Historic Side Neighborhood revitalization Confirmed

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I just went by that lot at the end of Bowersox and there are surveyor's flag up.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I just went by that lot at the end of Bowersox and there are surveyor's flag up.
They are taking out trees on the property today. Trees right along the property of TV.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 794 Posts

The plot thickens.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I was told by a real-estate person several years ago, if you buy property on the historical side it is best to not have a survey because if a big old tree was in the way of proper house placement Mr. Schwartz would instruct the installers to just move the house over. I guess that could result in a shift of the next house.

I will be watching for surveyors yelling “what the #@$%”.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
So...you think..that the Morses bought the Brown property?

Everyone,,,,we are talking about a yet unconfirmed thing here.
if you really stop and think about it, who else would pay 1 million more than the property is worth ..... on a land locked plat....
my bet is the villages.....

just think about the guy who only paid 70k for the land in 1998.......Brown?......or whomever......he's sitting on $2,850 million..... now thats profit..... lucky guy.....
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
So...you think..that the Morses bought the Brown property?

Everyone,,,,we are talking about a yet unconfirmed thing here.
I say no way 50,000 kids can walk across the Mexican/U.S. border and no way Mr. Brown sold his property to TV. Nobody is right 100% of the time. 50%?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
I was told by a real-estate person several years ago, if you buy property on the historical side it is best to not have a survey because if a big old tree was in the way of proper house placement Mr. Schwartz would instruct the installers to just move the house over. I guess that could result in a shift of the next house.

I will be watching for surveyors yelling “what the #@$%”.
It seems that a lot of people have been told a lot of things by real estate agents. who knows which of them, if any, are true.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,533 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
if you really stop and think about it, who else would pay 1 million more than the property is worth ..... on a land locked plat....
my bet is the villages.....

just think about the guy who only paid 70k for the land in 1998.......Brown?......or whomever......he's sitting on $2,850 million..... now thats profit..... lucky guy.....

I have too much faith in Mr. Gary Morse to think he would EVER pay a million MORE than a property is worth. He didn't get where he is making dumb decisions. I have to think the property is worth what he paid for it IF he bought it...

but you all know I think he is a very smart man and he employs a herd of people around here and keeps the economy going. Keeping people employed keeps folks off welfare and gives them dignity and pride.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
They are taking out trees on the property today. Trees right along the property of TV.
If you go right up to Mr. Brown’s property line and look into his big, big, big back yard you will see he raises trees for landscaping and all of the trees have micro irrigation and that includes the trees and bushes along the property line. My guess is the trees being taken out were to be transplanted at a job site.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Question Buying in Historic Section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic1 View Post
It’s not so much as revitalizing the historical side, as there is no more affordable housing. There are more people that want seasonal homes at a reasonable price, than the inflated prices in the new areas. The historical side offers everything The Villages has. So why wouldn’t they buy the old, and make them new. Its all about sales.
Okay, I am looking for some honest opinions here...

Although we have never lived in a mobile/trailer/modular before, my husband and I were considering purchasing in the "historic" section. Although, I must admit it does makes me giggle every time I think of a 80's era mobile/trailer/modular as "historic"

Our reasoning was that we could upgrade the unit to our taste and have, what seems to me, a nicer lot with the opportunity for a water or golf course view. Even after the rehab, we will be spending considerably less than the "newer" sections. many of which also need some updating.

It is not that we cannot afford a new(er) home, it is just value for the dollar. I would like us to be able to retire sooner than later as some health problems have popped up...

I would appreciate some honest opinions from others on the forum if there is a flaw in our thought process. Some comments on this forum made this section seem, well, less than desirable. I believed myself to be comfortable with the thought of living on the historic side, but, now I will be honest, I do not want to find ourselves a social pariah because of our neighborhood choice.

COCOMO
Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCOMO View Post

Although we have never lived in a mobile/trailer/modular before, my husband and I were considering purchasing in the "historic" section. Although, I must admit it does makes me giggle every time I think of a 80's era mobile/trailer/modular as "historic"

Our reasoning was that we could upgrade the unit to our taste and have, what seems to me, a nicer lot with the opportunity for a water or golf course view. Even after the rehab, we will be spending considerably less than the "newer" sections. many of which also need some updating.

It is not that we cannot afford a new(er) home, it is just value for the dollar. I would like us to be able to retire sooner than later as some health problems have popped up...

I would appreciate some honest opinions from others on the forum if there is a flaw in our thought process. Some comments on this forum made this section seem, well, less than desirable. I believed myself to be comfortable with the thought of living on the historic side, but, now I will be honest, I do not want to find ourselves a social pariah because of our neighborhood choice.

COCOMO
Have you been down to look at the historic side? That would be the best way to decide. I believe many people have done what you're thinking of doing.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 PM

We bought in the historic side this past December, and we have absolutely no regrets. We could afford more, but we didn't want to be a slave to our home. We already have one that consumes too much of our time and money. When it sells, our little "home" will be all we need. No matter what happens down the road, I'm sure our investment was a good one.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
zillow or trulia, you can choose which one you would like..... then you can check Lake county tax appraiser and find out who bought it, from whom and how much they paid...... all public information.....no guessing involved...
Quote:
it hasn't been filed in the Lake county tax appraiser as of yesterday. Sometimes takes a few weeks to catch up to the sales. Give it time, we will soon know.... I'll be watching.....
So I'm wondering ... since Zillow and Trulia simply aggregate public real estate records, why isn't the information shown on Zillow found anywhere on Lake County's website? What is the source that Zillow is pulling from and why can't we access it?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCOMO View Post

COCOMO
There are tons of rental opportunities over here. You might consider coming down and renting a place for some time and the decide for yourself.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 PM

CFrance - Thank you for your response. Yes, we will be in TV for a lifestyle visit in early October.

dBanks50 - It is nice to hear a similar story. Yes, we also have a too big home, which takes too much of our time and energy!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.