Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 AM

We are renting in January and are looking for the home of our future. Any advice as to the "best" Village?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB46 View Post
We are renting in January and are looking for the home of our future. Any advice as to the "best" Village?
Oh...oh...now you've done it.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Default Beware of Pickle Ball

Your chances of having a pickle ball injury is huge. Don't take a break from unpacking to play what appears to be an easy game. You may end up visiting the ER and not being able to enjoy the TV's Lifestyle as soon as you had planned. I can't stress this enough!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Contrary to some advice, we came down to TV just to "look" and found the perfect home .... We had an offer accepted before we flew back north on Sunday. I'm sure this is not the typical senerio .....
Actually, it's quite common to come to TV "just to look", and end up buying a home. I think it has something to do with the chip they implant in your neck as you enter TV.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Actually, it's quite common to come to TV "just to look", and end up buying a home. I think it has something to do with the chip they implant in your neck as you enter TV.
Yours is in your neck, Bare? Mine's somewhere else. They must have snuck up on me.

I keep sitting on it and reactivating it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Any specific advice? Or, just enjoy until they put pressure on you?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 PM

I recommend getting the grout in the tile sealed before furniture is moved in, though I've heard and I knew it might void the warranty on the tile. Almost no one would wait out the year for the warranty to expire, then expend the energy to move all their furniture and get the grout sealed. The more likely scenario is you'd worry about voiding the warranty and never seal the grout. The result is eventual filthy grout and blueberry, coffee, etc stains you can't easily remove. You can search TOTV for good grout contractors.

I also recommend tying to decide before you move furniture in whether you want to change out the builder's carpet, or replace with wood, laminate, or the new up-scale vinyl flooring. Once furniture is in, the disruption to your lives to change flooring, can be miserable. Before I moved in I thought a lot about the flooring and decided I still wanted carpet in the bedrooms, but i wanted better carpeting. So, I had Mohawk Silkstrand carpet installed with a moisture-proof underpad. I thank myself every morning when my feet hit the floor that I made that decision.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:41 AM

I have heard a rumor from a Villager that you will not be able to go to a Villages Doctor's office unless you live in the "zone" that that Doctor is in. Any truth to this rumor?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to chalpm

Thanks for all of your posts. We're moving into a new build in 3 weeks and need all the advice we can get. Hired a landscaper for 3 months to look after place till we get there hoping that will give us time to talk to other residents before we make a permanent decision. So glad to hear your comments re: furniture. We are only bringing bedroom set and tv. not using moving co but renting a truck, towing one car, driving the other. Tell me it gets better...so much to do!!
Old 08-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to chalpm

We're moving in 3 weeks from Angola, NY. Perhaps we can meet up? Craig & Paula
Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 PM

thanks for the advice we are moving to the village of marion sept 26 my wife me and the two dogs thanks atlantagracker
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltbuff71 View Post
I have heard a rumor from a Villager that you will not be able to go to a Villages Doctor's office unless you live in the "zone" that that Doctor is in. Any truth to this rumor?
I guess you are talking about the centers that the villages are building to provide health care. I understood that once all are finished, you can go to any of them.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Gold member

You can go to anyone of them as soon as it opens. That may apply only to United Health Care and Prefered Care Partners.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 PM

We just moved to our home the first week of August. The door pounders were unrelenting. Especially the water system folks. We did select a pest prevention company and used TOTV to help us make that call. We, however, did jump right in on the furniture purchase and believe we could have done more shopping to control costs more but when you come with nothing you don't have the luxury to wait too long.
We are evaluating still the golf packages and companies for solar panels and landscaping. Not everything can be done in a couple of months.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!
We've been in the Villages for 4 weeks and are constantly harassed by the water system salespeople. Nice to know that it's not necessary. Thanks for the info.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.