summer, once a week...winter? I don't know). I don't know about stuff on the actual street. One would think that, if it poses a danger (sharp metal can cut tires), then law enforcement removes it, but that is just a supposition.

One very large gripe I (and others) have is the amount of trash on and on either side of the MMPs. That stuff isn't tossed out of car windows but is supplied by fellow Villagers, one can assume almost exclusively: various items chucked near bushes, hedges, on the path, or in areas that the maintenance guys don't mow. Empty liquor bottles, especially those little ones (one ounce?), seems to be a biggie, but I've seen larger ones as well; we used to call 'em "half-pints" back in the day but I don't know how much the contain now. Empty beer cans. Or not-so-empty beer cans; I've seen a couple of cans that apparently served as ashtrays until their owners decided to chuck them out of the cart. Lots of disposable vaping pods. A still-smoldering cigar. A pair of men's undershorts. Empty Styrofoam coffee cups. Something that very much resembled a used prophylactic. Broken sunglasses. And so on. Most or all "donated" by people who, if such detritus was strewn on THEIR lawn or sidewalk, would be yowling to high heaven. You don't see it from the street, but it is there, and very definitely does NOT fit the image of Neat, Clean and Orderly that is a pretty big selling point for prospective home buyers.

Maybe a volunteer organization? Something like the Adopt-A-Highway volunteer cleanups one sees in various states? I've been thinking about that.
That is a problem everywhere. The villages is not clean because EVERYONE is perfect. It is clean because so many people paid and not who pick up after THE PIGS both residents and passing throughs.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Too much mocking…..is not healthy either.

Why doesn’t everyone make an effort to carry a pair of garden/work gloves and a plastic bag with them or on their carts. When out and about, spend 5 minutes picking up some of the trash and then go about your day. If everyone who is able does this, you’ll have pristine in no time. Great for the psyche and the body.
MY OPINION. You are not likely to change others. It is a waste of time and it is stressful. The villages is a development and it is CONGESTED. That is both a plus and a minus.

I call them astronomers. People who think the world revolves around them. They are everywhere not just in the villages.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
You don’t pay a “ hefty” fee, just average taxes. We get what we pay for..
Wrong. Our monthly amenity fee DOES NOT INCLUDE TAXES. Property taxes are paid seperatly. The amenity fee is Water,Sewer,Garbarge pick up. So why should the Villiagers "pick up the slack"
Old 01-15-2023, 10:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,803 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Wrong. Our monthly amenity fee DOES NOT INCLUDE TAXES. Property taxes are paid seperatly. The amenity fee is Water,Sewer,Garbarge pick up. So why should the Villiagers "pick up the slack"
Your property taxes are paid to Sumter or whichever county that is encompassed in The Villages area. Other than the private streets, each county maintains road sides/ditches. That amenity fee you pay every month is not “hefty” enough to meticulously maintain the multimodal paths if the residents don’t care enough to toss and get rid of their own trash. It’s that simple, pony up the cash for that level of maintenance or chip in here and there by picking up a piece or two when you see it.
Closed Thread

Tags
road, debris, wildwood, and/or, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.