Historic Side Neighborhood revitalization Confirmed

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Manufactured homes do not sit on pads. They sit on stacks of concrete blocks. That is the primary difference between them and modular homes.
Well that sure sounds like a trailer home to me...
Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
You always need a permit to demolish a structure and that is pretty easy.
I have a feeling, based on how quickly building permits are issued here,
that Mr. Morse can get his permit(s) lickety split -- in no time.
It appears as though he is not concerned about getting the permit (they already started the work). I guess that is one of the perks in doing that volume of business in the communities.

It will be interesting to see what type of homes will be built on these parcels...I am betting they will be stick built and have a garage...anyone want to bet against me?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Not a necessary post.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
That makes me think that you don't know that a moblile home rests on wheels; whereas a manufactured or modular homes sits on a foundation.

Ask a Villages sales rep what a site built home on the historic side is and see if they don't explain that it is a modular home delivered to a concrete pad thru which utility connections have been prepared to accept the modular unit.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Not a necessary post.
I agree. There are people living over on that side that are no less human than those of us in premier homes. This thread is embarrassing to the owners in the historic side.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
It appears as though he is not concerned about getting the permit (they already started the work). I guess that is one of the perks in doing that volume of business in the communities.

It will be interesting to see what type of homes will be built on these parcels...I am betting they will be stick built and have a garage...anyone want to bet against me?

I don't mind a stick built house with a garage.....that's what many patio homes are, too.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 07-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ruger View Post
I agree. There are people living over on that side that are no less human than those of us in premier homes. This thread is embarrassing to the owners in the historic side.

I live on the historic side and I find your response equally out of place!

I think I can speak for many that this thread is not embarassing to those of us who live on the historic side...because we know who we are and we do not feel in the least that we have to be someone that someone else thinks we should be! We live with a comfort and confidence that some Villagers only wish they could possess.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I live on the historic side and I find your response equally out of place!

I think I can speak for many that this thread is not embarassing to those of us who live on the historic side...because we know who we are and we do not feel in the least that we have to be someone that someone else thinks we should be! We live with a comfort and confidence that some Villagers only wish they could possess.
Sorry. I meant no disrespect.
Dave
Old 07-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
That makes me think that you don't know that a moblile home rests on wheels; whereas a manufactured or modular homes sits on a foundation.

Ask a Villages sales rep what a site built home on the historic side is and see if they don't explain that it is a modular home delivered to a concrete pad thru which utility connections have been prepared to accept the modular unit.
And possibly Dr. Winston does not know either...

I did not intend to offend anyone, I read my post and understand how it could come across that way and maybe I should have worded it better, sorry for that.

The intent of my post was to point out that there was some discrepancy in what type of homes are over there. I had mentioned in the previous thread that some of the homes looked to be from the era of trailer homes (I posted a picture of one), Dr. Winston chimed back that there was no trailer homes over there, and then he comes back yesterday and states some of the homes over there are set on stacked up blocks. That sounds like a trailer home and the picture I posted looked like a trailer home.

Not sure if some on here think it is wrong of me to believe some of those homes look to be trailer homes, or do they think it is it just wrong of me to share that opinion...
Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I did not intend to offend anyone, I read my post and understand how it could come across that way and maybe I should have worded it better, sorry for that.

The intent of my post was to point out that there was some discrepancy in what type of homes are over there. I had mentioned in the previous thread that some of the homes looked to be from the era of trailer homes (I posted a picture of one), Dr. Winston chimed back that there was no trailer homes over there, and then he comes back yesterday and states some of the homes over there are set on stacked up blocks. That sounds like a trailer home and the picture I posted looked like a trailer home.

Not sure if some on here think it is wrong of me to believe some of those homes look to be trailer homes, or do they think it is it just wrong of me to share that opinion...
You did the right thing and apologized. IMHO, you owe no further explanation.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:

In my view it is wrong of anyone to share an opinion or other comment that can be taken as an insult or offensive to someone who could be a party to the opinion/comment. Especially on social media such as TOTV, we pretty much have no idea of the readership. Some folks should reread their posts before hitting the 'submit' button and consider it in light of walking in the shoes of the readers. For those who forget to do that there is always the apology - thanks for yours.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
The rest of us who enjoy our well built homes will be so happy to see the historic area invigorated with new homes.
Is the inference that manufactured homes are not well-built? They do have to meet building codes. Excerpt from FEMA: Modular, panelized, and pre-cut homes must comply with the same State and local building codes as site stick built codes. Manufactured homes must meet HUD regulations.

Manufactured homes are constructed according to a code administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD Code). The HUD Code, unlike conventional building codes, requires manufactured homes to be constructed on a permanent chassis.

Most manufactured homes are on piers with poured concrete footings. As other have said, there are no slabs.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	piers.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	43610  
Old 07-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

When I hear the word trailer, I think of something that has wheels on the bottom and can be simply hooked up to a vehicle and moved. That is not the case with any of the homes over here. The term "mobile home" has been thrown around a lot and gives me the same impression, that the home is easily mobile. That is also not true. It takes a huge truck and a lot of effort to move these homes whether they are single wides, (which I think is what you are referring to when you say "trailer home") or double wides which is what most of the homes are over here. I believe you also inferred that some of these homes simply had their hitch cut off. None of these homes ever had a hitch. They are in no way trailers. Yes, they are set on blocks, but they are also secured with a set of tie downs. A permit is needed to tear one down and a permit is needed to put one up. True they are not site built and they are not modular homes. I prefer the term manufactured home, but they are in no way, trailers.

Apology accepted. Don't worry about it, I am not all that offended.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is what I think will happen. The properties will have new homes built on them that will be sold to people who will enjoy them and join the other people who now live there who are enjoying life. Most of us treasure our home and the size and style or price are not relevant to the comfort being home means. I hope that the neighbors get along with the new folks and enjoy this wonderful time in their lives. I will be glad that the crews who will build these homes have work and they can help support their lifestyles and their children. I am so glad to know that it never was a danger in a strong wind and that all that are there are safe. I know three wonderful people personally who live there and they are leaders and shakers and remarkable in every way. I hope that Orange Blossom Restaurant reopens soon so I have reason to visit that part of this lovely villages world frequently again.

It is a good thing that is happening and I am glad for it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-04-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
When I hear the word trailer, I think of something that has wheels on the bottom and can be simply hooked up to a vehicle and moved. That is not the case with any of the homes over here. The term "mobile home" has been thrown around a lot and gives me the same impression, that the home is easily mobile. That is also not true. It takes a huge truck and a lot of effort to move these homes whether they are single wides, (which I think is what you are referring to when you say "trailer home") or double wides which is what most of the homes are over here. I believe you also inferred that some of these homes simply had their hitch cut off. None of these homes ever had a hitch. They are in no way trailers. Yes, they are set on blocks, but they are also secured with a set of tie downs. A permit is needed to tear one down and a permit is needed to put one up. True they are not site built and they are not modular homes. I prefer the term manufactured home, but they are in no way, trailers.

Apology accepted. Don't worry about it, I am not all that offended.
The mobile homes from the 70s were called "trailers" in the day.
They did have a "tongue" (hitch) and a set of wheels.
The hitch and wheels were only there for its trip from the factory to the site. They removed the hitch and wheels after it was set on blocks.
(sometimes also on a pad, as it was easier crawling under with a pad.)
Skirting was added, carports, sheds etc. It was not intended to be moved again.
There are still some of these there.
If kept dry and maintained they will out last our grandchildren.
The 80s brought in the "modulars", (manufactured) single, double wides.
There are also "Pre-Fabs" there. Several sections are assembled to form the house.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.