Heading to TV this coming week

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2024, 11:39 AM
Default Heading to TV this coming week

We'll be heading to TV this coming week and spending a few days in a hotel to look things over. Just wanted to ask for suggestions as to what we should do to make the best of our time there. We'll be making stops at hospitals, doctors offices to discuss availability to new patients and acceptance of insurance. Visiting Assisted Living Facilities for elderly family members. Viewing various villages of interest, and the distance to and from stores, amenities, medical. The general layout as far as roads, traffic, construction. Speaking to villagers about likes and concerns. Hitting the outer areas, if time allows. Grabbing pamphlets, maps, info. Checking out the Squares, and basically trying to take in as much as possible.

We'll only be there for three days, as we regretted in the past booking longer stays in areas we left after spending a day or so and realizing it was not at all what we had expected. Of course if all checks out, our next visit will be longer.

What would you suggest a must see on a first visit ? And is there a 'Welcome Center' of sorts were we can inquire and find all or most necessary info in one place. We'll be there from Mon - Thurs.

One last thing, we watched a UTube video ( I believe it was by 'Gold Wingnut' though I could be wrong) whereas he mentioned a second hospital that was in the works. This video was about two years old, more or less. What has happened to this ? Was it scrapped ? Delayed ? This is a sticking point for us, as we have read/heard there is a distinct lack of medical care in the area. If anyone could elaborate on this we would appreciate it, as this is our primary concern.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:56 AM
Location: Georgia, S.C., Pa., West Va.,Tenn, Tx, Fl. Hemingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBob View Post
We'll be heading to TV this coming week and spending a few days in a hotel to look things over. Just wanted to ask for suggestions as to what we should do to make the best of our time there. We'll be making stops at hospitals, doctors offices to discuss availability to new patients and acceptance of insurance. Visiting Assisted Living Facilities for elderly family members. Viewing various villages of interest, and the distance to and from stores, amenities, medical. The general layout as far as roads, traffic, construction. Speaking to villagers about likes and concerns. Hitting the outer areas, if time allows. Grabbing pamphlets, maps, info. Checking out the Squares, and basically trying to take in as much as possible.

We'll only be there for three days, as we regretted in the past booking longer stays in areas we left after spending a day or so and realizing it was not at all what we had expected. Of course if all checks out, our next visit will be longer.

What would you suggest a must see on a first visit ? And is there a 'Welcome Center' of sorts were we can inquire and find all or most necessary info in one place. We'll be there from Mon - Thurs.

One last thing, we watched a UTube video ( I believe it was by 'Gold Wingnut' though I could be wrong) whereas he mentioned a second hospital that was in the works. This video was about two years old, more or less. What has happened to this ? Was it scrapped ? Delayed ? This is a sticking point for us, as we have read/heard there is a distinct lack of medical care in the area. If anyone could elaborate on this we would appreciate it, as this is our primary concern.
TV is a LARGE area. There are 3 Welcome Centers i.e.Town Squares each having Trolley Tours. You may want to try the trolley from Brownwood and see the new hospital on 44? New villages are south of Brownwood.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,280 Times in 791 Posts

For all the things you want to do , you need to rent here for a few months....
Old 02-10-2024, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,379 Posts

Not enough time other than to get a feel for the size.

Consider signing up for a week long lifestyle visit at a future date of interested.

Further online research will help her better prepared.

There's good hospitals nearby ( within 15- 45 min) in Leesburg, Ocala, Gainesville and Orlando.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:39 PM
Gold member

Being close to a square is nice but don't put that at number one. Closer to where you will shop, golf, eat and your doctor visits are more important. Remember location is the great equalizer.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:49 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,513 Posts

I wouldn't stop at doctors offices as by the time you decide to move here most of them will be retired for the second time and the individual at the desk won't be able to answer your questions other than are they accepting new patients.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I wouldn't stop at doctors offices as by the time you decide to move here most of them will be retired for the second time and the individual at the desk won't be able to answer your questions other than are they accepting new patients.
I agree, I would try to sort out the Doctors online. Their location, the insurances they accept, whether they are accepting new patients, their specialties, are all usually available on their websites.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,622 Times in 5,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Being close to a square is nice but don't put that at number one. Closer to where you will shop, golf, eat and your doctor visits are more important. Remember location is the great equalizer.
After a year or so most villagers hardly ever go to a square for nightly entertainment.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:14 PM

Wow...your proposed agenda is making my head hurt .

First of all it's peak season here, tons of people in all directions !

I would take the trolley tours .
Check out the town squares, and wait in line at the restaurants.
Talk to as many people as you can for information about The Villages if they are residents there. You will get a much better insight from the local residents .

By the time you do those few tasks your time will be up and you will gone , 3 days is not enough time to even get your feet wet.

Enjoy !
Old 02-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,990 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
We'll be heading to TV this coming week and spending a few days in a hotel to look things over. We'll be making stops at hospitals, doctors offices to discuss availability to new patients and acceptance of insurance. Visiting Assisted Living Facilities for elderly family members.
Apologize if I am misinterpreting your decision ahead of time, if you have already decided to move, then great, otherwise the above have nothing to do with determining if you will like The Villages lifestyle. These are more important of the location you want to choose after you decide you want to move to the villages. If these are the most important items to whether you want to move here or not, then there may be cheaper places with more medical facilities in other places. Rural FL large retirement and top notch healthcare don't exactly go well together as medicare reimbursements are very low compared to a suburban working location with private pay reimbursements as a higher percentage of medical visits.

Supposing you find the exact location which optimizes all the above, there is no guarantee that there is a house which you will like available to buy. . . or can afford. . . or that you even like

What do you need to visit to decide whether this is a general location you want to live in or not?

Just my opinion, and I realize that you are trying to analyze the physical setting, appearing to be a highly sensory logical type. . but try first to drive around in a car, or golf cart if you can rent one for a day. and eating at the country club for lunch, squares for dinner, or vice versa, sit around the squares to talk with people, take the trolley tour, and visit some of the recreation centers and view some of the activities other than golf. Walk the hog eye, fenney trail, drive over the newest Southern oaks / Bexley bridge to the southern area to see the expanse of development as far as the eye can see. If you drive by an open house, stop in and wander around

and the come back and ask us about renting for a month, unless you can make a quick decision, but not thinking that is your personality type.

good luck
Old 02-10-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al2014 View Post
You may want to try the trolley from Brownwood and see the new hospital on 44?

Thanks Al2014. Are you referring to the UF Health Freestanding ER on 44 ?
I just watched Gold Wingnut's video again and he said that there are two hospitals in the works (?). One would be built on the lot behind the Freestanding ER and the other is planned to be south of 44 near Dabney. Any other info on this would be appreciated.

I found the video btw though I'm not able to link to it here for some reason. So I'll leave the title of the video and time stamp.

Construction Update #135 Following the Dream - Central Parkway Growing 1/22/24
The information on the hospitals starts at around 4:30 mins.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,230 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Al2014. Are you referring to the UF Health Freestanding ER on 44 ?
I just watched Gold Wingnut's video again and he said that there are two hospitals in the works (?). One would be built on the lot behind the Freestanding ER and the other is planned to be south of 44 near Dabney. Any other info on this would be appreciated.

I found the video btw though I'm not able to link to it here for some reason. So I'll leave the title of the video and time stamp.

Construction Update #135 Following the Dream - Central Parkway Growing 1/22/24
The information on the hospitals starts at around 4:30 mins.

The new hospital way down South is on hold officially and probably dead. They realized they cannot staff it. The other hospital behind the ER on 466A at Trailwinds is still on the table.

A 60-bed hospital is coming to Wildwood and will be built near Trailwinds Village on County Road 466A.
HCA Healthcare, Inc. has announced plans to build three new acute care hospitals in Florida to help meet the state’s growing need for healthcare services.

HCA Acute Care Hospital
Old 02-10-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
For all the things you want to do , you need to rent here for a few months....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Not enough time other than to get a feel for the size.

Consider signing up for a week long lifestyle visit at a future date of interested.

Further online research will help her better prepared.

There's good hospitals nearby ( within 15- 45 min) in Leesburg, Ocala, Gainesville and Orlando.

Thanks guys. Yes, I understand that I'll need much more time, however we booked longer stays in areas we had no interest in once we arrived. So we decided to play it safe, book a short stay and from there decide if there will be another. If so, we'll probably rent for an extended period of time. With so much to take in I would think there will probably be a few long stays.

As far as hospitals being 15+ mins away, our concern would be in the case of a critical life threatening situation whereas one would be brought to the closest 911 receiving facility. And hospitals further away would not come into play.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post

Yes, totally agree with that. Not a golfer (yet) but certainly proximity to shops, drs, restaurants is definitely important.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I agree, I would try to sort out the Doctors online. Their location, the insurances they accept, whether they are accepting new patients, their specialties, are all usually available on their websites.

Thanks for that guys. Good ideas. And that should also free up some time, of which we have very little.
Closed Thread

Tags
ect, areas, info, medical, video

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.