Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Is that in real dollars or that Canadian funny money? Do they accept payment in lobster?
Did Mets win the World Series? NO!
Since you lost our World Series bet, you can pay for lobster in any currency you like.

Are you making fun of Canadian currency just because it's coloured?
Or perhaps because it's in the ditch right now?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrynsews View Post
I'm grateful for all of the advice. We are new owners, we closed on our home by mail in May and will arrive tomorrow to begin furnishing our home. We are bringing very little with us, and hope to take our time, only buying what we love. We have learned so much from searching posts and topics. Thanks to all of you! We look forward to new friends and experiences.
Welcome to The Villages. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.
Taking your time to get settled and buy furniture is a great idea!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM

We just moved into Pine Ridge--just 2 weeks ago. We have very few neighbors since we're one of the first in this area. Kinda lonely. Looking forward to getting involved in everything we dreamed of!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Did Mets win the World Series? NO!
Since you lost our World Series bet, you can pay for lobster in any currency you like.

Are you making fun of Canadian currency just because it's coloured?
Or perhaps because it's in the ditch right now?
Since I won our NLCS bet and there was no World series bet, I'll accept my lobster steamed with extra butter. And would I make fun of Canadian currency just because I have monopoly money that looks better???? well, maybe....

However, we both get 15 yd. penalty for "cross-threading"
Old 09-04-2016, 07:18 PM

Thanks Gracie for starting this forum. My husband and I are new to TV - only here 3 weeks this Wednesday. I am almost settled in and looking for Dentists and Doctors. I do not like needles, therefore, I need a dentist who is really good at giving them if needed I was told of Dr. Cohrn in Lady Lake. Does anyone know of him/her? Can anyone suggest a good Board Certified Internal Medicine Doctor? Our insurance is BCBS. I will be ordering the Daily Sun tomorrow or Tuesday in hopes of finding some doctors to call but really would like recommendations from those that have lived her for a few. Thank you for any and all information! Have a Happy and safe Labor Day!
Old 09-06-2016, 02:10 AM

.How do this people get thru the gates?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 PM

I have to say, I read about City Furniture on here prior to going into the store. My thought was, all of this can't be true... maybe some of these villagers are just cranky. I have to say... I was proven wrong. I gave City Furniture the benefit of the doubt and I got BURNED! My initial experience was somewhat pleasant. I met a nice fake blonde who had a forced bubbly attitude, previously I am sure she is multiple times divorced and an alcohol QVC shopper. Anyway, I went in the first time and it was good. It was each time after that was more and more ridiculous. I made a large order with delay after delay on the delivery. Leslie felt so bad she asked to take me for drinks! Anyway, there was a delay on the delivery for months. I grew more and more agitated. Finally, I cancelled. I had to hound Leslie to return my phone calls, calling the store manager didn't work either, so I dialed the number on the pamphlet.. Customer Service.. Good old for nothing, usually stupid and confused Customer Service. It was lucky they knew their own name, seriously. Unless you had your invoice number ready and agreed with whatever they said, they were going to be rude and unsatisfactory. After multiple attempts at reaching corporate unsuccessfully, I gave up. The local general manager was less of a help than anyone.. he just smiles and nods a lot without any clue of what's going on.. Skip my nonsense process and save yourself of the troube.. GO TO BABETTE'S, WHITES, KANES or anywhere else. Go anywhere with customer service.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:45 PM

I totally agee. Just had to replace LASTER LAWN CARE. Terrible service but I made the mistake of contacting for a year. Changed to a service my neighbors were using. Just remember not to use LASTER LAWN CARE and check with your neighbors. Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Default Not so fast my friend......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southfork67 View Post
I totally agee. Just had to replace LASTER LAWN CARE. Terrible service but I made the mistake of contacting for a year. Changed to a service my neighbors were using. Just remember not to use LASTER LAWN CARE and check with your neighbors. Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden.
Yes, yes, I know....I stole that line from my favorite College Gameday host - the great Lee Corso! However, as with most opinions offered on TOTV, there are always multiple perspectives and opinions on the same subject - including service contractors.

In this case, your not-so-great experience with Laster Lawncare (out of Ocala, just to be sure we're referring to the same) happens to be balanced by our really, really great experience with him - and for way more than just simple lawn care!

So.....as always, take everything with a grain of salt on TOTV, do your won research & interviewing of contractors, and go with your instincts. Should anyone have any specific questions about our experiences with Troy and his company, you can PM me. Cheers!!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Blinds or Plantation Shutters? The blind person is saying that the shutters keep out more of the heat. Our bedrooms are on the west side. Closing in a couple of weeks but not moving in till November. We want the blinds or shutters in before we come. Also on the shutters inside or outside mount? All opinions welcome.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackboyd2 View Post
Blinds or Plantation Shutters? The blind person is saying that the shutters keep out more of the heat. Our bedrooms are on the west side. Closing in a couple of weeks but not moving in till November. We want the blinds or shutters in before we come. Also on the shutters inside or outside mount? All opinions welcome.
If it's Rick, trust him. But he can see...........
Old 09-10-2016, 06:14 AM

I just moved into a Villa and for the most part really like it, however - when I purchased it I didn't notice the satellite dish installed by the owner of an income property next to me. The dish is installed on her roof directly across from my sliding glass door. I asked her if she would consider moving the dish and even offered to pay for it to be installed in the back of the house (like everybody else) and she refuses!! I am so disgusted with this I could just scream. I took it to the board at the VCCD yesterday and because of some stupid FCC ruling regarding satellite dishes they will not intercede. I am concerned about the safety of the dish during a windstorm as well as the ugly appearance of it from every one of my windows. I keep my sliding glass door blinds shut a ll the time now because just looking at it aggravates me. The conclusion at yesterdays meeting with the VCCD is that this woman is just a special kind of "inconsiderate" and that most Villagers are not RUDE like she is. There is a perfectly clear signal in the back of the Villa but she just doesn't care. One Villager yesterday suggested I call Channel 6 news and shame her into doing something about it. If I do that, I am pretty much drawing a line in the sand with her and I didn't move here to fight with my neighbors. Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette1 View Post
I just moved into a Villa and for the most part really like it, however - when I purchased it I didn't notice the satellite dish installed by the owner of an income property next to me. The dish is installed on her roof directly across from my sliding glass door. I asked her if she would consider moving the dish and even offered to pay for it to be installed in the back of the house (like everybody else) and she refuses!! I am so disgusted with this I could just scream. I took it to the board at the VCCD yesterday and because of some stupid FCC ruling regarding satellite dishes they will not intercede. I am concerned about the safety of the dish during a windstorm as well as the ugly appearance of it from every one of my windows. I keep my sliding glass door blinds shut a ll the time now because just looking at it aggravates me. The conclusion at yesterdays meeting with the VCCD is that this woman is just a special kind of "inconsiderate" and that most Villagers are not RUDE like she is. There is a perfectly clear signal in the back of the Villa but she just doesn't care. One Villager yesterday suggested I call Channel 6 news and shame her into doing something about it. If I do that, I am pretty much drawing a line in the sand with her and I didn't move here to fight with my neighbors. Any suggestions?
I'm surprised, since you say you see it from every window, that you didn't notice it before buying the villa. The "stupid FCC rule" is in place to guarantee the public access to over-air reception by several means on their own property. Our condo association in MI tried to ban the installation of satellite dishes but lost out. The FCC ruling was that condo owners could install the dishes in "limited common areas," such as decks and balconies.

Here is an explanation of the rule: Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | Federal Communications Commission
Old 09-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette1 View Post

Your neighbor is within his rights to have his dish there. People are allowed to add on to their homes obscuring peoples see through views of water and golf course. People can and will do things that other people may not approve of but the only things that you can complain about and get relief from the powers that be are the things listed on your deed restrictions.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Default New Villagers Help

My husband and I just moved into the village of Santo Domingo. How do we find groups to play golf with? I have a high handicap (30) and my husband's is in the low 20's. I saw a group for ladies, but my handicap is way too high. Also, has anyone used Villages Landscaping LLC to redo their yards? Thanks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.