Home appliance warranties

Old 05-09-2024, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Home appliance warranties

Has anyone done business with Broward Factories? Are they a reliable company?
Old 05-09-2024, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,338 Posts

I wouldn't buy a home warranty from any company, but, if you really want one, Broward seems to have better customer satisfaction than the others.

To me, there are 5 reasons to not buy a home or appliance warranty:

1. You cannot decide whether to repair or replace an older appliance. The warranty company decides.
2. No first rate technicians will ever service your house because they won't share their profits with a warranty company.
3. You cannot shop around for a technician when your warranty company is not immediately available. This can be a real problem when your HVAC system fails in July.
4. On average, only about 6 percent of the premium you pay is budgeted by warranty companies for repairing appliances.
5. The Villages has many excellent appliance service companies to repair almost anything very quickly. There is no need for a warranty company.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Default I have Broward

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I wouldn't buy a home warranty from any company, but, if you really want one, Broward seems to have better customer satisfaction than the others.

1. You cannot decide whether to repair or replace an older appliance. The warranty company decides.
Does it really matter? As long as my appliance is now functional, all is good.
2. No first rate technicians will ever service your house because they won't share their profits with a warranty company.
Broward has their own technicians and never farms out work.
3. You cannot shop around for a technician when your warranty company is not immediately available. This can be a real problem when your HVAC system fails in July.
Broward says that A/C calls are a priority and respond next day if not same day.
4. On average, only about 6 percent of the premium you pay is budgeted by warranty companies for repairing appliances.
I don't understand the point of this.
5. The Villages has many excellent appliance service companies to repair almost anything very quickly. There is no need for a warranty company.
A company like Broward covers all major appliances with one warranty policy. Some people like to have one number to call while others will shop around when something breaks.
I personally have Broward on my home and my rental house. I've had 3 service calls, two on a refrigerator (home and rental) and one on a dishwasher. I really liked the fact that they provided a loaner fridge for my rental. For my fridge, the led lights were strobing so I didn't need a loaner.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,940 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:

I concur, if it breaks, just call one of the service companies to come out and assess and fix. . .

Did that with my refrigerator's ice maker. Ice maker is only good for about 2-3 years max, so looking to see if I can watch and learn how to install one myself
Old 05-09-2024, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:

And read fine print really CLOSE.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I concur, if it breaks, just call one of the service companies to come out and assess and fix. . .

Did that with my refrigerator's ice maker. Ice maker is only good for about 2-3 years max, so looking to see if I can watch and learn how to install one myself
Most ice makers are 3 screws and harness. If located in the lower compartment makes it harder due to old knees and backs….
Old 05-09-2024, 09:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Most ice makers are 3 screws and harness. If located in the lower compartment makes it harder due to old knees and backs….
I replaced one last week. I just loosened 2 screws and unplugged the electrical harness to remove the old one. Tighened the screws and plugged in the harness to install the new one. It took 15 minutes and the new one cost $82 from Amazon. Easy peasy.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
I replaced one last week. I just loosened 2 screws and unplugged the electrical harness to remove the old one. Tighened the screws and plugged in the harness to install the new one. It took 15 minutes and the new one cost $82 from Amazon. Easy peasy.

There was batch of faulty ice makers few years ago. The put cheaper plastic gears in and they would fail within year. Those should all be out of service by now. One I replaced several years ago I remember 3 screws (or maybe not) and I had to transfer the harness. I must got cheaper one
Old 05-10-2024, 09:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
There was batch of faulty ice makers few years ago. The put cheaper plastic gears in and they would fail within year. Those should all be out of service by now. One I replaced several years ago I remember 3 screws (or maybe not) and I had to transfer the harness. I must got cheaper one
The old one only used 2 screws, but the new one had 3 holes. The 2 screws seemed to work fine.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,940 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
cool! That reads about right, then getting the correct replacement on line is the first trick, your's is the final trick.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2024, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
cool! That reads about right, then getting the correct replacement on line is the first trick, your's is the final trick.

Thanks!
The OEM part will cost about $250. I got a cheap imitation for $82, but it makes ice. Amazon has a lot to choose from, but some of them don't come with a new harness and the wire thing that turns it off, so you need to reuse them. When you unplug the harness, make sure you hold down the plastic clip that secures it. Also, be patient because it may take 12 hours or longer time for it to start making ice.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,212 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Aside from Time Shares, appliance/home warranties are the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American consumer.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Aside from Time Shares, appliance/home warranties are the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American consumer.
I totally agree. And, real estate agents who push a seller to buy a home warranty as a way to sell a house should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Had them in the past and they are terrible - had a problem and they spend all the time trying to get out of contract with reference to a/c - they are SCAMMERS! You have been warned!
Old 05-11-2024, 06:53 AM
Default Broward Factory Service

We have had them for several years. The service is very good. They come the same day or the next. Get the gold policy which replaces the appliance if they cannot fix it. No service charge when they are called. Read the contract well and ask questions before signing.

Tags
home, appliance, warranties, business, broward

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.