Home inspections on a new home

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2024, 02:31 PM
Default Home inspections on a new home

What do you think about having an independent home inspector looking at a new home before you buy it ? It it really needed? Can anyone recommend independent inspectors in the villages ?
Thanks
Old 01-18-2024, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,215 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam View Post
What do you think about having an independent home inspector looking at a new home before you buy it ? It it really needed? Can anyone recommend independent inspectors in the villages ?
Thanks
Perhaps just search through the Forum, for the 1,000's of posts on this subject?
Old 01-18-2024, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,372 Times in 2,321 Posts

You should plan on the inspection before the 1 year warranty is up, you can do it any time so that it is completed before the warranty runs out. We used Frank DeAngelo and were very pleased with his work, found several things I would have never found. Note he is typically booked 2 to 3 months out, so plan ahead.
As for your specific question I do not see the need to have an inspection immediately for a new house, just be careful with any changes that you might make which could void the warranty.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,158 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You should plan on the inspection before the 1 year warranty is up, you can do it any time so that it is completed before the warranty runs out. We used Frank DeAngelo and were very pleased with his work, found several things I would have never found. Note he is typically booked 2 to 3 months out, so plan ahead.
As for your specific question I do not see the need to have an inspection immediately for a new house, just be careful with any changes that you might make which could void the warranty.
I think the OP was saying BEFORE you buy which I would think it would be a great Idea.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

D’Angelo inspection just before one year will accomplish the same. Book it early
Old 01-18-2024, 03:54 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,901 Times in 3,709 Posts

Quote:
What do you think about ..............
Bottomline is you.

Are you capable, confident & "qualified"???

It's your money for an inspector, It's your money if something comes up later.

What guarantee do you get from an inspector and are they financially able to back up the guarantee?
Old 01-18-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks
We had three of our glass lanai doors replaced because of scratches. If we had waited 11 months to have the inspection Villages would not have replaced them.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,997 Times in 770 Posts

It’s not your home til closing doubt The Developer would allow it.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:17 PM

Do it!

For those having their own home built, get a pre drywall inspection done as well. This way you can really see the quality of the framing, plumbing and electrical. Once covered with drywall, it’s too late.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
We had three of our glass lanai doors replaced because of scratches. If we had waited 11 months to have the inspection Villages would not have replaced them.
We had scratches on all ours as well. Got them replaced and one of the replacements had a scratch as well.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,372 Times in 2,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I think the OP was saying BEFORE you buy which I would think it would be a great Idea.
New homes are covered by a warranty, so I stand by my previous reply.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,623 Times in 1,350 Posts

OP not sure I would hire an inspector unless house was a done deal. Punch list inspections can start at $350 depending on SF. So could get expensive if you are looking at couple of houses.

Punch Used to have 30 days. Yes Windows are a huge problem with multiple scratches. All 8 of our sliders were badly scratched. Took 3 times of replacement before all were clear and without defects. Some cabinet issues, couple floor issues. As a build house, every week we took pics with descriptions of issues. So day of closing my list was emailed to warranty by 5pm.

Initial punch list has to be submitted by day 7 or they may not replace it. We had 27 items on initial punch. Some of those had to be replaced or repaired again at 11 month inspection with Eric D’Angelo. Yes we booked Frank 6 months out. It’s our 4th with him.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:18 PM
Default The 1 year Warranty Inspection Is the fundamental inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with VT that this one year inspection is the fundamental inspection that gets the Villages Warranty work list established. However there are certain aspects of your new home which have to be documented earlier as pointed out in previous posts: Check your contract to ensure the current rules.

The walkthrough with the builder is your first chance to get problems documented especially on cosmetic scratches etc. on sliding doors, cabinets etc. This used to be a 30 day limit.

Landscaping also had a 30 day limit. I documented a severe insect/ army worm problem and after tedious complaints and documentation up the line, The Builder replaced 9 pallets worth of sod.

During construction, I pointed out hose bib location, electrical outlet location errors caused by not following the documented specific building plans that our contract was based on and using a standard model layout.

The request to do detailed construction inspection on structure, electrical, and HVAC is the responsibility of the Local Building Inspection Department. The Builder needs to get signed approval for each stage which is documented on the Board for the job and in the County Records. You could not afford to get someone such as Frank D. to oversee the County's Job; and Frank or other inspector may not want to do it do to time constraints, etc.
Your Inspection visits during construction need to be discussed with the builder since he needs to permit your access during non working hours for safety. Hopefully you can establish a cordial working arrangement.

Remember as pointed out above. it is NOT your home until the Closing.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:49 AM
Default Home Inspectors

Quote:
Thanks
Always hire an independent home inspector to inspect your potential purchase. Warranty inspections are needed on a new home, but regular home inspections are very important on pre-owned. Your Realtor may have a list of preferred inspectors, watch out for this and find and hire your own guy.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:51 AM

You won’t be able to get inspection prior to closing. You have a short time for what they consider cosmetic. I closed in Dec 2022. I wish I had an inspection the first week.

Also, Jeff Aspach is a very good inspector. 352-748-2008. We used him and so did most of my neighbors.
I know they say, you get what you pay for. In this case that’s not true and he did come in less $$ than D’Angelo and did an excellent job.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, independent, buy, villages, inspectors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.