Home Inspections

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Home Inspections

If you have purchased a new home and getting close to your first anniversary. Have your home inspected by a licensed inspector before your warranty is up. The cost is approximately $200.00 for the inspection and re-inspection after problems are corrected.

When we bought our new home last year, we were lucky and haven't had any major problems as some people had. There was a couple of items that we found. We turned the list in to get warranty repairs. They (warranty department) would turn it over to the contractor, he would call and make an appointment, then come out look at the repairs, ok we'll get someone over, they get here, oh, that not our problem will send over to whoever. Kept getting the run around, so we had our home inspected by an inspector that lives here in the villages. he gave us a list of things that he found to turn into the warranty department. we went and turned it in about 10 am and that afternoon we were being called for appointments, three days later all the repairs had been completed.

Even if you buy a re-sale, get it inspected and repaired before closing. Also, be there when the inspection is done and when the re-inspection is done. Saves a lot of headaches.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Sound Advice, Dennis

Just make sure that the inpsector you hire is experienced and qualified. His membership in a professional home inspection organization or being bonded are a good indicators of professionalism.

In our case we hired a person with those qualifications and he produced a very professional report which he submitted to TV Warranty Department. Like your experience, the responsible subs began calling quickly and the work was done in a minimum amount of time. We had one issue that the builder (general contractor's superintendent) himself came out to review. That fix was quickly approved and completed even beyond my expectations.

Think of a professional inspection just prior to the expiry of your warranty as an insurance policy. The professional will go places and see things that you never would. (Are you going to get a ladder and walk your roof looking for roofing and gutter issues? Or will you crawl around in the insulation in your attic looking for electrical and structural issues?)

Like you, I found the $200 "premium" well worth it in terms of confidence that someone a whole lot more experienced than me took a thorough look at at my house, warranty or no warranty.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Default Re: Home Inspections

Where can we locate one of the inspectors that either of you has used? If there is a professional association, do you have the name or link? We'll be arriving on 12/5 to look at homes for 5 days then moving to TV on 12/28, renting for a while until we buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelstiles
Where can we locate one of the inspectors that either of you has used? If there is a professional association, do you have the name or link? We'll be arriving on 12/5 to look at homes for 5 days then moving to TV on 12/28, renting for a while until we buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
We used A 1 Villages Home Inspections ph 352-751-1075. He was really good. On time and reports.

Have a great trip down and Happy Safe Holidays
Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 AM
Veteran member

We used Housemaster (352-243-4553) but our realtor gave us a whole list that they have worked with and recommended. If you are interested I can go through our closing papers and find it.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 AM

:bigthumbsup:

Thank you Dennis and Linda - we'll be arriving tomorrow to begin looking and appreciate your suggestions!
P.S. It is FREEZING in New York right now cold
Can't wait to arrive at TV!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I also used A-1 Villages Home Inspections. In fact, he inspected all 25 houses on our street during the month before all our one-year warranty's expired. He found some important stuff for a few folks. I also used him to visit my house and do an inspection once a week while we were gone this summer. He's got over thirty years experience in the home inspection business, saying he was once of the first in his former home up north.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.